• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Falling spikes question

Andrew W.

Andrew W.

ArboristSite Member
I have a nice ms 460, I would like to order a set of spikes for it, what is common to be used, and also do they all come with the roller chain catch? 1030161720.jpg 1030161719.jpg 1030161720b.jpg

2dogs

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
You can order two sizes of dogs from a Stihl dealer or any logging supplier like Madsen's, Bailey's, Woods, Cowlitz. I deal with redwood and Douglas-fir both of which can have very rough bark so I much prefer larger dogs. The roller catcher is a good option to purchase at the same time. I don't use a catcher because I have a wrap handlebar.

Big_Wood

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
Here in Canada we have a guy who cuts sets out of a real thick piece of metal. His husky ones are almost a copy of the 5 point pro safety's except they don't break like the garbage pro safety spikes because of the thickness. His 661 spikes are like the skeleton ones only bigger. I won't buy any other spikes now as they all seem the break or bend unless they are cut from thicker material. Not sure if they are available in the US? They be pricey though.

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
How are those 660 ones on your neck when packing the saw on your shoulder ?

I run the 4 point pro safteys ,same height as stihl 5 point ones ,just stiffer and have 4 points instead of 5 .,I have a couple sets Nate made me copied off the pro saftey ones also ,a little thicker metal also .

For the op ,the 460 outer dog is special to the 460 only ,the inners will fit off any 1122 or 1128 saws

Big_Wood

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
How are those 660 ones on your neck when packing the saw on your shoulder ?

I run the 4 point pro safteys ,same height as stihl 5 point ones ,just stiffer and have 4 points instead of 5 .,I have a couple sets Nate made me copied off the pro saftey ones also ,a little thicker metal also .

For the op ,the 460 outer dog is special to the 460 only ,the inners will fit off any 1122 or 1128 saws
Stick a wedge in there and I don't even feel them lol. Both those sets work good but I especially like the ones on the stihl. The husky ones probably work equally as good but they hang down below to powerhead a lot and snag on damn near anything and everything while working. I got a set of the 4 point pro safety's as well but switched to these cause of some mad butt flare in some tree's. Can comfortably make a way lower stump with them. No fighting dragging my handle.

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Here in Canada we have a guy who cuts sets out of a real thick piece of metal. His husky ones are almost a copy of the 5 point pro safety's except they don't break like the garbage pro safety spikes because of the thickness. His 661 spikes are like the skeleton ones only bigger. I won't buy any other spikes now as they all seem the break or bend unless they are cut from thicker material. Not sure if they are available in the US? They be pricey though.
Stick a wedge in there and I don't even feel them lol. Both those sets work good but I especially like the ones on the stihl. The husky ones probably work equally as good but they hang down below to powerhead a lot and snag on damn near anything and everything while working. I got a set of the 4 point pro safety's as well but switched to these cause of some mad butt flare in some tree's. Can comfortably make a way lower stump with them. No fighting dragging my handle.
You're an Animal!
You keep breaking dawgs, because you use them as a felling lever, and driving a wedge between them doesn't help.

Big_Wood

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
You're an Animal!
You keep breaking dawgs, because you use them as a felling lever, and driving a wedge between them doesn't help.
You try those pro safety 5 points. You'll break them way sooner then I did. Don't make me start posting some of the vids from your YouTube channel to show what a professional you are.

Big_Wood

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
Be careful Shane ,if they are too strong they won't bend and the case of the saw will break instead .
Yep, seen that happen to a few guys as well. Hasn't happened to me yet. The pro safety 5 points are real weak though. They at first crack from the vibrations and break off. Not from their actual intended purpose.

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Thought You Might want to see the difference Between stock and not, And something else to think about, I wasted $25 on Ebay But that can happen. This is on a MS461 View attachment 535606 View attachment 535607
The 461 uses its own outer dog ,that is why the ebay ones do not fit on the outer ,the ebay ones are made for the 440-441 and 660 type saws

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
. Don't make me start posting some of the vids from your YouTube channel to show what a professional you are.
Lol, please do. Have you subcribed yet? If so, make some comments. Lol
On YouTube I'm Gypo53 and Yukongypo.
Please don't post the ones of me falling with no clothes on okay?