Fat boy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got started on another bear yesterday for the summer season. This was from an old pine log that has been on the ground a few years now and I wasn't exactly sure how it held up so I didn't want to attempt anything too elaborate with it until I new it was good.

The wood was fine, and now I have 5 more logs just like it that need to be hauled out. My neighbor will take care of that for me with the tractor once we dry up a bit.
Did a few things different with this one compared to some of my earlier bears. Looks good to me for now, but I never really know for sure until I finish them.
DSC_0062.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0079.JPG

Just about got this guy wrapped up today. I'll give him some eyeballs, finish up the base, and let him drink another can of varnish.
Planning on using this one as a bench end, so just need to carve up something for the other side and put it all together.
DSC_0137_01.JPG
DSC_0138.JPG

How many hours roughly does it take to make something like that?

We have one in the shop, it's a old logger with a saw, and gas/oil jugs. It's all painted up, stands about 4ft tall.

How many hours roughly does it take to make something like that?

We have one in the shop, it's a old logger with a saw, and gas/oil jugs. It's all painted up, stands about 4ft tall.
I've probably got between 10-12 hours into this one over a 3 day period.
I tend to work on them in 20 minute bursts before stepping back to plan my next area of attack. I know a lot of guys can do these things MUCH quicker than I can, but since I'm not in competition with anyone but myself, this is the pace that seems to work best for me to get the results I'm happy with.

Back