Favorite chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not knowing EXACTLY what WAS wrong with it, I like the ability to other whatever it might need without using a dealer if need be. The saw is at a big box store, so they really don't know what the problem was. Plus an actual dealer is 60+ mikes away.
Can't speak specifically to the 590, but Echo parts are easy to source on the web.

I did a quuck seach a few days ago and just didn't turn up much at a glance. Guess I was wrong?
Don't know, like I say I haven't looked for 590 parts but my older Echo's are easy to find parts.
OTOH, I see new 590's on the bay for about $350. Makes 300 for an unknown "used" saw less attractive.

What is it that makes you want a 590? At a local dealer, there's a 590 22or24" that is a "customer return" that's been "fixed." (Assuming the customer didn't know how to adjust carb) I can get it for 300 bones. What holds me back is the lack of (as far as I can tell) of AM parts.
I would say I'm a novice when it comes to chainsaws, but the 590 compared to our stihl 290 farm boss is night and day. The 590 almost never gets bogged down. Feels much more powerful.

Not knowing EXACTLY what WAS wrong with it, I like the ability to other whatever it might need without using a dealer if need be. The saw is at a big box store, so they really don't know what the problem was. Plus an actual dealer is 60+ mikes away.
More than likely was used to cut one tree and they guy returned it claiming it did not run right.

If the piston looks clean and it runs good I would take that risk if I needed a saw.

More than likely was used to cut one tree and they guy returned it claiming it did not run right.

If the piston looks clean and it runs good I would take that risk if I needed a saw.
Don't NEED another saw. lol. That's a lie. Of course I do. Won't let me take the plug out or muff off to look. Already asked.

You are taking a gamble if they won’t allow that.

What’s their return policy?
I didn't get far enough to ask about their return policy. I wanted to get to the $230-240 range but the manager wouldn't go any lower. I figured I'd go back in a couple weeks and try to get her down lower if it's still there. It's already been there quite a while already. That's why I was concerned about getting parts.

I didn't get far enough to ask about their return policy. I wanted to get to the $230-240 range but the manager wouldn't go any lower. I figured I'd go back in a couple weeks and try to get her down lower if it's still there. It's already been there quite a while already. That's why I was concerned about getting parts.
With newish Echo saws you just have to plan to order parts retail. On the good side, once tuned properly they are darn near indestructible.

With newish Echo saws you just have to plan to order parts retail. On the good side, once tuned properly that are darn near indestructible.
Good to know, I've been eyeballing Echo in general and keep hearing good things. I've owned German and Swedish, I might as well try Japanese while I'm at it.

My favorite saws are my Sachs Dolmar 114 and 116si. If I'm cutting smaller wood it's the 114 and if I'm cutting bigger wood it the 116si. I also like my, believe it or not, Stihl MS-290. I modded the muffler on it and it cuts as good as the Dolly 116si. In stock form the MS-290 was a slug.

MS440 with 28" bar. Well most of the time. Did pick up a little 192t that is handy for fencelines.

Husky Rancher 55 is always reliable and great overall.

Do have a little echo 370 that is a decent little saw.

Sold many more. Dolmar 5105 is great.

My favorite saws are my Sachs Dolmar 114 and 116si. If I'm cutting smaller wood it's the 114 and if I'm cutting bigger wood it the 116si. I also like my, believe it or not, Stihl MS-290. I modded the muffler on it and it cuts as good as the Dolly 116si. In stock form the MS-290 was a slug.
I too run a ms290. 2012 non square version. I opened the muffler for the first time about a month ago. Was completely stock before. I just can't kill the thing. I'm sure if I do, it'll be a 390 in it's next life.

I swear Echo can sit for two years with the dirt and mud on it and start right up on the second pull with the old fuel that was left in it. I have had many of both, being in the Landscaping business, and can tell you Stihl saws will not tolerate it. I'm keeping the Stihl saws I have, because I'm not wanting to spend the money to buy Echo new for that size (440 Mag and 064) but the Stihl yard tools I have will get replaced by Echo when they need. The Echo saws from 3400T, 352 (2) 490 and (2)590, I'm covered, except I think Im going to treat myself to a 271T, becasuse I want a very light saw to walk with. Almost forgot I do have a Stihl 170 with a dime tip to play at carving with, but, eh..... I suck at it.
Gotta agree. I have a little CS-3400 Echo top handle arborists saw. 17 years hanging off my harness doing about 2 days lopping a fortnight, as well as all the ground based light prunning, and all it's asked for is a new primer bulb. Awesome little saw and reliable as sunrise. Pocket rocket power.

Back