Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the tree some require more work to chase then others. Typically I'll start on the high side walk over to the high side with the nose edge it up then finish whatever I can from the high side.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The low sides must hate you..

Not really we do it all the time with a 32 or 36 on oversize walk the nose around meet your cut then back to the high side not a huge deal.

Review your previous statements for low sides.......

Hotsaws, and TarzanTree... can't go wrong

Would any of us know how to pull off a siswheel without either one of them guys? except maybe Bob...

I had the good fortune of attending the Montana GTG in 2012, and the even better fortune of getting some actual instruction from Cody himself while there. That guy is so competent, and so humble, and such an excellent teacher that I can't help but want to master what I've learned and pass it on. Fortunately, I get a new fire crew every year, and every crew has one aspiring sawyer with the basics down who is ready to move past S-212 and learn to deal with problem trees. I wouldn't know 99% of what I know if it weren't for the fine folks here on AS, and I thank you all for the opportunity to give it back.

I think Experience encourages Logic, where inexperience hugs The Side of Resisting Change.

Not to be argumentative, but there are some that have the experience but seem unwilling to try new things, or just stubborn... or inexperience promotes a willingness to try new things just cause.

Confusing no?

And here I am going off on Tethering... wonk wonk wonk new fangled gadgetry wonk wonk wonk... I feel thats different some how though, in that its new tech and the bugs haven't begun to be worked out, so I'm just leary of spending loads of money on an as yet unproven idea... Its not exactly like a bar and chain costs 500000, and could ruin my company...

No, I’m still not getting it. There is no bypass when I put my face notch in, I didn’t cross over the bottom cut with the top angle cut.
then I start the back cut on the far left side and bring it around. Put a wedge in, then chased the hinge using the top of the bar.

Ifnh, is the kerf shelf you mention, the four inches in the sapwood next to the holding wood on the log? Left is standing behind the stump as in the picture. Are you saying I create this when doing my back cut?
I used to frame so to me “kerf” is the width of the saw blade on the back cut.
The fracture I see is in the bottom right where the butt is sitting on the stump, is that what your referring to?

That's called a dutchman , below the hinge your horizontal face cut has gone deeper than the angled face cut, those cuts should normally always meet, that'd be why you had to chase the backcut to get it to go over.

image.png

Not to be argumentative, but there are some that have the experience but seem unwilling to try new things, or just stubborn... or inexperience promotes a willingness to try new things just cause.

Confusing no?

And here I am going off on Tethering... wonk wonk wonk new fangled gadgetry wonk wonk wonk... I feel thats different some how though, in that its new tech and the bugs haven't begun to be worked out, so I'm just leary of spending loads of money on an as yet unproven idea... Its not exactly like a bar and chain costs 500000, and could ruin my company...

True.

Confusing no?

LOL...I told Wilbur and I told Orville that that damn contraption would never fly and they ought to stick to fixing bicycles in Dayton Ohio.

Yeah, as we get older we tend to resist change. Wait 'til you get as old as I am.

I have to admit that the new technology in logging has been mostly for the good. Things have changed in this business faster than I ever thought possible and if a guy doesn't keep up he'll get so far behind that he'll never get his head above water. It's all about production and it always has been. Sometimes that's a shame.

Gotta say though that tethering just plain makes me nervous. That's a lot of machinery, not to mention a human being or two, hanging out there on the end of that line.

Happy New Year everybody, I'm going crabbing.

A lot if the new tech is good, processors etc,

Just never trusted cable much, at least not with my life, especially in logging conditions
It's also an assist not a full out drag up dead weight, I don't trust cable much either but the guys running the setups that have had an issue haven't flopped over or slid very far. It'll help with erosion since they're not having to dig huge ruts in the hillsides and it's also ground they've cut without having the cable assisting them in those areas now.

When its below 30 here ,the sapwood in doug fir freezes and kills my chain after a couple cuts ,do you guys have that problem with the hardwoods when it is real cold like zero ?

I'm still cutting downed salvage junk in the humid heat, dreaming about -15'c so I could stop sweating to put some padding on.
Thanski
I know the feeling. In summer I can't wait for winter. In winter I think about summer. It's go time tho so what ya gunna do. Eating lunch warming in the truck as the wind is picking up. Skidding this am and cutting this afternoon. -25 to -30f with the wind is what they're claiming. Either I'm getting used to it or they're full of ****. I do like the cold better then the heat though. And for the record my wife is a damn good cook and gives a scowl if you don't go back for seconds.... And maybe thirds...

When its below 30 here ,the sapwood in doug fir freezes and kills my chain after a couple cuts ,do you guys have that problem with the hardwoods when it is real cold like zero ?
The sap runs into the roots in fall. Do conifers do that? I never thought about it. I would guess they would. Anyway I don't notice much difference in chains. The wood is typically more brittle and won't hang on the stump as long. It's also lighter not having much water in the stem.

The sap runs into the roots in fall. Do conifers do that? I never thought about it. I would guess they would. Anyway I don't notice much difference in chains. The wood is typically more brittle and won't hang on the stump as long. It's also lighter not having much water in the stem.
The fir i have been cutting the heart is dry ,but the sapwood is wet and froze ,this was the last couple of weeks ,thawed out now i have not tried this week yet but should cut normal now .

Back