Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the outfits who seems to get every third or fourth one of our contracts has a neat delimber/harvester unit I don't know the name of, shovel drops the skidded tree on a bunk and it's limbed and bucked in a single movement, ready to be loaded. I'll grab a pic next chance I get. It's the only one I've seen like this. I think it's hydraulic, run from some kind of PTO from the shovel.
An outfit that was here in the Copper Basin had a Prentis like what you described.
The Hahn was the most common that I've seen here on the mainland.

Here's the exact setup we use to run before going to the processors.

Very similar except the delimber isn't a separate stage. Also it's good up to about 30".

An outfit that was here in the Copper Basin had a Prentis like what you described.
The Hahn was the most common that I've seen here on the mainland.

It's obvious that I need to go find this thing and take pics, and all that . Here's egg on my face for not paying enough attention.

cost and real estate a Hahn would take up I can't afford, most of my jobs i barely have enough room to turn the skidder around in.

For now I'm good with limbing the first 45-60' by hand, not many limbs, its the chip and saw/pulp looking stuff that gets to be a bother.

If there is enough for a chip and saw log its worth the effort, but barely.

Fire wood is getting 200-300 per cord depending on how close to civilization you might be, Roughly 1 ton of wood, pulp is getting around $30 a ton.

cost and real estate a Hahn would take up I can't afford, most of my jobs i barely have enough room to turn the skidder around in.

For now I'm good with limbing the first 45-60' by hand, not many limbs, its the chip and saw/pulp looking stuff that gets to be a bother.

If there is enough for a chip and saw log its worth the effort, but barely.

Fire wood is getting 200-300 per cord depending on how close to civilization you might be, Roughly 1 ton of wood, pulp is getting around $30 a ton.
That's also one reason so many guys have went to a harvester or processor they take up less space, you can fall with one, guys load with them as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's too bad we can't get Bwildered over on this side of the pond. Maybe he could give us a skill demonstration. We promise that no matter how obnoxious he is we won't add any pages to his dental record. We might make him ride in the back of the crummy though, just to get some peace and quiet.
He could pack in with us on steep ground and spend the day. One day would probably be enough for him.
We could stand him up next to a good size Doug or Sugar Pine, show him where we want the tree, and watch him work. And then another, and another, and another, and another just as fast and hard as a guy could safely go. You know, real logging. As in "you find fault with everything we do...show us what you got there, hot stuff".
I'll bet we could find him some short ground and a big cedar and tell him that he loses points...and maybe his job...if he busts it up. I wouldn't let him anywhere near a redwood.
In return we could swing a couple of trees for him. We could show him that it really is possible to do the things we already know we can do. He doubts us. His loss.
I doubt if he'd take us up on a day in the woods with real loggers. He's a weekend warrior, a one tree a day kinda guy. That's not so bad but he won't listen to the people he should be listening to. Again, his loss.
If he had to perform and produce at our level on a continuous basis he'd melt like the snowflake he is.
And no, I haven't taken him off ignore. I can tell from NM's post what kind of blather Bwildered is spewing. Same stuff, different day.
I don't know what you're talking about, but I do agree with everything said.. Me being a weekend warrior, and 63 yrs old, we must know our limitations.. You would no more catch me running up and down the hills dropping trees, than flying!! You guys (and gals?) have nothing but my deepest respect, and admiration. If I could turn back time 30 yrs I would love to learn and work and saw like the best. I suppose I've had my fun being a retired iron worker..I get a nose bleed if I get more than 3 rungs up the ladder. Kidding.. Y'all, please play safe out there.. Cheers, K

Lots of pissing matches between east and west and the in betweens. I don' care for that stuff much. We are all logging and all our methods have evolved to suit the areas we work.
We take pride in low stumps and not breaking timber. Thrifty new Englanders make every inch count. It means we cut more scale and the landowners are getting the most out of their wood.
These are pics of big white pine as I have been slinging over the last few weeks.

But also cutting hardwood
2 pics of the triple hinge. 2nd pic u can see the hard turn20180203_143710.jpg 20180203_113531.jpg 20180203_122454.jpg 20180203_122504.jpg 20180203_104923.jpg in the stem. It was Pull in hard down the hill

Be safe out there

Lots of pissing matches between east and west and the in betweens. I don' care for that stuff much. We are all logging and all our methods have evolved to suit the areas we work.
We take pride in low stumps and not breaking timber. Thrifty new Englanders make every inch count. It means we cut more scale and the landowners are getting the most out of their wood.
These are pics of big white pine as I have been slinging over the last few weeks.

2 pics of the triple hinge. 2nd pic u can see the hard turnView attachment 630364 View attachment 630365 View attachment 630368 View attachment 630369 View attachment 630370 in the stem. It was Pull in hard down the hill

Be safe out there

Attachments

• 20180118_122621.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20180118_130308.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180119_141659.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
Love the 3rd pic.. Lined up alongside the road. Staged I should say.. My friend up the hill is an old logger, maybe 75 yrs?, and he says every tree drops different. The trick is to assess just how different it will drop and compensate for It. AND, never just start sawing.. Walk around, look up, look down, walk around it again, put brain in gear and give the tree every chance to land where you want it.. I'm telling you what y'all already know.. Again, hat's off to the people in the field that make it happen.. Cheers, k

That trouble hinge, is a whole lot easier to pull off, if you call it a siswheel and put it in a humboldt.

Then your not boring into a saw log...

just sayin....

Its not so much an east vs west, but more a lack of evolution from folks that can't see the benefits to new ways of doing things.

2 pics of the triple hinge. 2nd pic u can see the hard turnView attachment 630364 View attachment 630365 View attachment 630368 View attachment 630369 View attachment 630370 in the stem. It was Pull in hard down the hill

Be safe out there

Glad to see you swinging things. If you put a snipe on the stump or the butt the pull will come out of the stump rather then the log. On hard pulls sometimes a little wood out of the butt log can't be avoided.

It's not so much an coast thing as it is a belief that these things can't be done together.
It

Not one of the lowest back cut but getting there, if you do a slight stepped back cut it seems like you get less fiber pull.
329eebb82afaf92ee522a5e2d1d5d7dd.jpg

Not one of the lowest back cut but getting there, if you do a slight stepped back cut it seems like you get less fiber pull.
329eebb82afaf92ee522a5e2d1d5d7dd.jpg

That is definitely the case for our timber, also fibre pull increases with the depth of the scarf.
Thanski

The fall. I've tried gutting the heart, snip's humboldts and small notches. from what i've been reading, Ash and Oak are similar in that they split easier than other species.
My experience has always been with Beach and Maple, which don't do this.
One other observation about Ash, the heart is rarely in the center of the tree, often off to one side.

The fall. I've tried gutting the heart, snip's humboldts and small notches. from what i've been reading, Ash and Oak are similar in that they split easier than other species.
My experience has always been with Beach and Maple, which don't do this.
One other observation about Ash, the heart is rarely in the center of the tree, often off to one side.
Heart to 1 side is common in windy areas i think,when i mill offset heart trees the boards seem to warp easier so i avoid those if possible ,could just be stress in the tree ,not your cuts.

View attachment 630620 A lot of my Ash have cracks from the heart out,
Any ideas on how to prevent this.
From all the reading I've done, it's inherent in the type of wood
Bitzer???
That type of crack is from the tree being pissed it got cut down. Some guys carry "s" shaped pieces to tap in the log when they see it starting to crap . For the life of me I can't remember what they're called. Those cracks don't go in far and on ash it's not a big deal in winter. On really high dollar logs its more viable to pound those "s" ties in to keep the crack from spreading. All species will do it. Some worse then others.

Back