Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it is summer down under, but that looks tropical. What kind of tree is that? Ron
It's subtropical and the tree is a Blackbutt (Eucalyptus Pilularis)
To make things interesting in that wet forest there's a ground dwelling funnel web spiders nest every few meters, they are one of the worlds deadliest spider.

MilanRV, nice looking wood. What type of animal grew that antler - a deer, an elk or something else?

Every time I see your location I am reminded of a young lady I knew 40 years ago who was from your fine country. She was one of the kindest persons I ever met.

Ron

MilanRV, nice looking wood. What type of animal grew that antler - a deer, an elk or something else?

Every time I see your location I am reminded of a young lady I knew 40 years ago who was from your fine country. She was one of the kindest persons I ever met.

Ron
Hello Ron, its from a red deer. Now its the season for finding antlers. 40 years? Thats a long time ago :) czechoslovakia was my country back then :) where meet you this lady??

For a hit and miss amateur firewood hack, I think I did a pretty good job this afternoon lining up and keeping this dying Ash out of the creek. Still can't hold a saw (or the camera) level though.

My forearms are feeling it from pounding wedges.

Ron

View attachment 696567
I mean, you could break down and buy a modern saw that is about 20 pounds lighter, wouldn't be nearly as much fun though.

So what type of products are made with Ash?

Ron
Lumber(finish/rough), railroad ties, pallet stock. It's grain pattern looks like oak so can be used in exchange somewhat. My first thought is always baseball bats although how much wood really goes towards them?

bitzer,

Good to have you posting again. I think of you often as I remember you chastising me for falling trees for firewood that could have made saw logs. Lately I have cut some nice red oaks and a few nice white oaks. It pains me and I tell myself you would kill me, but we don’t have the equipment to save out the logs and don’t have enough saw logs in one place to interest someone who does.

Ron

Back