Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ole Essavator make clean up a little nicer,

Swipe the majority of the limbs away, then just come through bump the knots and buck to length, should have er cleaned up in about an hour come monday. Already did the essavator bit, but runned out of daylight

Machine is just big enough to pick each stick up and position them so I don't have to dig through anything.

Normally though, with just a skidder this would be an ass ache and a half

Forgot you had a digger. I've noticed much of your ground is pretty flat. Is that typical for the area or you just get lucky?
50/50 split I'm a few hours south of Northman it's a good reason to have a cutting partner or learning to say to have someone else come in yes you lose money but it's not your neck or family on the line.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If he'd have flattened himself at least he made it easy for the workplace safety investigators to reconstruct what happened. They just had to play the video. Northy could have gone viral post-humerously. Every forestry training coarse would play his video.

Forgot you had a digger. I've noticed much of your ground is pretty flat. Is that typical for the area or you just get lucky?
Most of my work is on the valley floors, or on the islands. It gets steep out here though, This is where the Yarder was more or less invented, Skagit Steel of Skagit yarder fame is about 10 mi from where I'm currently cutting, Madill is 80 mi north.

I very occasionally bid on steeper stuff, but I'm really not set up for it, short pulls I can do, anything more then say 100' is just goofy with a skidder. I've cut on a bit, but its rare.

Of the entire state of WA say 1/3 is timber (maybe 1/2?) and 75% of that is DNR or Forest Service/wilderness ground, the rest is either private, or private industrial. Of that ground, the private stuff, average homeowner type stuff is maybe 5%. Couple that with pretty much every piece of ground out side the valley floors is either wilderness, Forest service or DNR ground.

For a County the size of Delaware the habitable ground is only about 10%, and most of that is city. And folks don't believe in Sasquatch... oh and we got 3 volcanoes dormant or maybe active:eek: within 70 miles of home...

Most of my work is on the valley floors, or on the islands. It gets steep out here though, This is where the Yarder was more or less invented, Skagit Steel of Skagit yarder fame is about 10 mi from where I'm currently cutting, Madill is 80 mi north.

I very occasionally bid on steeper stuff, but I'm really not set up for it, short pulls I can do, anything more then say 100' is just goofy with a skidder. I've cut on a bit, but its rare.

Of the entire state of WA say 1/3 is timber (maybe 1/2?) and 75% of that is DNR or Forest Service/wilderness ground, the rest is either private, or private industrial. Of that ground, the private stuff, average homeowner type stuff is maybe 5%. Couple that with pretty much every piece of ground out side the valley floors is either wilderness, Forest service or DNR ground.

For a County the size of Delaware the habitable ground is only about 10%, and most of that is city. And folks don't believe in Sasquatch... oh and we got 3 volcanoes dormant or maybe active:eek: within 70 miles of home...
Looks like Mt Hood maybe active again did you see that last night?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Say wut?!

No man I don't get no news out here in the sticks... I'll have to look into that.

Luckily Mt Hood is a long long ways away from home.

Glacier Peak is in the back yard, Mt Baker to the north, and Rainier to the south, then Adams, St Helens, Mt Hood, Shasta etc...

Back cut is a little tall, but not painfully so.

A deeper face is always a win. Just don't over do it.

1/3 I would consider a good starting point, up to halfway being a good stopping point, say 40%? But like all things take that with a grain of salt, cause for heavy leaners, you wan't to fudge a little to the shallow side, especially if you plan on boring it.

Really in the end it looks like just too much hold wood, either you bailed early or it left quicker then you would have liked.

It was one of those days for logger Wade recently. Makes me feel a little better about the ones that got away on me.

So you think I should have gone more than a 1/3 of the diameter with my notch?
I thought might back cut might have been too high.

It is hardwood, obviously some with high yield and tensile strenght (oak, maybe hickory? I´m not all that familiar with american species). So having the face width of 3/4 stem dia if possible or even a bit more is a good thing, if it´s not a leaner or some nasty thing. Having a high backcut step is to be avoided in such conditions, but this seems still on top of the OK side to me.
The main trouble I would say, was the secondary stem/rootswell. Had it been cut 2" more into the trunk, there was no loss on accounted butt dia and the face was covering that, even as it was cut. The piece of wood of the rootswell which was barely touched with the face as well as by the backcut (like 2"x2,5"?), can take a lot of beating and makes for a helluva forces, as the tree goes down.
Then the freezing temp, couple that with the fact that heartwood (esp. on closed pore species) has significantly less humidity content compared to young wood and sapwood-you end up with kind of a "brittle icy shell" around the core.
While in the summer, the sapwood takes a lot of bend and the heartwood is brittle in comparison, in the winter the situation is frequently opposite with some species: the heartwood acts almost the same, but the (in comparison) more water-saturated, frozen sapwood is way more brittle because of ice formed in the cells. But still pretty strong, so it provides you with the mess you´ve encountered.
As far as my personal experience goes, falling frozen hardwoods usualy calls for chasing the hinge hard once it starts to move, using as high % width of the face as possible. If there was a significant temp drop 1-3 days before, the forces in the sapwood are quite significant and this behavior can be thus realy pronounced and I don´t go without significant side cuts (sapcuts) just below the face over hinge area.

Just my biased 0,01

Back