Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadly no, I was in a hurry and the L.O. was in the way... we all have regrets though don't we

I am not a logger as you know, but I hate falling with an audience ... both meanings intended, but primarily tree falling. Seems I always rush just to get it over.

Ron

Bewildered and Kodiak, if you go to the top of the page, I explain how I cut the ash. Frozen ash has a higher percentage of barberchairing so I leave a small hinge and usually chase that as the tree is headed down. You’ll see in most pictures there is a small hinge left in the top right corners as this is the last of the holding wood. Especially on this job when the trees has to go strait and right as there was a large shop on my left.
I’ve been doing this for a long time and am very safety conscious, this is what works for me.

"Frozen ash has a higher percentage of barberchairing so I leave a small hinge and usually chase that as the tree is headed down."

Okay. That explains it. On the leaners I do a plunge cut and leave a hinge and then cut through the strip that's left at the back. That pretty well eliminates barber-chairing. Used to call that "snippin' the bra".

No falling in this picture, hope that's ok. Was one of those perfect days with 0-degree (C) weather, clear skies and a nice view. Had an eagle soaring above me, some smaller birds chirping...almost religious after a long dark winter!
There's a house in that light spot on the left hand side, I bet they have a great view!

Attachments

• 20200319_092207.jpg
    20200319_092207.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
Back