Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teasing ya. No more then 6 inches of snow here at a time this winter and long stretches of good cold and no snow. Weird winter. Should be riding on frost til may

Ha, tired brain. The other crew was in the same area last winter and were in 3-4 feet November through April. We got lucky this winter.

Nother cherry. Not trying to bust yet balls northy. Just what they look like here.

View attachment 639351

Its all good, think they are rainier or mountain cherries? Native here in the PNW and not much for making fruit, unless you water them a lot and keep em pruned.

The wood is the same color as yer version, but the bark is very different, If it where a native Birch it would have white or yellowish wood. The bark looks a whole lot like Birch, but the leaves are different, I think one is more grey brown, the other more of a pink brown? I is color blind and Pinks-Browns are the worst, both end up more or less beige. Once the leaves where to come in, one has a more oval shape, the other more of a triangle, and are a whole lot easier to figure out.

I don't run into em real often and usually never over 4-5" as the Alders, Cotton Weeds and Maples will crowd them out pretty quick. That and its not a "cash crop" out here, so its never planted.

Some PNW hardwoods

turns out its a cherry... so nevermind the yacking

anyway the biggest cherry I've ever taken, most of the time they are quite small around here.

We do have the occasional large cherry. Our native species is a tiny little spindly thing (P. vulgaris) but there's an escaped cultivar that occasionally sets up shop in DF stands between 20-40 years of age. I've cut them 60-80 ft tall in unthinned plantations. They sort of give up the ghost taller than that and die out under the canopy but they do hang with the fir for a few years. I'm guessing that's what you have there.

Our cherry out here is a good way to bend a harvester bar or break a chain real quick every chance I get I rip it out and toss it into the stand.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've cut em 3' on the stump and straight A's an arrow no limbs to sixty ft but that's not the norm. Usually small twisty things. Used to be pretty high dollar. Kind of a pioneer tree that gets shaded out and dies like you guys are saying. Black cherry here.

I forget what species the non-native I most commonly find is. I'll grab a pic next chance I get. There's a stand about 100 acres that has a lot of them in there. They're about topped out so they'll be dying soon.
I'll see about getting a couple of pictures of that nasty stuff tomorrow the stand I'm in has whole areas of nothing but thanks to root rot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm really seasonal with the booze. Fire season is all PBR -- cold, cheap, plentiful. Winter? Usually really citrusy IPA's or scotch but this year for some reason I've been really into red wine. I can't explain it. It happens every ten years or so.

Some PNW hardwoods

turns out its a cherry... so nevermind the yacking

anyway the biggest cherry I've ever taken, most of the time they are quite small around here.

Was gon say we have yellow, white and silver Birch here, and that didnt look like any of them. Yellow Birch is my favorite to cut soon as the chips start flying it has this delicious sweet smell that always makes me hungry and I always seem to get hit on by the ladies more when I've been cutting yellow birch lol. Nice looking cherry though and smooth drop.

5108ffe530bdd39de09b62c1eb90cf60.jpg
79b94dd4adb83c43a5972841f973bbbb.jpg

The old 653 is headed north to her new owner next week, the new 1270 has been a dream to run everyday production is up as well as fuel consumption is down in the 3’s an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here you spent the last few years telling me dangle heads don't work. Do you like your crow raw or cooked lol?

Lol There’s places I miss the fixed head but the reach is nice so is the production. Have you been around the 415 Waratah head?

Lol There’s places I miss the fixed head but the reach is nice so is the production. Have you been around the 415 Waratah head?

Never worked it personally but looked closely. Mine was the 480. there's a bunch of them around here. I like the design, wish they would change hose routing. Only trouble I've heard of is with chain tension, but I think that's worked iut

Latest posts

Back