Felling cuts in ‘naughty’ wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawSloth

Reaction score
Hello friends! 130’ old growth doug fir, 6+’ at the base, leans towards a home at perhaps a 20 deg angle for the first 30’, then dog legs straight for the most part. The dog leg/arc goes w the sun, that side had massive branches all the way up, removed those to see if it could be fallen after attempting to adjust the favor. Looks decent, however looking at the stump i cant visualize a strong hinge in this ‘unclean’ wood fiber. So im thinking topping, etc, was curious to everyones perspective, considering i dont have much experience.
Oh yeah, the route for a pull line would probably require blocks and routing, and probably cutting a path/s. Thank you!

Attachments

• F7E417DD-9C53-4528-891B-33FDAB3696B3.jpeg
    F7E417DD-9C53-4528-891B-33FDAB3696B3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 32
Gotta have the equipment to be successful.

Brother and I are taking trees out of people's yards every weekend as a side business and use gaffes, slingshots, pulleys, cables, straps and 12000 lb winch.
We never take chances, even if tree is leaning away from house it gets strapped over half way up the tree.

Your going to have to get leverage well up that large tree to drop it where you want it or hire a bunch of nuts like us.
We don't charge a penny but we get the logs and firewood. Lol

Be safe.

Gotta have the equipment to be successful.

Brother and I are taking trees out of people's yards every weekend as a side business and use gaffes, slingshots, pulleys, cables, straps and 12000 lb winch.
We never take chances, even if tree is leaning away from house it gets strapped over half way up the tree.

Your going to have to get leverage well up that large tree to drop it where you want it or hire a bunch of nuts like us.
We don't charge a penny but we get the logs and firewood. Lol

Be safe.
I have most the ‘equipment’, including a 12k, and a brother helping,
Was mainly curious as to if peeps put directional felling cuts in things like this, before taking weight off, or perhaps without a pull line. Experiences/insight without targets are fine also. Probably a dumb question, prob one i know the answer too, all i know is they say to use clean wood fiber, i havent fallen anything that looks like this before.
Figured id top it out, chunk or slab/salami slice it down. Im not entirely comfortable w a pull line considering my options at the moment. Probably a high set line attached to a near, smaller tree, with a tail hold. I have blocks and 200’ 5/8 18k, also plenty of cable if that was the better option. I would also have to be able to transfer from at least a couple k of pull tention, to letting it run free,(only anchor isnt in the most suitable loc) why i ordered the bull line. Also, is there a friction type device used for this scenario in pulling? Id imagine relieving tention on a prussic wont do it, as cool as i think it sounds.

Back