Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, another learning situation. In the group of photos above felling the small aspen. The last picture shows a cut I've never seen. I'm assuming the notch is made first, then the plunge cut in the middle and the wedge driven in, and then the two side cuts made? Is that correct. Purpose is to fell the tree in a certain direction, but diameter of the tree doesn't allow driving the wedge behind the bar like traditionally done, correct? I guess you are extremely careful sneaking up on the "hinge" when making the side cuts?
Yes it's called a dovetail, when dealing with trees to small to proper back cut and too large to manhandle over. It allows for wedgeing over without getting your bar pinched.

You do your face notch, plunge through the center of the notch to the back slip your wedge in the back in the kerf you just made. Then with you bar tip pointed towards the notch come in on each side * don't forget to leave a hinge for control*

justve where your wedge is about and inch. Make your side cuts so they are a hair beyond where the wedge is but not all the way across the back. When you tap tour wedge in it should lift the tree over leaving a dovetail and your bar won't pinch.

I think that describes it well. If not I'm sure someone will correct me.
It's really usefull on the smaller diameter trees. Try it sometime, it's another tool in your falling toolkit

Haven't done much felling and nothing where it was really critical. But definitely noticed the unusual cut so wanted to learn the particulars. You never know when felling a tree is going to be critical. Most of my experience has been clean up after hurricanes and storms and trees already on the ground. I try not to get my bar pinched, sometimes I think I know which way the pressure is coming from, but still wind up having to get another saw. Need to get/find some plastic wedges.

Haven't done much felling and nothing where it was really critical. But definitely noticed the unusual cut so wanted to learn the particulars. You never know when felling a tree is going to be critical. Most of my experience has been clean up after hurricanes and storms and trees already on the ground. I try not to get my bar pinched, sometimes I think I know which way the pressure is coming from, but still wind up having to get another saw. Need to get/find some plastic wedges.

http://www.madsens1.com/PDF/17catonlne.pdf?

I thought they would be much more than that. I gotta get me a few of those. I really like that jack on page 6. I've got a 20ton air over hydraulic. I can load the 60 gal compressor and 5500watt generator on a small trailer and pull it around behind the 4 wheeler. As long as I can get within 100' of that bad boy I'm golden. I got 100' of air hose. LOL!

I thought they would be much more than that. I gotta get me a few of those. I really like that jack on page 6. I've got a 20ton air over hydraulic. I can load the 60 gal compressor and 5500watt generator on a small trailer and pull it around behind the 4 wheeler. As long as I can get within 100' of that bad boy I'm golden. I got 100' of air hose. LOL!

Sounds Ideal.

As far as the tongue & Groove felling procedure mentioned above,

I get my 5" wedges at at the local hardware store and my 8" and 10" ones at the husqvarna dealership.

I always keep at least 3 of each on me, they have saved my bars many times. Also good when bucking to keep the kerf from closing on the top of the cut when you closer to the bottom of the bucking cut. Also good to throw at your "helper" to get his/her attention from thier cell

I Like Dealing With Madsen’s.

I ordered an even dozen 10” K&Hs this evening, along with some more Rifled Wedges.

Those things are the Cat’s Grass for moving a tangled up or minor back leaning tree.

A Peavy, & Axe Handle, & something else I don’t remember finished my Christmas Shopping.

Here's my falling jack
e9e231112b303c2f56e87e822cf02108.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bitzer was the first one I've seen do that. Actually , I learned it from him. I've used it many times since then. I bore all the way thru First. Set a wedge in the back side. Not to tight but snug. Then I put in the face. . Smack the wedge a couple times . Start my back cut and pound the wedge. Being careful not to cut too much.
Wish I had figured out this When I was wedging small trees out of a fish crik.

What do you guys think of this triple hinge thing ? Never heard of it till couple days ago .Must be a east coast type of cut ?

What do you guys think of this triple hinge thing ? Never heard of it till couple days ago .Must be a east coast type of cut ?

I think he should have moved his face around more to compensate for the lean, as shown in Mr. Dent’s or Jeff Jepson’s falling manuals.

Back