Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the last load didn’t pay too well, no better than firewood really. With the bark falling off and some bug boaring deep into the logs, they’re not prime saw logs. So I guess that is it for the Ash lumber here.
Too bad your woodlot is gone to hell. Time to replant and wait for the next round I guess!

Well the chain didnt get damaged at all so it must have been very corroded. I did see some old nails sticking out of it 5 feet up so I decided it would be as good to cut it low than high.

I was judging by the stains. I didn't mean to infer that there was metal at your cut. Hope you don't hit any if you plan to cut it further. Ron

I was judging by the stains. I didn't mean to infer that there was metal at your cut. Hope you don't hit any if you plan to cut it further. Ron

Judging by where the nails are in relation to the centre of the tree I would say they are rotten as fcuk. It's a 50 y/o tree and a very wet softwood species at that So if the nails were in there for 40 years I would say they are pretty dead by now. Hopefully. There are some newer ones in it further up though.

846516c0704cb335b0d66569535d8379.jpg

5c52ee3cd088cd4262af315c0091e30a.jpg

e072e0687492daed42783a8bbee56482.jpg

5d690464a55782a9018b5f5779e65c8d.jpg

7d783a6c5ecccfd63eafc66fbcdfa3bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a long term trespasser here that is not qualified to post pictures but couldn't resist as I thought of some of the crooked tree posts of @woodfarmer when I came upon this dead ash while mowing today. Slightly over bar length at the felling cut. Did a bore cut, something I usually don't do and am not very good at doing. It fell where aimed and just barely rubbed the little maple I want to save - no damage to it so all was good. I didn't realize the sun had ruined most of my pictures until I downloaded them.
IMG_5278.JPG

IMG_5287.JPGIMG_5290.JPG

82* here today with just enough break in the rain to mow.

Ron

Latest posts

Back