Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics Hammer, but you need to show them some big-uns!

Guys just dont realize what kind of ground we got over there, & the timber, Like you mentioned, getting into those dark hollows full of giant poplars that are straight & round just like ponderosas. It dosent get any better than that for us..

1259897278.jpg

Gunning a nice pine this morning. I look like a grouse all puffed up with my 4 layers on, 15 degrees when I pulled into the landing this morning. I look fat! LOL!!!! (Sound like a woman) My dad says I actually turned into a "skinny little bastard" the last few years, need to put more back on (180 from 210).

1259897247.jpg

Cleaning the last two inched of the other side. Not great pictures, but hey, I do exist!

And I have on all my ppe on you PPE NAZIS!!! Glasses, Chaps, hat, full length leather caulks, ect.

I even threw a pouch and some wedges and a maggie on to look like a cutter. I really work in an office and just write on here a lot.

Man, those low Humboldts are a PITA to cut with a long bar. . . At least for me anyway. I still don't have all the various faces down pat yet. I grew up cutting the traditional exclusively. I was in my late teens before I knew you could face a tree any other way.

Nice picture Burvol! :clap:

You're a lucky dog to be able to go out and make trees bleed. . . I'd love to go work in the woods again. :cry:

The neighbors 160 acres was "thinned" for urban interface the last couple months. I knew the guy logging it, I used to work under his brothers yarder. Good thing I was at work welding all day, or I would have snuck over with the 670 or 372 and started dropping trees. LOL

I told Larry (the guy logging it) I would work for free if he let me drop some trees. . . He laughed and said, "You still don't have that out'a your system yet?" LOL

Metals,

You will never get that out of your system. You're screwed bud.

I know! LOL

Somehow, I don't feel bad about it either. Hahahaha

You got a video camera? Or your cell phone take video? I'd love to watch some videos of you felling!

I know! LOL

Somehow, I don't feel bad about it either. Hahahaha

You got a video camera? Or your cell phone take video? I'd love to watch some videos of you felling!

So you know what I'm getting myself for Christmas, eh???

A new camera that will do video as well. My old digital is about done. The LCD screen only works once in a while and it's the dawn of digital cameras, or close, a 2000 model.

That kinda reminds me of when I was working for Columbia in Humboldt County CA, and they ended up not being able to fly a unit that we had already cut because a lady who lived close to the unit said that the whirring of the helicopter blades was making her have seizures! PALCO ended up having to rock a road to the unit and conventional log it because they were worried that she would sue them :dizzy:

It does get a bit much. We lost 5 blocks totalling around 70 000 m3 because an engineer who was laying it out "thought" he saw a goshawk! Even though they have never been able to find it again we're not allowed in the area! Another lady put up a hell of fight against one of our blocks, held it up for quite awhile, until she realized she'd be able to see the ocean from her back deck once we were done! All of a sudden we were able to start right away!

It does get a bit much. We lost 5 blocks totalling around 70 000 m3 because an engineer who was laying it out "thought" he saw a goshawk! Even though they have never been able to find it again we're not allowed in the area! Another lady put up a hell of fight against one of our blocks, held it up for quite awhile, until she realized she'd be able to see the ocean from her back deck once we were done! All of a sudden we were able to start right away!

Western Sliver Grey Squirrels are the big problem here. Everyone swears they are the new spotted Owl for WA state. Go across the river to OR and there is a hunting season on the little suckers. I tend to jump out and chop tails of road killed ones in the morning with my axe and black tape them to CB attenas of various loggers on crummies and loaders when I "owe" someone some love, LOL.

So you know what I'm getting myself for Christmas, eh???

A new camera that will do video as well. My old digital is about done. The LCD screen only works once in a while and it's the dawn of digital cameras, or close, a 2000 model.

:clap:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Western Sliver Grey Squirrels are the big problem here. Everyone swears they are the new spotted Owl for WA state. Go across the river to OR and there is a hunting season on the little suckers. I tend to jump out and chop tails of road killed ones in the morning with my axe and black tape them to CB attenas of various loggers on crummies and loaders when I "owe" someone some love, LOL.

For us it's freaking Grizzly Bears. . . We always had to leave "corridors" on our units for them fuzzy buggers. They always just used the roads we made. . . Go figure. :rolleyes:

That's a big rotten pig, and those chaps are ugly! Good show!

Hey now Jacob! I know...they are ugly on me, but I have such pretty legs LOL. Those were brand new at the time and loose. I just wear them. One of the big outfits I contract for (my main gig now in the summer) requires contractors to wear all the stuff and no spliced tapes, I laughed when I read the no spliced tapes bit before I signed the contract with them.

The spliced tape....ahh a horror story from the ancient times.

Back in da old days, when clearcuts were common and three load logs were common, dere was some nice Noble Fir, and a special order for that fir.

The purchaser (mill) got our blessing to take a cat down and to build a bed for said firs. It was a high lead unit. They did so, and the fallers used jacks. The trees landed where they were supposed to, and not much breakage.

Enter the bucking, and a spliced tape. Badly spliced. Well, I'll just say there was yelling, cussing, and hardhat throwing after the bucking and I think the faller was sent packing.

As for working in cold weather. I have switched to polyester fleece. Layers of thin stuff. Micro fleece tops. Turtle neck zippy tops. Regular fleece tops over that if I'm not going to be moving all the time. Fleece is light weight, washes nicely, and keeps you warmer when it is wet. Just watch it when standing around a landing fire. Polyester longjohns under jeans when it is dry like now, or tin pants most of the time.

I think everybody thinks I must be depressed or a goth. I find the black colors are usually on sale the most. The tops are a bit spendy when not on sale but really last and are worth it.

Slowp,

We know der is da issues with no light an lots o cold water fallin' from da sky in yer world. Black is totally an acceptable way of showing your love/hate relationship all of us PNW loggers have with nature, the hatred coming to a head this time of year.

As for the spliced tapes, never owned one...kinda lazy and dumb if you ask me, plus I am super touchy about log quality. That's my claim to fame, make the prettiest logs around. :) I tape mine out to 9 inches so I usually get longer life. I used to go 5-6. Jasha recommended 9, and here I am for a year and a half. I like it.

Back