FarmerTec Huztl MS660 Updated Build Kit - Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could just drop everything and run the one I put together, but hay need's to be made, tractors need to be fixed and rain dances need to be performed.
The multi control lever work better than most Stihls I run into, carb that comes with it is fine. I really don't know what more to ask of it.

Nope had no names on it anywhere. had a squigly line marking in combustion chamber thats it.

I got my plug and done a leak test it failed, cylinder gasket leaked. Took it off and put it on a glass table and I could rock it just a touch, wet sanded it with 600 paper on the table until it was clean, put it back on and it held pressure and vacuum. checked squish now have .019 .020 Finished the build and the pig started on the forth pull, couldn't believe it. Put a new 25 inch bar and chain on it today and laid her in a thorn tree stump I had lying around that was cut off and holy crap the pig is an absolute Beast!!! I dont even know what to say, not sure how long she will live but for what little money it cost this thing will flat out eat wood.....

I really didnt run into any major issues, so far only thing I have replaced is the brake spring, compression release valve, couldn't have put it in if I wanted to the little hood above the nut part was bigger then the nut, you cant get a socket to the nut. If they dont look at some of this crap they might as well not waist the money to make it, but whatever, and I ordered the switch lever and trigger. I do have some slack in between the clutch drum and e clip that I dont really like, quess we'll see how that holds up. I had to file some on the side of the screw that holds the bar plate on cause the bar hit it, brake handle hit muffler, dremiled that, the upper cover hole for the spark plug needed some clearance made so you can get a socket on the plug, didnt come with nuts for the bumber spikes (had some in my shop) I dont know what they were thinking with that little ass air cleaner stud but it barely made it through the air cleaner, I had a bolt that was longer and cut the head off (fixed), sanded the bumper strip down so the bar plate sit flat like was talked about earlier, wish they would have gave a little more clearance for the plug wire where it comes out of the coil and hits the case. I think thats about it pretty simple deal. If they would address the few little issues they would have a real winner, that is if you can get a fair amount of use out of one before it explodes. Mike
Congrats on your new saw.
It's crazy how these kits are so inconsistent from one to the other. My brake was right I guess, because it all went together and worked without any modifications. My decomp flew apart after 5 or 6 starts. Fuel cap leaked badly. No fast idle. I didn't have all the spike hardware either. The large squish is my biggest complaint. Oh and the chain tensioner locks up. Gonna have to do something about that.
Mine fired on the 4th pull and ran on the 6th. I couldn't believe it either. It doesn't crank that well now. Usually 7 or 8 pulls to fire and 2 or 3 more to run.
We will have to see how long they last. Mine won't see much use except for occasional milling.
Are you going to build another?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

These kits are great. You all should know by now you have to change things to get them to run act and last like a real one. But you don't. You rather complain about the cylinder when lots of people say they lack. And there is more to it than it sitting flat. Most will damage your crank now, if you use it. There has been photos and conversation. You just buy a good one.

They produce cylinders for other manufacturers and when they need more they use them so you will not always get a FarmerTec branded one. A FarmerTec cylinder used to mean it would work just rough as heck. Now for some reason they all seem to share similar problems.

Then you got a saw that you built and will last.

Good on you Mike for testing your saw! Now break it in. :) and pull the cylinder back off after a couple tanks and look at the damage. See too much if your crank is being affected. Then buy you a better cylinder.

They might have produced million cylinder with these flaws and the way it works you buy them all and they will build more and try not to let it happen again, lol But most of the parts work fine besides the list I made to help everyone

chainsaw kits and packing lists
http://thechainsawkitguy.com
http://YouTube.com/c/the1chainsawguy

I would say these kits are GOOD, not great. IF every part in the kit performed as it should, I would say they are great. They call it a complete repair parts kit for a certain saw, yet there are parts in it that are completely unusable. I know it comes in a kit but I pay for every single part of that kit. IF I go to the auto parts and buy a carburetor kit for my old truck, I expect every piece in that kit to work. I dont expect to get part way through the rebuild and find a bad part and have to go to the dealership and buy another part. Granted most of the parts are pretty good but some are not so good and some are complete junk. (like the decomp valve). I know these parts are cheap but that is no excuse for them not to work. For instance the gas cap in my kit leaked like crazy. I ordered a gas and oil cap set on ebay from china for $3.53 delivered and it does not leak a drop. I looked up the gas and oil cap on Huztl website and it would cost $5.25 to my door. I dont have a problem with having to slightly modify something to get it to work such as grinding of a sharp edge or filing here and there, but paying for a part that is completely useless, I do have a problem with that.
I did enjoy building this kit and I learned alot and the saw does run pretty good. I even ordered the Husqvarna kit that I am working on now. It has some of the same crappy parts in it as well. All in all I will say they are good kits but they have some improving to do before they are great. If they get to that point I may order another but for now I will just stick with what I have.

I repeat great kits.

Kits require additional parts. The thread is full of this information and reference to excatly what's required. Make the commitment and you wind up with a great saw too and a lot of knowledge.

Debbie Downers won't change that.

It would take the whole village to get them to care. People don't have the will so until each person makes them make it right...

[
Are you going to build another?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Not sure, I would like to but it would be a smaller one if I did, unless the 660 blows up and scraps the whole saw lol. Gotta have a 660 after running this beast.
I replaced the selector switch and trigger tonight and that fixed the fast idle started on the third pull. I didnt have any fuel leakage from my cap or oil cap.

Bedford T dont take this the wrong way but I just dont understand you, I haven't been complaining. you have posted that you would like people to post what they have encountered with there build to keep track of the progression of quality of the kits or whats falling behind. I thought it was great to find this thread that had more information on this kit then I had time to read, so I thought I would take the time and post my thoughts and issues I had with the kit. They were probably the same issues as everyone else has had, but is that not what you wanted? I may have dreamt this but I dont think so, you posted that the hutzl people read this forum, so if they do wouldn't there be a better chance of them fixing things by reading the complaints than not hearing anything at all? I doubt it but you get my point right? You have obviously went out of your way to help people, and Iam sure people are grateful but that gratitude is lost when you reply that people are whiners and complainers. You posted that you dont like that people come on here then there gone and you never get any information on how there saw is holding up, belittling people has that result. That will probably be me to. No Iam not butthurt either. For me this kit was a experiment I wanted to see the parts and the quality and if they will hold up, I know everyone has done this but I haven't. Knowledge comes from doing things yourself and finding out what works and what dont. Reading what others have encountered does help and really makes you look extra at that area, unless that area is complete garbage Iam going to test it and try to brake it. So you see I do know that there was part issues with this kit beforehand, Iam still going to test it for my own curiosity. And no Iam not going to take my cylinder off after 2 tanks, I'll take it off when it brakes. I also didnt brake my saw in unless you consider wide open in some wood as breaking it in. So I would think someone here would be at least a little curious as to how my junk is going to hold up. But if your gonna tell me that I dont know, Iam a complainer, there's more to a engine then just a flat head, Iam gone. People not everyone you cross paths with in this world are idiots, Iam crazy but no idiot, well maby Iam for writing all this.

One last thing a tip maby you know about could have been posted I dont know, but for the ones that chose to remove there cylinders every week to measure there piston wear, gasket remover in a spray can, I spray a little puddle on something then take a small brush and apply it to the sealer wait a couple min and motoseal will wipe right off with a rag. Not sure about other sealers, but I assume it has the same affect. Later Mike

[/QUOTE]
Bedford T dont take this the wrong way but I just dont understand you, I haven't been complaining. you have posted that you would like people to post what they have encountered with there build to keep track of the progression of quality of the kits or whats falling behind. I thought it was great to find this thread that had more information on this kit then I had time to read, so I thought I would take the time and post my thoughts and issues I had with the kit. They were probably the same issues as everyone else has had, but is that not what you wanted? I may have dreamt this but I dont think so, you posted that the hutzl people read this forum, so if they do wouldn't there be a better chance of them fixing things by reading the complaints than not hearing anything at all? I doubt it but you get my point right? You have obviously went out of your way to help people, and Iam sure people are grateful but that gratitude is lost when you reply that people are whiners and complainers. You posted that you dont like that people come on here then there gone and you never get any information on how there saw is holding up, belittling people has that result. That will probably be me to. No Iam not butthurt either. For me this kit was a experiment I wanted to see the parts and the quality and if they will hold up, I know everyone has done this but I haven't. Knowledge comes from doing things yourself and finding out what works and what dont. Reading what others have encountered does help and really makes you look extra at that area, unless that area is complete garbage Iam going to test it and try to brake it. So you see I do know that there was part issues with this kit beforehand, Iam still going to test it for my own curiosity. And no Iam not going to take my cylinder off after 2 tanks, I'll take it off when it brakes. I also didnt brake my saw in unless you consider wide open in some wood as breaking it in. So I would think someone here would be at least a little curious as to how my junk is going to hold up. But if your gonna tell me that I dont know, Iam a complainer, there's more to a engine then just a flat head, Iam gone. People not everyone you cross paths with in this world are idiots, Iam crazy but no idiot, well maby Iam for writing all this.
[/QUOTE]

Oh don't worry, he'll take it the wrong way. He is a wealth of knowledge on these kits, and has done an incredible amount of work to help others - that comes out in most of his posts. But what also comes out (for me) is that he is very inconsistent in his attitude. I have built several of these kits and have found some work arounds that haven't even been discussed here. Will I post 'em? Maybe someday - but not today. Don't need the grief from either of the two self-proclaimed "experts" in previous pages.

The message here for others coming to this tread is that there is (as always on forums) a lot of OPINION on this thread that is offered as FACT. There is usually a few ways to "skin the cat" here - your way might be better or worse than advice given here. But in the end, most of what is offered is just that - opinion and/or advice. Take it or leave it - it's your kit - do it the way you want to.

[/QUOTE]

Oh don't worry, he'll take it the wrong way. He is a wealth of knowledge on these kits, and has done an incredible amount of work to help others - that comes out in most of his posts. But what also comes out (for me) is that he is very inconsistent in his attitude. I have built several of these kits and have found some work arounds that haven't even been discussed here. Will I post 'em? Maybe someday - but not today. Don't need the grief from either of the two self-proclaimed "experts" in previous pages.

The message here for others coming to this tread is that there is (as always on forums) a lot of OPINION on this thread that is offered as FACT. There is usually a few ways to "skin the cat" here - your way might be better or worse than advice given here. But in the end, most of what is offered is just that - opinion and/or advice. Take it or leave it - it's your kit - do it the way you want to.[/QUOTE]It's real simple. The kits are great and the thread is full of stuff that is wrong with them. So does that change anything today. No.

They do read and don't seem to care. Reading is not the same thing as holding them accountable during the transaction when it counts, that would bring about change.

You need to take time to understand the differences in the context of my comment, because stuff has changed over time and so have my comments.

You buy a kit and have fun, you learn. To whin about a leaking cap at this point when no one makes them accountable seems fruitless.

I get tired of reading folks that are disappointed over something that should have known about going in.

If everyone had a problem, reported it as I laid out and did not negotiate the nonsense would stop. They don't

I enjoy helping people. I enjoy seeing other people be successful at something maybe they have never done before.

It's painful to see the same things happen nover and over. That's where I am. If we have a problem let's solve it. Not ***** about it. Posting about your issues as you encounter them if others have had the seen ones. Are we learning something new, are we figuring out a solution.

For me it's been buy an oem part. Our new problem seems to be the cylinders. Meteor seems to make a great one. So while you make huztl correct it buy you a good one and don't slow the process down. After 500 people do it they will change. I am still having a ball.

Maybe this example will help

How would one of these "kits" be if you used all Stihl engine parts. I guess what I'm asking is how is the quality of the handle/tank and the mag case?

How would one of these "kits" be if you used all Stihl engine parts. I guess what I'm asking is how is the quality of the handle/tank and the mag case?
No problems on handle, case. The trigger does not give you a fast idle and a oem decomp is a good idea depending on the mold they use, but plastic is good. The case is every bit as good.

A few hundred more dollars and you got a first class saw. Half price and you get a great education. I have a website that lays it out for you.

There is no reason not to buy the 660 kit. Just follow the recommendations and you will be delighted and have some valuable experience u der your belt. Spend some time and read the details but what I say here should give you hope.

It would be great as folks build these if you run into a bad part document it with photos ask for a direct replacement and move on with a better part until all these customer service/ quality work themselves out over time.

When you build, test, break them in and use best/freshes gas/oil you can afford you will not be disappointed. Period. And I am saying this out loud, no one can come in and say that's wrong.

Did you know that there are 3 levels of firmness of the a/v pieces? The kit has hard but because you are building it you can make choices and customize your build.

Some guys make them pretty. Skies the limit.

No problems on handle, case. The trigger does not give you a fast idle and a oem decomp is a good idea depending on the mold they use, but plastic is good. The case is every bit as good.

A few hundred more dollars and you got a first class saw. Half price and you get a great education. I have a website that lays it out for you.

I'm a tester for Hyway parts. They have a bad name in places, but the 180 cylinder and 360 I have in use are working great. They are getting a popup piston for the 360 ready for me.

So I'm thinking about a Huztl 440 kit, use Stihl: crank,rod, starter,clutch cover,brake handle, and some other parts. Use Hyways big bore MS460 cylinder kit. It had a 54mm bore, which would give 82cc. I could use it as a test platform. It should run my 25" Stihl ES bar ok.

Then I've still got to find a home for my popup sets for the 261,461, 066 and 661. I've already given the 044 big bore away.

I'm a tester for Hyway parts. They have a bad name in places, but the 180 cylinder and 360 I have in use are working great. They are getting a popup piston for the 360 ready for me.

So I'm thinking about a Huztl 440 kit, use Stihl: crank,rod, starter,clutch cover,brake handle, and some other parts. Use Hyways big bore MS460 cylinder kit. It had a 54mm bore, which would give 82cc. I could use it as a test platform. It should run my 25" Stihl ES bar ok.

Then I've still got to find a home for my popup sets for the 261,461, 066 and 661. I've already given the 044 big bore away.
I am to the point on cylinder kits it needs to be meteor (oem too much $) because I can't find problems. You can with ever other AM manufacturer. I have had a very good hyway 660 kit. The 440 kits are very good too. They all require extras. Enjoy your testing

@Bedford T

I'm generally against the clone saws, have been for awhile. But I need something to abuse, swap parts in ,etc. Plus who doesn't benefit from extra practice?

Back