FarmerTec Huztl MS660 Updated Build Kit - Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered the 660 big bore kit and hope it comes in niksel. Kind of funky I started it today to cut some wood and it was idling very high and I tried to adjust it down. It all at once idled down after turning it all the way down. I turned it back to where it was and the saw will not start. I changed the plug, no help. I squirted some fuel into the carb and it would start on that fuel and then quit. I pulled the carb and cleaned it but it was not dirty at all. Could spray threw everything. I am wondering if maybe one of the crank seals have gone?

Brian
Did you pressure test it after assembly? I am very unhappy with the 660 nikasil cylinder I got. I will wash my hands of them if they don't make it right. I was the only huztl solider who saw benefit in them.

The kits they sell normally are chrome they had the one I purchased label nikasil on eBay.

It sounds like a leak. I had a big leak and it would not start no matter what I did. My first kit was a real lesson. Bought me a tester and never had that issue again. Just too many ways for it to leak. Soapy water under pressure is amazing. Like an old pointer dog.

I did test it when I first put it together. I have put a bunch of hours on it sense I put it together and it has always been a great saw. It feels like it still has good compression and all. I do think I developed a air leak and think I may have blew a crank seal. I used Three Bond gasket sealer on the case halves when I put it together along with the gasket. I pulled the carb and ran my finger down the intake tube and it felt like everything was alright but you never know. I just need to break it down and see what is wrong. I did order new crank seals and another carb and a few other parts like a gasket set and so forth just to keep on hand. Like I said I have cut a lot of wood with it to this point, a lot of big wood and it had performed great until this point. I am going to wait until the big bore kit and seals come in and tare into it and see what is going on. I love the saw and it performs great. A friend on the McCulloch site and I are making a chainsaw dyno. He has 2 factory Stihl MS660s. I am wanting to put both on the dyno when we get it finished and see how my saw performs against a factory Stihl. I am also going to order a 070 kit. Don't really need a saw that big as I have a McCulloch SP125c but I just like the look and sound of the 070 you put on Youtube. They just look and sound soo cool. When I find out what went wrong I will post it here. I am sure it is not much as it has plenty compression and will start if primed. I have been getting some really bad gas lately and just wonder if maybe the carb is stopped up and I did not see it because I cleaned the carb out in the field and used a can of starter fluid to blow threw the jets. It was all I had, a guy had it in the tool box on his truck.
100_5659.JPG
I own a motorcycle shop and this is a pic of a set of carbs that I cleaned in the heated ultrasonic. The guy could not pick it up for a couple weeks. When he came to pick it up it would not run properly and fuel started pouring out of the over flows so I pulled the carbs and this is what I found. This from setting 2 weeks and the fuel that was in his tank came from a station that advertises no ethanol.

100_5667.JPG

Here is the carbs after I had ran them threw the cleaner for the second time. You can see a little corrosion left in them but a lot cleaner than before. I drained the gas from his tank and put in fresh. I took some of the old fuel and put it into an old genset I had just repaired the gas tank with redkote and JB Weld. (an old genset I have had for many years and just keep around for what ever) I started smelling fuel and found it pouring out of the tank. It had ate threw the redkote and the JB weld felt like clay. I have never seen this before and I have repaired many tanks throughout the years like this.
So it could very well be the fuel/carb. By the way the fuel the spilled out onto the floor of my shop ate the 10 year old paint that nothing else had ate threw it bubbled it up. Don't know what is going on with the fuel but always suspect it from now on.

Brian

It's great you have been cutting so it's not a new problem. Any problem is bad. Just where to start. You should pressure test it again before disturbing your work. Sounds like it's well built...made in america...Get a can of true fuel and try your new carb first. The 070 does sound cool, cuts good too. Good luck, if we can help speak up.

Ps
Dyno test would be awesome

If you have interest in using a carb with a replaceable jet, I have found the HLiC to be very reliable. I find the .67 and .69 jets to small. So here are some snaps of the carb. I also heard of an aftermarket brand... ABC that offered the same opportunity.

IMG_20170925_130537.jpg IMG_20170925_130844.jpg IMG_20170925_130900.jpg IMG_20170925_130905.jpg

Here is the carbs after I had ran them threw the cleaner for the second time. You can see a little corrosion left in them but a lot cleaner than before. I drained the gas from his tank and put in fresh. I took some of the old fuel and put it into an old genset I had just repaired the gas tank with redkote and JB Weld. (an old genset I have had for many years and just keep around for what ever) I started smelling fuel and found it pouring out of the tank. It had ate threw the redkote and the JB weld felt like clay. I have never seen this before and I have repaired many tanks throughout the years like this.
So it could very well be the fuel/carb. By the way the fuel the spilled out onto the floor of my shop ate the 10 year old paint that nothing else had ate threw it bubbled it up. Don't know what is going on with the fuel but always suspect it from now on.

Brian

I got to come back to your post and look closer. you might consider checking with your local airport. they have a fuel in many parts of the country called A100 and it is very high quality and will last about two years in a closed container and almost guaranteed to be real clean, they put it in planes. I use it in my saws with my favorite oil and the lines don't dissolve or clog the carbs. They started selling a new fuel at the gas stations with even less fuel in it. Some gas stations sell straight gas. There is an phone app that will tell you where yours are.

we might be pushed to use diesel, gas has gotten much nastier then.

My MS660 has the HLiC carb. It came with it. I noticed the changeable jet when I had it apart and noticed the brand. While I had it apart I was thinking this thing has a very nice carb.

Brian
They quit using them. So I went hunting. You have been using yours a while.

I have had mine 2 or 3 months. Well I figured out what went wrong with the saw. My cylinder bolts backed off. I thought when I put it together I lock tighten them but I must not have. But it does have the locking head and it dug into the aluminium really good. Will lock tight them good this time. As I was typing I thought, I think it had lock tight on the bolts factory. I don't know. I did not put any on it because I have the big bore kit ordered and won't be cutting with it much until then.

Brian

Glad to here nothing major was wrong. Are you using a oem wrist pin bearing?
I normally put a 1/4" socket on my ratchet and use this t27 to tighten those bolts.
2ae2ebad10c3560b04b6c1ed499c2f48.jpg

Odd that's exactly why mine would not start no matter what I did or how I held my mouth. No trouble since. Checkem once and while now.

Glad to here nothing major was wrong. Are you using a oem wrist pin bearing?
I normally put a 1/4" socket on my ratchet and use this t27 to tighten those bolts.
2ae2ebad10c3560b04b6c1ed499c2f48.jpg

davhul where did you get that tool?

Brian
Bedford, I was messing with it this evening, done a proper cleaning of the carb but did not see anything. I put the carb back on but did not put the air filter or cover on so I could check for leaks. Just ran the nuts up against the carb. I was cranking it over slowly and saw what I thought was the DSP valve move. I took the cylinder cover off and you could wiggle the cylinder. One of the screws was missing and I found it in the flywheel cover. So I tighten everything up and she fired right up. I am using the wrist pin bearing that came with the kit. Are they bad, should I replace it with a Stihl?

Brian

davhul where did you get that tool?

Brian
Bedford, I was messing with it this evening, done a proper cleaning of the carb but did not see anything. I put the carb back on but did not put the air filter or cover on so I could check for leaks. Just ran the nuts up against the carb. I was cranking it over slowly and saw what I thought was the DSP valve move. I took the cylinder cover off and you could wiggle the cylinder. One of the screws was missing and I found it in the flywheel cover. So I tighten everything up and she fired right up. I am using the wrist pin bearing that came with the kit. Are they bad, should I replace it with a Stihl?

Brian
What Dave was referring to was a rash of failures with the bearing. When you step back and look at it that bearing is awfully important. It decimates the top when it fails. So the thinking is why not just to be sure.

Also when we look at what your showing us the oils properties could be affected by the sorry gas and a oem bearing might be all the insurance you need for a longterm relationship with a fine saw

On that tool ask your still dealer the part# is on the bag. $10 maybe or less. 6" t27
3a07ad2864bd8992f929baaac66fb16f.jpg

It's from Stihl.
That one part # is
0812 540 1112.
If you want one that a 1/4" socket head it's 0812 542 2104.
Yeah the bearing have been know to fail. I'm going back in 2 that has had some hours on them and replacing.

e2280ac2b1be27c8b9528ecf3a009324.jpg

Thank You guys, I will get one on order ASAP.
I just went out and sunk it full bar in a piece of good red oak. It right now has a 28" bar and it just kept pulling. Strong as can be. I started to order the 36" bar on my last order for just incase I get into some big stuff, which I am always getting into, but backed out on ordering it. Now I am thinking I need to order it. It will pull it and sometimes I need it. I have a 36" Stihl Bar that I am using on my McCulloch SP125c. It's a 404 but I could just change the sprocket on the clutch and use that bar when I need it, or just use the McCulloch. I bet with the big bore kit a 36" bar will be no problem.
I will order a OEM bearing and put it in when I install the big bore kit.

Thanks
Brian

Thank You guys, I will get one on order ASAP.
I just went out and sunk it full bar in a piece of good red oak. It right now has a 28" bar and it just kept pulling. Strong as can be. I started to order the 36" bar on my last order for just incase I get into some big stuff, which I am always getting into, but backed out on ordering it. Now I am thinking I need to order it. It will pull it and sometimes I need it. I have a 36" Stihl Bar that I am using on my McCulloch SP125c. It's a 404 but I could just change the sprocket on the clutch and use that bar when I need it, or just use the McCulloch. I bet with the big bore kit a 36" bar will be no problem.
I will order a OEM bearing and put it in when I install the big bore kit.

Thanks
Brian
Order you a 070 and a 36" for it. Lol

That is going to be my next purchase. I started to order it this last order but money is a little tight right now but it may be a Christmas present from me to me. I think they look soo cool and sound really cool. We are thinking about hosting a GTG here in November. You need to bring your 070 and put it on the dyno. See how it does. When I order the 070 I will get the 36" bar for it. Which one would you get, the 3/8 or the 404.

Brian

That is going to be my next purchase. I started to order it this last order but money is a little tight right now but it may be a Christmas present from me to me. I think they look soo cool and sound really cool. We are thinking about hosting a GTG here in November. You need to bring your 070 and put it on the dyno. See how it does. When I order the 070 I will get the 36" bar for it. Which one would you get, the 3/8 or the 404.

Brian
I use the .404 on mine. I bought a cannon bar at the time huztl did not sell one. Let me know about the details and I will definitely try and come.

Back