ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Father in laws idea turned down now by the church!

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by PA. Woodsman, Jan 2, 2019.

1. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Addicted to ArboristSite

I had another post about my father in law as he was nearing the end and he passed peacefully last Saturday, but I wanted to post this one separately as to get it "exposure". One of the things that he discussed with his pastor was that he would like to set up what was being called a "durable medical goods fund", since he was in need of a wheelchair near the end he used one that his chair loaned him, until he got one from the V.A., and he thought how wonderful it would be if people could donate used wheelchairs and walkers and things of this sort so that when someone in need needed them they were there and the pastor twice talked to him about it so we thought that it was a done deal as we could have contributions go towards that. But yesterday my wife said the pastor told my mother in law Monday that they can't do that "in case someone would fall and hurt themselves and sue the church". I don't know if this is a legit thing, maybe someone else at church weighed in on it and is afraid of that, does that even sound like something that could happen, the church getting sued if someone fell at their home or somewhere else? Of course the thought runs through our mind and maybe this isn't even close but do they want the money for something else at church? I'm sure he being so well known and loved will bring in a good amount of money. We also said it could be donated to the church to go towards the local soup kitchen, Pop donated many hours there serving people, and now my wife and sister in law said if this is the case they will designate that the money go towards the music department as he was involved with the choir and all for MANY years and they are always struggling money wise.

Just curious what you think, does this sound legit the reason he says they can't do it? Any lawyers out there lol?!

2. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
    I ain't no lawyer and I've never played one on tv, or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I'm a Motel 6 kind of guy. :)

That having been clarified, I think the pastor in question is just blowing some smoke and not wanting to open up a can of worms. The church could easily enough come up with a waiver of sorts, stating that any and all equipment given to parishioners does not carry any kind of guarantee as to performance, expressed or implied.

Lots of people donate used goods to thrift stores, who in turn, sell those same goods to the public w/o any kind of guarantee.

Bottom line is, the pastor could indeed, initiate such a program if he wanted to. Obviously, he feels otherwise.

Myself, I think your FIL had a very good idea. Maybe call some other churches and see if they happen to have such a program in place.

crowbuster and PA. Woodsman like this.
  3. Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs

IANAL, but I can see the church's point of view. If someone's mom borrows a wheel chair and the wheel falls off, I would not be surprised if the kids sued the church. As good of an idea as it is, it comes with overhead - direct and indirect equipment maintenance costs, management, delivery for larger equipment (not everyone has a truck), etc. Even with a reasonable fee for borrowing the gear, it's going to be a money loser. I understand it's a church and therefore a non-profit, but they do need to at least break even.

4. PA. Woodsman

This is pretty much what most of the family was thinking, and/or he wanted to use the monies for something else. I just emailed the pastor at our church and asked her thoughts in private about it, see what she says. We used to go to the church with this first pastor where Pop went but left 5 years ago.

Thanks....

5. BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast Addicted to ArboristSite

I would suspect if you looked around, you would find other organizations who do this. You might start with the local hospital foundation.

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  6. PA. Woodsman

I can see this point too, thanks for the perspective!! I emailed the pastor at our church and asked her opinion on it, it will be interesting to see what she says!

Thanks!

7. PA. Woodsman

Yes very true....someone had wondered if the V.A. would be interested in it?

Thanks...

grizz55chev likes this.
  8. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.

All good points, but I'd think there would be some guys in the church willing to look at and inspect donated goods. And, I'm sure that some own pick-ups that could be used to deliver those goods on an as needed basis.

Doesn't take much to check out a wheel chair to insure it's good to go. Same for walkers and crutches. If something does appear to be beyond repair, scrap it! Maybe piece it out for future donated goods that need some replacement parts.

All of the services / labor that might be needed, could be on a volunteer basis.

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  9. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Our local Goodwill used to offer free loans of medical equipment: crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, etc. A lot of people received these through their insurance and no longer needed them.

Some advice from a local lawyer on liability, and input from local medical folks on what equipment should not be shared, would be smart.

Philbert

10. PA. Woodsman

Yes this is good advice too, thanks!

11. cpttimerestraint

cpttimerestraint ArboristSite Lurker

Our church does this and it is very helpful. It has actually called the helping hands ministry. I borrowed a wheel chair when I had foot surgery.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  12. PA. Woodsman

Our pastor just got back to me and said that she thinks they could do it and have people sign a "hold harmless" waiver form; she said our church has equipment that we loan out, they just need someone to organize and inspect it and prepare the paperwork and all.

I think what has some of the family members agitated is the fact that twice the pastor talked face to face with my father in law about it and not one thing was said about this, now after he is gone it's not a good idea....I think that is putting doubts in people's minds now.

sixonetonoffun and grizz55chev like this.
  13. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

I donated my wife's walker, wheelchair, and other medical equiopment including her hospital bed to the local AMVETS. They haven't picked up the bed yet but it is on their list.

14. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Yes, the church's argument makes sense. My own church doesn't have an official security team for the same reason. There are a bunch of guys organized (by me) to be in charge of security, but it's not officially sanctioned by the church in case some criminal's family decides to sue the church for whatever we might do to them.
    It's unfortunate, really, that we've come to this kind of thing - were stupid junk like this actually is picked up by some brainless lawyer, and then some brainless judge or jury actually rules in favor of the idiots. Nobody can do anything without fear of a lawsuit anymore.

Dahmer and PA. Woodsman like this.
  15. cantoo

cantoo Addicted to ArboristSite

Our local Legion (vets) already do this and I assume in the States there are likely already groups set up to do this.

PA. Woodsman and sixonetonoffun like this.