ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

FedEx to Deliver Covid Vaccine

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds like they are qualified... and have existing accounts with the pharma companies.

Can't help but wonder if any of the non-refrigerated items will be passed on the the USPS for final delivery... although it's been months since we've had a FedEx truck drop off.

John Lyngdal

John Lyngdal

ArboristSite Guru
Given the logistics of supplying a battlefield, I for one think that the USAF could deliver the vaccines to regional hubs and the local National Guard could perform the community wide distribution.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Given the logistics of supplying a battlefield, I for one think that the USAF could deliver the vaccines to regional hubs and the local National Guard could perform the community wide distribution.
This is how it was done in the past... along with the USPS... not-for-profit organizations.
I don't think the USPS has it's own planes, but the military certainly does.

I'll tell you one thing though - they sure know how to keep a secret.
This has been in the planning stages for many months, but just today it's announced FedEx will be delivering?

Everything about this "pandemic" stinks to high heaven.

berrnard

berrnard

ArboristSite Operative
this is my local paper but owned by USA today
First COVID-19 vaccine to arrive, ship from Louisville UPS hub Sunday (courier-journal.com)

snippet:
Mayer previously told The Courier Journal that UPS will be delivering to states in the eastern half of the United States for roughly 50% of shipments for the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. FedEx will be delivering for the western half of the U.S.

This announcement comes days after UPS began to ship kits necessary to administer the vaccine across the country Thursday.

berrnard

berrnard

ArboristSite Operative
What news source?
and another source updated today

President of UPS Global Healthcare. Wes Wheeler, says UPS “spent months strategizing with Operation Warp Speed officials" on how to best distribute the vaccine. Wheeler also said the two companies will be working closely to divvy up states for the most efficient vaccine delivery.

“Of course, FedEx and UPS have split the country into two, We know exactly what states we have, and they know what states they have.”- Wes Wheeler

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I found this one
But it doesn't say who's shipping what to where.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
and another source updated today

President of UPS Global Healthcare. Wes Wheeler, says UPS “spent months strategizing with Operation Warp Speed officials" on how to best distribute the vaccine. Wheeler also said the two companies will be working closely to divvy up states for the most efficient vaccine delivery.

“Of course, FedEx and UPS have split the country into two, We know exactly what states we have, and they know what states they have.”- Wes Wheeler
Thanks for the updated info.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Santa Pandemic Distribution.png

Phlbert
This has been in the planning stages for many months, but just today it's announced FedEx will be delivering?
It has been on the major news outlets (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) for several days now. FedEx and UPS have the logistical ability to do this. They have also reported on dispensing practice drills around the country.

One of the big challenges with this vaccine, as opposed to other medical products, is the stupid cold temperatures that have to be maintained. They have had to develop special shipping containers and procedures to do this, so it could not be a last minute or casual thing.

I volunteer with disaster response groups, and mass distribution of medications, stockpiling, dispensing, etc., have been openly discussed for many years at conferences, etc. Like a lot of things, it is new information if you don't normally deal with it.

The USPS was considered for things like anthrax, SARS, and other types of vaccine distributions over the years, since they deliver to every address in the country (at least theoretically), but they do not have the technical capability for this super refrigerated stuff, which still has to be diluted and prepared before being administered.
But it doesn't say who's shipping what to where.
I am actually surprised that they have been so open in identifying where the vaccines have been stored, due to potential security risks: people low on the list who want the vaccine immediately, and people who might want to disrupt the whole process due to political views, concerns about vaccines, or just to create havoc or panic situations.

Philbert

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Public Radio said today that in South Dakota the Civil Air Patrol (volunteer, civilian pilots) was helping get the vaccine to smaller, outlying hospitals.
Sounds like a good use of a resource. Maybe FedEx only serves those areas by truck, and the small planes were faster? Not sure of the details.

Philbert

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
This is how it was done in the past... along with the USPS... not-for-profit organizations.
I don't think the USPS has it's own planes, but the military certainly does.

Everything about this "pandemic" stinks to high heaven.
The mask thing is past old. A security lady told a woman in a convenience store she had to put a mask on. The lady without a mask took the security lady’s billy club and beat her with it. People are starting to come to their senses.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
Public Radio said today that in South Dakota the Civil Air Patrol (volunteer, civilian pilots) was helping get the vaccine to smaller, outlying hospitals.
Sounds like a good use of a resource. Maybe FedEx only serves those areas by truck, and the small planes were faster? Not sure of the details.

Philbert
I’m not sure how fedex stays in business. Anytime someone uses them to ship to me and I track the package it passes me and goes to Kansas City then sets there a day before back tracking 180 miles. WTH? There’s a hub in Wichita that truck went to before going to Kansas City. I’m 25 minutes outside Wichita.