Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren’t the Aussie laws and Kiwi bushmen rules the same? Thought that’s what I remember from when we had a safety meeting they all had plastic wedges from what I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, don't know. We are generally pretty close in many standards and adopt some aus standards at times but I don't know if NZ adopts Aus forestry H&S standards completely.

A sledge with shot in it basically?

98dbe8facdd3aa515f0e8611962e39e915bf65ab.jpg
about 3lbs. Trying to lift a heavy tree with that is nuts. I'll make a phone call Monday and ask for some clarification on the "metal on metal" aspect of the code and how it applies to alu/alloy which, as Bwildered notes, is still technically a metal.

about 3lbs. Trying to lift a heavy tree with that is nuts. I'll make a phone call Monday and ask for some clarification on the "metal on metal" aspect of the code and how it applies to alu/alloy which, as Bwildered notes, is still technically a metal.

It looks like it’d be great for a lathe to center parts and that’s about it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one out here in the brush you’d get laughed at real fast.

Our crew is myself an employee and a truck driver it’s been that way for over 20 years since we went to CTL. The largest we’ve ever had for a crew was 5.

You're very skillful with that big rig. I was entranced watching U work that thing.

A jack will Be your friend.

Thanks, but I really rather have one of those 1270G rigs to play with and leave the jacks and big stalks to entertain someone younger.

I am told the LOs don’t care which way their trees go and there is nothing in range, if so then directional falling will just be a self imposed challenge. Randymac used the term sport falling I believe to describe some of his former off time activities - somewhat descriptive of my activities with a chainsaw just on an entirely different scale both trees and skills.

A long way to say that I have enough sport gear to keep me entertained without buying or building a jack. I would probably overload one just when I was depending on it.

Ron

Thanks, but I really rather have one of those 1270G rigs to play with and leave the jacks and big stalks to entertain someone younger.

I am told the LOs don’t care which way their trees go and there is nothing in range, if so then directional falling will just be a self imposed challenge. Randymac used the term sport falling I believe to describe some of his former off time activities - somewhat descriptive of my activities with a chainsaw just on an entirely different scale both trees and skills.

A long way to say that I have enough sport gear to keep me entertained without buying or building a jack. I would probably overload one just when I was depending on it.

Ron

1270G?

No Comprendó.

You got a porta Power Pump?

Enerpac specifically...

http://www.borntragertreejacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/35-ton-tree-jack-borntrager1.jpg

Ron

Always go as big as possible with the jacks it never hurts till you jack the tree off the hinge. The 1270 is fun and nice be interesting to do a clear cut with it one day.

Always go as big as possible with the jacks it never hurts till you jack the tree off the hinge. The 1270 is fun and nice be interesting to do a clear cut with it one day.

How big of a diameter can you go with the 1270?

How big of a diameter can you go with the 1270?

Cut 28” single cut delimb 24”, double cut I’m not sure I haven’t been in any wood of any size that part of that patch is the most logs I’ve been in yet with it.

Just guessing that it takes a lot of wood to pay for that Deere. I would think down hsell’s way in the pine plantations that the Deere would be the Cat’s meow. Turn the A/C on high, change the station from talk radio and let her eat.

Ron

Just guessing that it takes a lot of wood to pay for that Deere. I would think down hsell’s way in the pine plantations that the Deere would be the Cat’s meow. Turn the A/C on high, change the station from talk radio and let her eat.

Ron

They all are expensive anymore, the wheel machine was about the same price as a small track machine which seems nuts that a machine from Finland is more then a USA machine. I’m sure it would be but they wouldn’t like having to move it on our double drop lowboy it’s 14’5” tall with the tracks on it.

This is from safe work Australia.
image.png
And my NSW forestry chainsaw manual mentions all types of wedges & their uses, it says steel to be used on big trees & only to be hit with a sledgehammer, my sawmill is just an old lucasmill, nothing special

They all are expensive anymore, the wheel machine was about the same price as a small track machine which seems nuts that a machine from Finland is more then a USA machine. I’m sure it would be but they wouldn’t like having to move it on our double drop lowboy it’s 14’5” tall with the tracks on it.

We could pool our resources and buy this place. Once the pines mature, we could leave the Deere there for a little while. As a bonus we could put on a North America gtg. And invite bw over for a little bird hunting. Roast a pig or two and we might improve international relations. Ron

http://www.longpineplantation.com/gallery.php#37

We could pool our resources and buy this place. Once the pines mature, we could leave the Deere there for a little while. As a bonus we could put on a North America gtg. And invite bw over for a little bird hunting. Roast a pig or two and we might improve international relations. Ron

I'm hopefully going to BC at the end if the year to do some skiing with the family, no US as I've done the west coast a few times already.

I'm hopefully going the BC at the end if the year to do some skiing with the family, no US as I've done the west coast a few times already.

That’s the south not the PNW west of the cascades and north say of Eugene we don’t have pine let alone a big leaf pine.

Didnt see how much they was asking for it

also I hear the pine market is kinda soft in the south, lots of ups and downs.

And ole befuddled seems to be coming around... maybe, but Ive been wrong before, pretty sure he just likes arguing as much as I do.

Didnt see how much they was asking for it

also I hear the pine market is kinda soft in the south, lots of ups and downs.

And ole befuddled seems to be coming around... maybe, but Ive been wrong before, pretty sure he just likes arguing as much as I do.

I had heard they had softened the pine markets on the guys using pull through setups trying to force them to CTL with the price being higher for CTL wood.

Back