FarmerTec Huztl MS660 Updated Build Kit - Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell me about it. I was putting seals in the McCulloch 101b saw today and it started doing the same thing. Then went to cut some wood and the 660+ doing the same thing. Both will about tare your fingers off.
You know I had then on the same shelve. One is teaching the other bad habits....LOL

Brian

Tell me about it. I was putting seals in the McCulloch 101b saw today and it started doing the same thing. Then went to cut some wood and the 660+ doing the same thing. Both will about tare your fingers off.
You know I had then on the same shelve. One is teaching the other bad habits....LOL

Brian
You need to separate them. Give them a time out lol

First thanks for the videos. They are great, but I believe I screwed up already. I got my case halves put together, went perfectly with a frozen crank and slightly heated bearings. But after looking at a couple other threads I did not install the oil line in the crankcase. I assume I have to now split the case? What is the easiest way to do that. Thanks again.

First thanks for the videos. They are great, but I believe I screwed up already. I got my case halves put together, went perfectly with a frozen crank and slightly heated bearings. But after looking at a couple other threads I did not install the oil line in the crankcase. I assume I have to now split the case? What is the easiest way to do that. Thanks again.

No, you should be able to put it in with the help of a curved hemostat. You can get that tool at Harbor Freight, and it's a good tool to have around if you plan to work on saws much.

Just put the pick-up body on the line, and insert the line, pick-up body first, through the hole where oil line installs. Work it in past the bend in the oil line. If you need a bit of tension on the line to seat it once it's in, you can grab it with the hemostat through the oil fill hole and pull a bit. I preferred to install the line this way to keep it away from the heat I used to put the case halves together.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, just looked things over and got it right in. Panic mode is over. Now if my OEM circlips would get here so I can continue.

Thanks for the reply, just looked things over and got it right in. Panic mode is over. Now if my OEM circlips would get here so I can continue.
Panic is the worst. It goes away after a few times and you just become annoyed.

Guys I got a crushed MS270 coming today. Gonna do some rebuild vids. It's got a magnesium and plastic case. Stay tuned to see how they pulled that one off

Cut most all day with the MS660 with 56mm kit and 28" bar. Was cutting in 32+ inch oak and maple all day. The saw pull strong all day keeping the bar full buried all day long without a hiccup. The more I use this saw the more I love it. I did have to stop once to readjust the carb just a touch. I think as it breaks in the carb changes. I had it running a little on the rich side for break-in purposes and it did not want to idel so I leaned it down just a hair and she is perfect now. With the 56mm kit on it, it sounds different. It has a raspier sound to it, kind of a meaner sound like a big saw should.

downsized_1014171319.jpg

Brian

That's a good photo. Bar gone hunting for deep wood. You made that. God made the tree and you built the saw. Nothing like it. What mix ratio are you using?

40:1 Mix. Non Ethanol Maxima Racing oil.
I did not cut anything today under 32" and much of it 36-38-40". It loved it. Only other hiccup was the wood was on concrete and I hit the concrete once and dulled the heck out of my chain. I had a fresh one with me, so I changed to a new chain and kept on going.

Brian

One more small issue I had. My clutch drum went on very tight. So tight that I ended up trashing the supplied bearing and had to use an OEM one. OEM bearing was just as tight. Would fit over crank easily, also would fit inside clutch drum easily. But putting it together I had to persuade it quite a bit, it was very lubed even spit on it and it didn't help. Wouldn't even want to think what it may take to get apart. Everything turns freely I do not believe it is bound in any way. Has anyone else seen this issue.

Still waiting on my OEM circlips for the wrist pin. So the saw build is on hold for now.

The drum may not be the correct one they have been known to substitute wrong parts. But if it is right.
You may already know there's a notch on the drum that has to align with the worm gear arm. And if your brake band is bent any that may cause you problems.

This may help you. I was playing with my camera Friday when installing my oil pump.
I used tools everyone may have even a rope for a piston stop. Just make sure the piston is above the exhaust port before installing the rope.

One more small issue I had. My clutch drum went on very tight. So tight that I ended up trashing the supplied bearing and had to use an OEM one. OEM bearing was just as tight. Would fit over crank easily, also would fit inside clutch drum easily. But putting it together I had to persuade it quite a bit, it was very lubed even spit on it and it didn't help. Wouldn't even want to think what it may take to get apart. Everything turns freely I do not believe it is bound in any way. Has anyone else seen this issue.

Still waiting on my OEM circlips for the wrist pin. So the saw build is on hold for now.
Mine was tight as dicks hat band. It spins. That will work itself out after you run it a bit. How long of a wait on your circlips. 3-4 days?

Mine was tight as dicks hat band. It spins. That will work itself out after you run it a bit. How long of a wait on your circlips. 3-4 days?

Thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel better. Yes it had the notch for the oil pump arm. Wait on the clips is now at 8 days. Ordered last Sunday. Tracking said they should of been delivered on Saturday. Didn't make it. Spent most of Saturday staring at mailbox waiting for the mail lady to drive by and nuttin.

I'm thinking about buying one of these kits from Huztl.......how do they seem to hold up with some good hard use? Are they a decent kit....or junk?

I'm thinking about buying one of these kits from Huztl.......how do they seem to hold up with some good hard use? Are they a decent kit....or junk?
You have a selection. Ms440 kit and the ms660 kit are good bets. Consider what you are cutting. I really like the ms380. It took me almost a year to figure out that the handle carb box is about 5mm to shallow and it can effect the way it runs because the choke is inside the filter. You can force the oem filter in. Oem has a better spring. I can't believe no one has spoken up about that issue. I search and messed and finally figured it out. The other handles are from the same mold. You will see some handles only sold with covers thinking they whipped it. But no that filter is very important on that saw because of the choke butterfly. But it's a heck of a saw. Best materials of them all. Both the 440 and 660 are top notch. If your not cutting big wood consider everything. Best bet is to buy both.

Latest posts

Back