Fastest way to fell a tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's heavy equipment on site, then the fastest way is just to have a dozer knock it over (if there's a big enough one around).

If it's a big, previously weakened, or otherwise hazardous tree - and you're cutting it by hand, you still have to follow the traditional falling sequence with the same cuts.

There's experienced guys out there though that can get it done very quickly while still being safe.

+1 On JJ comment, and or an experienced feller that carries insurance on his crew and property. Those are the guys that normally know what to properly do and in a time concious manner.

The reason I asked was that I'm keeping a eye on the fires in CO and was wondering if the trees on the other side of the valley edge from the cabin started burning How fast could trees in it's path be felled. There's a dozen or so evergreens between the treeless valley and the cabin. More of a thought exercise than anything else.

Those guys are good. They have to be. If I was in a hurry, I could make the conventional face and back cut on a 18" pondo in about a minute and a half. Not trying to steer the thing, but just get it on the ground and not pinch the saw or barber chair the thing. taking more chances and save a few seconds one can do kerf cuts. which actually isn't that bad on small stuff up to about 6" or so. You can be dropping a tree, and already onto the next tree. but no control of direction.

The reason I asked was that I'm keeping a eye on the fires in CO and was wondering if the trees on the other side of the valley edge from the cabin started burning How fast could trees in it's path be felled. There's a dozen or so evergreens between the treeless valley and the cabin. More of a thought exercise than anything else.

The time to prepare a fire break, is not when the fire is rapidly approaching.
Thats the time when you need to be doing other stuff.

If the trees pose a threat, then drop them now and clean the area up, its too late when embers are falling and the sky gets dark.

An excavator. Dig some dirt from around the tree, then push it over. Size of tree, and/or skill of the operator, may determine the size of the excavator.
Or perhaps better yet, a feller buncher.
About five years ago I watched feller bunchers demonstrated in northern Wiosconsin at a gigantic logger equipment auction. Trees had to be somewhat limited in size, but these feller bunchers ripped them up and cleared them like weeds. They were truly amazing to watch.

Back