Favorite Saw You Own

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite saw would probably be my MM 550xp because it is a featherweight with gobs of power but my MM 390xp is in the running because its power is just absurd. Stab a 36" bar into a log at full depth, bury the dogs, lean into it, and let the chips fly. It's a damned light sabre.

That's why I always say what's right for one isn't right for everyone:cheers:.

To explain what I mean by that...

- It's not too flashy, when I am to help my neighbor (the one that thought me how to use a chainsaw and that have a Jred 45cc himself) clearing ground, it wont stand out like I try to be the new prince trying to surpass anyone else.
- It's solid good ol fashion quality that is made to last.
- I know it is a really good chainsaw, to professional standards.
- No childhood problems, tried and true.
- Fully adjustable carburetor, that might not give the best performance - but it certainly gives absolute control.
- It looks good.
- It feels good.
- It's red (which I consider a bonus).

What's up Rob.
That 394 in the tree seems a bit excessive don't you think lol.
I just snagged another 200t last week, strong little saws, I enjoy the 200 rear handle I've got.
Didn't you have a 2511 or the wes(rear handle version) too.

Me and my run on sentences lol. Haven't had the 394 in the tree myself, but have seen plenty of photos and videos of it happening. The best is when people drag their 3120s up to cut 79xx sized sticks. I personally don't like to even drag the dolkita up there unless I have to.

I don't have the 2511 in either form. I have this little thing for pruning duty.
IMG_7699.JPG
Being a carpenter by day, and tree climber by night I already had an ample supply of Makita batteries. Good little 'powered handsaw.' Handy on the day job at times as well. They just released a two battery model that I wish I waited for, but I'll upgrade some day. Not like this gets used a lot anyways. Just need to do some research and get it swapped over to a more readily available chain that comes in a full chisel. Can't have a saw in the stable not running square when there's a simington in the shop.

All that said... If I was a full time tree cutter I would most certainly have a 2511t in the stable.

Me and my run on sentences lol. Haven't had the 394 in the tree myself, but have seen plenty of photos and videos of it happening. The best is when people drag their 3120s up to cut 79xx sized sticks. I personally don't like to even drag the dolkita up there unless I have to.

I don't have the 2511 in either form. I have this little thing for pruning duty.
View attachment 783310
Being a carpenter by day, and tree climber by night I already had an ample supply of Makita batteries. Good little 'powered handsaw.' Handy on the day job at times as well. They just released a two battery model that I wish I waited for, but I'll upgrade some day. Not like this gets used a lot anyways. Just need to do some research and get it swapped over to a more readily available chain that comes in a full chisel. Can't have a saw in the stable not running square when there's a simington in the shop.

All that said... If I was a full time tree cutter I would most certainly have a 2511t in the stable.
Yeah I busted you lol, all in good fun as I knew what you meant.
I'd rather not climb or bring a saw into a tree, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
I snagged up a 2511 but haven't run it yet:cry:, I did snag up another 200t though. I didn't renew my insurance this yr, too busy with the kids to do much work. Glad I didn't since I was sick for over a month this summer and then we had straight winds hit us that knocked down 20+trees here at the house, between that and helping a few friends out I was more than busy. I had two I was supposed to drop today, but it's a muddy mess up here and they wanted to wait, may have to cut some firewood here today.
I've seen those little makitas, glad it's working well for you. I've been watching the battery saws for a while now, I'm sure it won't be much longer before I have one, the battery technology is getting close.
I'm going to freshen up a loop on the simington today for another session of test cuts, maybe I'll add a 7910 into the mix. You'll need to take the wheel down pretty thin to grind the 3/8lp or 1/4, I have a loop of lp that was square filed, it's cute lol.
You inspired me in the woodpile thread over yonder, I hand split a stick of cherry with the fiscars after bucking it up last week:chop:.
Have a great weekend.

Yeah I busted you lol, all in good fun as I knew what you meant.
I'd rather not climb or bring a saw into a tree, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
I snagged up a 2511 but haven't run it yet:cry:, I did snag up another 200t though. I didn't renew my insurance this yr, too busy with the kids to do much work. Glad I didn't since I was sick for over a month this summer and then we had straight winds hit us that knocked down 20+trees here at the house, between that and helping a few friends out I was more than busy. I had two I was supposed to drop today, but it's a muddy mess up here and they wanted to wait, may have to cut some firewood here today.
I've seen those little makitas, glad it's working well for you. I've been watching the battery saws for a while now, I'm sure it won't be much longer before I have one, the battery technology is getting close.
I'm going to freshen up a loop on the simington today for another session of test cuts, maybe I'll add a 7910 into the mix. You'll need to take the wheel down pretty thin to grind the 3/8lp or 1/4, I have a loop of lp that was square filed, it's cute lol.
You inspired me in the woodpile thread over yonder, I hand split a stick of cherry with the fiscars after bucking it up last week:chop:.
Have a great weekend.

I've been running squared 3/8 P on the 200t since I got the simington. I absolutely love it and can't imagine going back at this point. Thinner on the dressing of the wheel, but not bad or hard at all. The makita comes with 3/8 .043 LP. Oddball size. I have only found rolls of archer in that configuration that claim to be full chisel. I don't want to buy a full roll without being certain it is what I am after though. There is a .325 sprocket for them that can be ordered from Japan. Guess I need to see if regular 3/8P will work and find a bar that fits or can be modified to fit. Be nice to only have to order one roll that works for the makita top handle and the 200ts.

Glad I could help inspire. Been out of town for the holidays, and really can't wait to get back to the wood lot and swing the ol maul! Have a great weekend yourself, and a fantastic New Year!

First posting, been reading and learning here but now finally joined.
My favorite is an 064 I bought used. It had 6 3/8" holes in the muffler cover and seems ported... Dunno. It pulls this 32" .404 like my 92cc saws do and when running 3/8 agro square file full comp it pulls with an 8pin. Woodchoppers in Oakhurst tuned it and put a better 2nd port on the muffler. Handle busted the first day in the woods so it got a 660 wrap which isn't correct it's better! I gained about 3 inches of reach from the swap. Yeah it is tweaking and will break too but for logging it is awesome.

020av
362cmr w deck n shave from Woodchoppers
064 fav
066 dunno but does nice w 36" 7 pin
660 Woodchoppers build. My "good saw"
661crap... When your buddy sells ya lemons ya make landing saw lemonade.

Attachments

• 20190925_123758.jpg
    20190925_123758.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 15

View attachment 783310

Had a Homelite Super 1050 on the belt many time, 36” bar, 100 CC’s. Not fun!

First posting, been reading and learning here but now finally joined.
My favorite is an 064 I bought used. It had 6 3/8" holes in the muffler cover and seems ported... Dunno. It pulls this 32" .404 like my 92cc saws do and when running 3/8 agro square file full comp it pulls with an 8pin. Woodchoppers in Oakhurst tuned it and put a better 2nd port on the muffler. Handle busted the first day in the woods so it got a 660 wrap which isn't correct it's better! I gained about 3 inches of reach from the swap. Yeah it is tweaking and will break too but for logging it is awesome.

020av
362cmr w deck n shave from Woodchoppers
064 fav
066 dunno but does nice w 36" 7 pin
660 Woodchoppers build. My "good saw"
661crap... When your buddy sells ya lemons ya make landing saw lemonade.
Welcome to AS Bum.
Looks like an early 064 you got there.

Had a Homelite Super 1050 on the belt many time, 36” bar, 100 CC’s. Not fun!

No, that wouldn't be fun at all. I'm familiar with that beast. Here's my friend who found one on craigslist for $125. Reminds me I still have to get that thing running. Popped with a little fuel down the throat. Fuel lines were gone, tank needs a good cleaning, and I got a carb kit to throw in it.
IMG_3897.JPG

Tough call but I'll go with pro mac 850 for big stuff, ported 272xp for normal size wood and a 246 for topping/limbin. 2511t for up in tree, love that little saw. I just need a better way to attach 2511t to my saddle. Tough to pick just 1.

Favourite saw is definitely a tough one.... Its probably the McCulloch 795, but I honestly don't take it out unless the wood is in the 30"+ range, its just too heavy to lug around.

20170416_124424.jpg

I like it because it runs and starts reliably, its torquey and has a nice thump to the exhaust at idle.

For sheer smiles per gallon, I'd take a gear drive and long bar.... just something about the seemingly unlimited torque.

I've got plenty of 100CC saws, but only one gear drive, a Poulan Super 68. Only 82CC's with a 31" bar.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

Back