Fast growing shade trees in Tampa, FL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Any help in trying to decide upon several varieties of shade trees for my single story home in Tampa.
I desire: fast growth, effective as a shade tree, able to be purchased locally, and able to be purchased in the 10' range.
I see lots of great reviews about the live oaks..but are they fast growers?
I like the look of Loquats...are they fast growers? I hear they are a pain in the ass.
I like the looks of Jatropha but cannot find quality stock, and are they fast growers as well?
Any references would be welcome.
Thank you.

JD,
I would probably say the live oak tree would be your best bet. It grows at a medium pace, but most fast growers arent very rugged. The loquats, if its excessively warm and moist where you are it will not bear fruit. It will grow up to 30 feet but probably not more than 10 feet. The jatropha is more of a shrub and is good to keep animals out of a yard or wind barrier etc. Very colorful though blooms periodically with sparce leaves. I dont know about being able to buy locally as I am in Colorado, but I would think buying a live oak is probably your best bet as a 10 foot tree purchase.
Hope this helps,
Darin

Any more questions please post back.

Back