Falling saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yawn .........
43464563de5b47a181467e35568bda96.jpg

Yawn .........
43464563de5b47a181467e35568bda96.jpg

@madhatte

This reminds me...

Nate, I know before I got told off because apparently I’m not a professional logger and just “a dirt shover from Pennsylvania” (not factually true, but you know...) you and I had a discussion of how I could not get M-Tronic to run for crap on a fire, and why from my knowledge.

Per my dealer, Stihl has updated the system. Low and behold, I got a call, and all I had was a new (in June) 441 M-Tronic with a 28 or a 440 with a 16 off the rig, and the 441 ran great in some really smoky, nasty stuff. I’ll need a few more fires before I’m a believer, and my trusty 044 and a 461 go with me on most fires, but I’m a little more convinced now.

Westboast or any of you other guys running modified 372s have you played with any different types of mods for logging application? I have two OE 372s, one done by Walker’s and the XPG was stock until Friday night. I muffler modded it with two 1/2” front ports and then just cleaned up the exhaust port and deleted the base gasket which put me still pretty conservative at 0.024” squish. Anyway, why I put this here in forestry instead of in another saw thread is because of the fuel economy. It doesn’t feel much less powerwise than the Walker’s saw, maybe a touch slower but might be a bit torquier even. But, it’s a marathon runner! I limbed and topped probably 50 trees, cut slash for our cat for skidder trails for an hour and fell four decent sized trees on 2.5 tanks of fuel today. Run time was well over an hour per tank. I’d say it’s 2x as long on a tank as the other saw. I did this with a 359 previously with very similar results too. Thinking this might be the way to go for me. I’m making up with a touch less power probably five to ten minutes an hour in service time. I won’t be able to see how many trees I can dump on a tank with it until we get skidded out in a couple weeks but I’m impressed so far. Thoughts?

Westboast or any of you other guys running modified 372s have you played with any different types of mods for logging application? I have two OE 372s, one done by Walker’s and the XPG was stock until Friday night. I muffler modded it with two 1/2” front ports and then just cleaned up the exhaust port and deleted the base gasket which put me still pretty conservative at 0.024” squish. Anyway, why I put this here in forestry instead of in another saw thread is because of the fuel economy. It doesn’t feel much less powerwise than the Walker’s saw, maybe a touch slower but might be a bit torquier even. But, it’s a marathon runner! I limbed and topped probably 50 trees, cut slash for our cat for skidder trails for an hour and fell four decent sized trees on 2.5 tanks of fuel today. Run time was well over an hour per tank. I’d say it’s 2x as long on a tank as the other saw. I did this with a 359 previously with very similar results too. Thinking this might be the way to go for me. I’m making up with a touch less power probably five to ten minutes an hour in service time. I won’t be able to see how many trees I can dump on a tank with it until we get skidded out in a couple weeks but I’m impressed so far. Thoughts?
Hmmmm, this is of interest to me as well! Ive got one 372xp that I put a AM BB top end on and an AM muffler that is basically a hollow can. It runs decent but its a fuel hog! Most of the time I can cut a load on one tank of fuel but not with this one! Id say its 25% less fuel efficient than my other stumping saws and they range from stock 372s, 576s and 390s. Ive got another frankensaw in the works right now that Im looking forward to playing with. Its a combo of 371, 372, china case half, OEM 76cc P&C, AM open can muffler, and stock walbro carb. I wanted to try a 390 carb on it but I don't have a spare intake boot handy. All it lacks being ready to cut is the top plastic. Its a compression FREAK right now! I don't have a compression gauge but its got more than any other saw Ive got, including my 390s and a 660 stihl!

Westboast or any of you other guys running modified 372s have you played with any different types of mods for logging application?
Yes... I modified my intake on the early shift (fire hours) 1 O'Clock became 'beers O' Clock'...... :)

To answer your question: not me personally...just all my saws...story latter

I like that Walker's style of builds. "Logger style" .Responsive and fast.
I grew up in the same town as them. Met Donny in grade 8 and in '92 I was running 'done up 266 and 262 for spacing.
They would build them pretty crazzy fast for me. Bob was heavely into the racing back then (world champion 1993) so the spacing saws were way beyond what you would think a work saw would be.
Got a ported 266 with the 272 head. Leather protector all pop rivited around the cover. Pretty pimped out for $5oo.oo
Saw freaked me out. Bought a Windser 16" narrow bar for the steep west side and dropped the rakers 5 flat strokes like I would do on my ported 262 that I used east side of the Island or the interior.Yeah Big mistake!!!
So that's my style and my backgrownd
I'm not a faller. If i'm in camp with 24 seasoned fallers..I'll hear stuff like.."Ive heard you'r really good on the saw". I have much different skills when it comes to dealing with a lot of stuff.

'Logger style' is a bit more peaky high revving with round filling as I do and not a nessesary build for square as it's the limbing that does't need such high rev's so much as square bites into odd angles
like its butter.

So yeah ..Ive tried about every combination, not ever trying to change what I like but to improve what I like. What you get here ...you give their.

I would suggest the Simmonized style bolt on for the best gains without paying someone

Never thought of that with the square ground for limbing, makes sense though for sure. I’ve been wanting to try it in general, but it’s tough to get here. Anything but husky or Stihl round ground chisel is tough to get. I usually try to buy the less run of the mill stuff from Woodsmen in Salmon Arm when we are there in the summer but this year they didn’t have what I wanted for a change. I’d like to try it on the Walker’s saw, it seems like our chains stay razor sharp next to forever in this poplar. They seem to dull faster limbing and bucking than falling for some reason. Probably because some knob Head forgets to keep it out of the dirt. Ha ha.

My milling/falling partner has a 066 that went through Walker’s shop years ago. That thing is half a psycho. By far the strongest saw I’ve ever run. Will they still do engine work? I had thought about sending this one to them but maybe I’ll buy my next new one there and have it shipped up if they still do.

New to here, from Washington. Stopped cutting 12 years ago, but spent 20 full time as a timber faller. Ran both Stihl and husky, mostly Stihl. I still do some residential Tree work on the side.Some things I’ve noticed through the grind was huskies were better balanced with less vibration, better air filters. Stock , I’d say they were slightly less power. Almost everyone I worked with ran Stihl. If I was waiting for the logger to get another job going I’d sub around and would get some funny looks some times running huskies . I just sold a 390 I had ran on a few jobs . It was mostly stock except the muffler. Still had good power considering I would buy a new modified 066 about every 6 months when in larger wood or tree length. I sold it because I tried to use it on a chainsaw mill and if you shut it off it wouldn’t want to start again till it sat and cooled. Think the coil was getting hot the way it mounted/ ran. I was running a 42 inch bar and it pulled fine. Was advised to buy the 880 over the big husky by mike at madsens. Cut a 5 acre piece with 30-40 inch fir helping my son in law just to give it some break in. Wasn’t too impressed. I’d bought and ran an 084 years ago when we were in some flat ground old growth that in my mind at the time seemed faster. Mike said it just breaks in slower. Running it on the mill, adjusted the carb a bit, it does ok now but thinking about an after market filter. Blubbers after about 4 tanks. I bought a new little husky about a year ago to replace an 026 that I use piecing trees down. I can never keep track of the husky model #’s but it’s a bit heavier with some kind of turbo thingy. It’s a screaming little saw, a bit heavier than I’d of liked but it fits the spot in between the 026 and the hopped up little husky that makes my ears ring and is hard to start belted in the tree. Sorry, can’t think of the model # . It’s like two models down from the 390, modified at harbor saw in Aberdeen . One other thing I really liked about the 390 is the outside clutch design. Sucked for changing chains on steep ground but had a lot of years running o56’s so had it down ok. Well sorry for the long wind. Wife’s watching some stupid singing show and I had to do something else

Is your main saw a 660?
461 bought 2 of em when they first came out, only issues other then me running them over have been detonating spark plugs, bunged up carb diaphragm, and several pull cords

Have a rebuilt 066, that has light use (let someone barrow it and the cooked it slabbing big maple with a dull chain) I cut with it at times, but its not my go to, dont get much in the over 36 inch range that I need to bigger saw for

Back