Favorite Climbing Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
Over the last year, on several forums, I have seen several inquiries about climbers preferred saws. I have lots of experience with the Echo 3400, Stihl 020T, and Poulan Super25 as well as limited experience with the new Husky. I prefer the Echo 3400 over the Stihl, mainly because of price and 'feel'. Also, the Stihl seems to not have any low end torque, it only pulls strong when wide open. If it bogs at all, you have to back it out of your cut to rev it up again. I have also had carb troubles with Stihls, and it sux dumping $100 into a saw you already spent $500 for. I can buy 2 Echo's for that much, and they have held up well for me. As for claims that the Echo's lack power, I have used them on thousands of jobs, including 150 crane removals, where I usually am making 8"-12" cuts. I have only used the Husky a couple times, but was impressed with it's feel and power. It seems like an excellent saw.

I like the new Husky, but it took a while for me to like it. They had tons of problems when they came out. It was awful. It has tons of power but still doesnt oil very well. Otherwise, I would take the 020T because I cant find parts very well for the Echo's. For the price the Echo's are nice but service means a bunch to me. Echo might be prominant in your area so we might not have the same problems.
Darin

I've been using a Echo 3000 since Nov. and the more I use it the more I like it. Had trouble with a lean hi-speed mix (don't tell those "chainsaw emission inspection/prosecution guys, but on these saws the limiter caps really do pop right off:) hardly eighth of a turn and had plenty of power.My Husky guy can't tell me that the 335xpt has all the bugs worked out yet but when it does...... Imagine the 335 with Stihl's angled back handlebar and Echo's price- I'd buy six of 'em!! By the way-where did those nine million ebay/flea market/street corner Echos come from anyway ?

While the 335XPT has many problems, it is still my climbing saw of choice. All mine are the old versions, one of them is incredible, will outcut any 020T it has seen. The new ones appear to be improved, but none of my friends' saws will keep up with my old one. Perhaps they need fine tuning. I'll get a new one soon, and find out, I reckon. 020T's are pretty good, but you can no longer get carb's with adjustable high speed jets.

Echo 3400 is a reed valve saw, nice , but way less power than 020T or 335. I'd rather use my handsaws for pruning, anyhow. And it doesn't have the durability of the old Echos.

In my 28 year career, climb saw prgression has been: Homelite Super EZ, Stihl 020, Echo 302S, Echo 330, Stihl 020S and Echo 280 and 3400 and Poulan S25, 335XPT.

Rest of quiver: 034S, 036 Pro, modified Husky 372XP (incredible saw!!) Stihl 044's (last forever and cut great), 066's, Husky 3120 w/36, 42 and 60" bars (eats the 088 for breaky)

Next saws to be 357XP (when Husky solves venting problem) and 346XP.

I used a Husky 3120XP with 4' bar at Davey Tree, that saw would out-pull half our trucks! I did many large Oak removals, and mostly just used it for the stump cut. Rarely had to dice up the trunk, we used cranes or our knuckleboom wood truck on just about all large removals. Sucker was very heavy, but it didn't stop for anything!
My climbing saws were Poulan super25, Echo3000, Stihl020T, Echo 3400(my favorite, have owned several). When I had my own business, my groundman liked the Poulan Super25, I used the Echo3400, had Stihl 024, 026, and 038 for medium/large wood.

Homelite Super EZ all of the way. I have one with a 13" bar, 9 tooth .325" spocket, and Oregon 95VP chain. Cuts like a dream. Jonathan

Latest posts

Back