Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slopey cuts...

I´ve taken an advantage of a cut slopey this way several times intentionaly. On trees which have wide and flat crown in plane perpendicular to the desired (read: only possible) fall direction and narrow in the other, while there are keepers around and a tight place to land the tree. The side where there is better chance to make less mess and get more friction up in the crowns is my far side, where the backcut is lower than the gun, to form the step visible in video. Good idea is, to make the far side gun akin boxcut and near side narrow kerf.
I make a sidecut lower than gun on the far side to cut through the young wood, to prevent splinters. The near side of backcut is level, or just a hair higher than the gun. When the tree starts to go, the friction of the crowns make it roll, move to front and down from the stump on the near side, while the far side step holds it there for some time, acting as a pivot. The crown thus turns itself by the narrow side first into the fall, so it grabs and stomps less trees around. Chasing the hinge with the tip of the bar (long enought) is a good thing to do, saves a lot from the butt. One must keep in mind that the butt at times slide to the far side and back, so I wouldn´t dare to make the step on my near side.
Not OSHA aproved, but here and there under specific circumstances, this can save a lot of headache and prevent the need to use the yellow diesel wedge to bring´er down (and tearing the leave trees while doing so)

I think he means you can't trust the gun on a big ass tree. Hence the gunning sticks.

Bad back cuts happen northy. Some days it's the chain, some days the bar, and sometimes me.

And what are you doing up so early?? I'm parked in the woods waiting and it's still dark as hell here.

Machine shop starts at 5 am, won't see day light again until monday.

Had a good week in the woods 3 loads sent and one ready to go... this day job thing is getting bothersome.

So it's to windy and wet to go in the woods today. So while I wait for the mailman to deliver my new helmet from pfanner. Got to looking at this maple that's too close to my bbq that I'm gonna have to deal with this spring.
I'm thinking it's definitely way to much tree for my 372 to handle, I'm guessing I'm gonna have to find something 100cc+ that's at least muffler modded if not a full on port job. I'm hoping my 36" bar is long enough......

Ya I hate when the wind keeps me out of the woods

Attachments

• IMG_20171030_124106.jpg
    IMG_20171030_124106.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 41
Hi from Vermont
First pic is red pine. Headed for telephone poles. Planted 1923. Should have been bigger but tough ground and not thinned on schedule.

Pic 2. Skidding red pine poles. We are mostly cut to length but have a cat 515 skidder when we need it.

Pic.3 nice red oak

Pic 4
nice white pine

Attachments

• 20171006_135714.jpg
    20171006_135714.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • 20171020_145045.jpg
    20171020_145045.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 20170727_142917_001.jpg
    20170727_142917_001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • 20170901_141350.jpg
    20170901_141350.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 57
So it's to windy and wet to go in the woods today. So while I wait for the mailman to deliver my new helmet from pfanner. Got to looking at this maple that's too close to my bbq that I'm gonna have to deal with this spring.
I'm thinking it's definitely way to much tree for my 372 to handle, I'm guessing I'm gonna have to find something 100cc+ that's at least muffler modded if not a full on port job. I'm hoping my 36" bar is long enough......

Ya I hate when the wind keeps me out of the woods
You got enough machine to move them logs if and when ya get that beast on the ground?

Hoping by the time of the show to have a new harvester in blue with a sp head, this old girl is still running just not liking the steady diet of company work again.
137689bed9b6ec056c16b238d418fd67.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hey ,i used to have a 461 just like that one. ,Nice work HEath. What did you do with the logs ?

Hey ,i used to have a 461 just like that one. ,Nice work HEath. What did you do with the logs ?

You sent me that Saw & Bar. [emoji41]

None of the logs in that picture were Saw Log quality so those went to the WoodYard for Pulp Wood.

Out of the 19 trees taken down, there were only 5 Saw logs: the trees were along a driveway & had cat faces & other issues in almost every tree.

34bd27697a5472a0df56cd15c539edac.jpg

Pictured on the Gradall are 2 of the 5 Saw logs.

You sent me that Saw & Bar. [emoji41]

None of the logs in that picture were Saw Log quality so those went to the WoodYard for Pulp Wood.

Out of the 19 trees taken down, there were only 5 Saw logs: the trees were along a driveway & had cat faces & other issues in almost every tree.

34bd27697a5472a0df56cd15c539edac.jpg

Pictured on the Gradall are 2 of the 5 Saw logs.

OK guys, new to all this, but I'm looking to buy 75-100 acres in Alabama. Recently retired and want to buy a portable sawmill to build a log home and shop and presently live in over taxed Fl.

What is a cat faced log, and why would it not make good lumber or logs for building? Got a lot more questions but I'll start another post for that.

thanks, Ken

Back