Farmertec ms440 for firewood saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a bit of time out from Tax Prep to check out a saw problem today. Usually don't do that in Tax Season, but the guy is moving soon, so I found the time.

He is a Tree Pro and purchased a Asian 440 BB from me about 6 months ago (was his idea). He loves the saw, says it runs great, but that after he shut it down it locked up.

I took the clutch off and found a broken spring and one of those flat metal pieces that hold the clutch in alignment. Saw is no longer locked up … WHEW!!! It scared me!

You can get a straight gassed 440 on eBay for 200ish. Plan on putting 200 in it and being happy!

I never did a 440 kit, have owned an OEM 440 that I have logged with for several years and firewooded for 16 years. I have done a couple MS361 kits, a couple MS250 with friends and last one a 660 kit. They all run pretty good. Did a LOT of porting on one of the 361s and it runs excellent with a 440 carb installed along with a big bore kit from Huztl. Note, the gap for the wrist pin in the piston of the 361 BB kit is way oversize, so I shimmed that gap with a couple .030 copper washers to keep the needle bearing centered.

Usually a kit goes together in 5-6 hours of hand fitting. I do replace a few parts. On the 361s I put better air filter, Hyway clutch and Hyway intake boot and fuel line. The Huztl ones leave a lot to be desired.

I was cutting firewood for a friend and locked up my ported BB. Thought I'd blown it up. Turned out I broke a clutch spring. Just like MustangMike.

I lean hard on these saws. So far, been a lot of fun and I learned a lot. They do keep on chugging after spending the time to fit things properly and replacing anything with any quality issue.

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on a Farmertec ms440 kit to build as my firewood saw.
Currently have a ms290.
Have a lot of big ash and maple in the woods and was thinking the ms440 would work better.
Anyone that has built one of the farmertec ms440's have any tips or advice?
How are these holding up?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on a Farmertec ms440 kit to build as my firewood saw.
Currently have a ms290.
Have a lot of big ash and maple in the woods and was thinking the ms440 would work better.
Anyone that has built one of the farmertec ms440's have any tips or advice?
How are these holding up?

I never did a 440 kit, have owned an OEM 440 that I have logged with for several years and firewooded for 16 years. I have done a couple MS361 kits, a couple MS250 with friends and last one a 660 kit. They all run pretty good. Did a LOT of porting on one of the 361s and it runs excellent with a 440 carb installed along with a big bore kit from Huztl. Note, the gap for the wrist pin in the piston of the 361 BB kit is way oversize, so I shimmed that gap with a couple .030 copper washers to keep the needle bearing centered.

Usually a kit goes together in 5-6 hours of hand fitting. I do replace a few parts. On the 361s I put better air filter, Hyway clutch and Hyway intake boot and fuel line. The Huztl ones leave a lot to be desired.

I was cutting firewood for a friend and locked up my ported BB. Thought I'd blown it up. Turned out I broke a clutch spring. Just like MustangMike.

I lean hard on these saws. So far, been a lot of fun and I learned a lot. They do keep on chugging after spending the time to fit things properly and replacing anything with any quality issue.
This is my point. They can be a good value to someone who knows their way around a saw, or has a close buddy that does.

The “simple” repairs for us translate into a trip to a repair shop for others. The quote for repairs may exceed the kit price in many cases, or there may be outright refusal to work on the POS fearing the next failure will be blamed on the shop.

They have their place, for sure. Just not for the OP IMHO. Too late though.

I’ll also add that the airbox cover on the clones needs work. Both the spare ones I’ve purchased and the kit saws have no real fast idle kickoff. The trigger has been blamed, but it’s actually the airbox cover groove for the control switch rod. The damn thing is too narrow. The mechanism will work fine until you tighten the air filter stud/holder down. Then the mechanism won’t work. The groove needs to be relieved.

This is my point. They can be a good value to someone who knows their way around a saw, or has a close buddy that does.

The “simple” repairs for us translate into a trip to a repair shop for others. The quote for repairs may exceed the kit price in many cases, or there may be outright refusal to work on the POS fearing the next failure will be blamed on the shop.

They have their place, for sure. Just not for the OP IMHO. Too late though.
I'm 36 and have been running saws since I was 15, never taken a,saw to a repair shop.
All repairs done myself.
Not really sure why this wouldn't be for me?
Plus I have the 290 for backup if I run into any issues.

I'm 36 and have been running saws since I was 15, never taken a,saw to a repair shop.
All repairs done myself.
Not really sure why this wouldn't be for me?
Plus I have the 290 for backup if I run into any issues.

Then it certainly would be fine. That's a part I didnt know.

The common areas that are known to be bad are:

Airbox cover (as above)
Bar adjuster
Piston pin bearing
Supplied Carb
Oil pump and Worm-I've been told its the worm more
Bearings, knock out the seals and flush them good. Mine has metal shards everywhere.
Boot Clamp
Impulse barb
Decomp valve-never ever use. The top button is all that holds the pin from dropping into the cylinder. And it falls off easily.

Good luck with the build.

I think if you take care of them don't force the chain adjusters, etc, run good oil at 40:1 (I like AMSOIL Sabre) they will hold up well for you.

Keep in mind I'm running the New West P+C, and always an OEM piston pin bearing, and I flush the Asian bearings w/WD 40 before I even turn them.

I would prefer an OEM 440, but they are just too hard to find around here. I have not had any bottom ends fail on me.
MustangMike, quick question, the piston pin bearing. Is there a reason you switch that out to oem? Do the ones with the kits have issues or is it for peace of mind for you?

I've had one fail and seen a lot of other folks complain of failure, so for $10 bucks I'm not going to risk loosing a saw. I believe they are made of inferior materials and will often fail. Ditto the clips.
Ok thank you! Looks like my kit should be delivered tomorrow, so maybe I'll stop by the stihl shop and order own bearing and clips.

Ok thank you! Looks like my kit should be delivered tomorrow, so maybe I'll stop by the stihl shop and order own bearing and clips.

got farmertec plastics on my 372xp and a rebuilt 044 runs just fine

Got my 440 kit today, took 12 days from placing order to artivingcat my doorstep, not bad! Well start a new build thread to document my experience!
df94f0b06412470c0cc6d55a247aff31.jpg

Latest posts

Back