Felling a leaner going against my neighbors house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HakonJ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

I have a fairly/medium tall birch with a few dead branches, that leans slightly towards my neighbors house. I am afraid it is about to start dying, and am a bit anxious it could fall over my neighbors house some time in the future. I would like to take it down, but thought I'd get some advice here first. How would you go about felling this tree, when it has to be felled as a side-leaner? Is it easy enough to overcome this amount of side lean, with just basic techniques and wedges? Was thinking a notch 45-60 degrees from the leaning direction, bore cut with an angled hinge, holding band opposite of the leaning direction, a solid wedge and then cut the holding wood. And maybe the classic homeowner trick, with a buddy pulling on a rope [emoji16]

The second photo is taken straight behind, showing the leaning direction.

Appreciate all the help!
8a24a9ef5d78a7378cf7e17604576e3c.jpg
7f5814f6503d072bd37caa316c24c5b5.jpg
ccd64e98b1e83bf51cbd081c64ab2693.jpg
180866fdee9d3e8e4e2c1dfb37c27a09.jpg

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

I’d put a rope in it and use a masdam rope puller and pull it away from the house. I have pulled worse trees than that with them. Don’t bore cut the tree put a notch about 1/3 into it and back cut slowly and keep working the rope puller and tightening as you go.

Never put a sloping back cut in make sure all your cuts are on the same plane. If you’re worried it slipping back at you once you have pulled your face cut out have a slight step up between your face and back cut or B do a humboldt face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call a pro, piece it out. Or have at it, keep your fingers crossed, hope you don’t have to figure out who’s insurance is going to cover any damage, but make sure to keep the camera rolling, you may need the YouTube revenue after the tree is in their house.

If you're confident falling side lean, that tree is no big deal.

But since you're here asking, you probably aren't confident in falling side lean....so, I would suggest (since there's some dwellings at risk here) calling a professional. Shouldn't cost you much for a pro to come lay it down and you can cut it up.

If it were me and going just by the pictures:

I'd aim the undercut right about where you're standing in the first picture. Back cut leaving more holding wood on the high side. My guess(without being there of course) is that tree will go that way on it's own without any issues. So I would be cutting from the high side and with my hinge set where I want it on the high side, nibbling wood on the low side till she goes. Maybe a couple light taps with a wedge if she's being stubborn and it's cut up.

I’d put a rope in it and use a masdam rope puller and pull it away from the house. I have pulled worse trees than that with them. Don’t bore cut the tree put a notch about 1/3 into it and back cut slowly and keep working the rope puller and tightening as you go.
I do that just to make sure one red oak does not damage another. Friend owns local tree service or neighbor brings over his excavator. So 90ft high ranger or Cat 312.

If you're confident falling side lean, that tree is no big deal.

But since you're here asking, you probably aren't confident in falling side lean....so, I would suggest (since there's some dwellings at risk here) calling a professional. Shouldn't cost you much for a pro to come lay it down and you can cut it up.

If it were me and going just by the pictures:

I'd aim the undercut right about where you're standing in the first picture. Back cut leaving more holding wood on the high side. My guess(without being there of course) is that tree will go that way on it's own without any issues. So I would be cutting from the high side and with my hinge set where I want it on the high side, nibbling wood on the low side till she goes. Maybe a couple light taps with a wedge if she's being stubborn and it's cut up.
I made the cut the way you described. Used wedges, and a rope as security. Everything went well, and the tree behaved nicely. Thanks to those of you who contributed with well meaning advice.

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back