Felling direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, let's get things straight, Bob is not a logger and never has been one. That's the bottom line. So what is the issue here? Anybody who has made a living in the woods knows that Bob hasn't. So I will thank everybody to cut through the ********. Bob the Knob is not a logger and never has been one.

John, c'mon. I could just delete these comments but nobody learns anything that way. I get that you don't like the guy, but why the unsubstantiated and unwarranted attacks? Is the cabin fever getting to you? Yukon winter a bit longer than usual? Is a good scrap what you need to kill the boredom?

No. The hickory I cut was planted as an ornamental for some reason and was damaged by an ice storm, so it was marked for removal. We don't ordinarily have them here, nor osage orange. On that project I also cut a bunch of red oak, sweetgum, and sycamore, which we also don't have here.
Very common in these parts two of those can create problems in different ways. Sweetgum hinge cannot be trusted in many situations of lean toward a home or other high value object. The only way I trust it is with rope pulled directly against the lean and cut the same. Or snubbed to fell to the side if obstruction of the snubbing rope is not possible throughout the fall! The snubbed rope in that scenario will act as my hinge when the hinge fails. Red oak is our biggest chair tree and steps to prevent the chair are taken like in this fell. I know it is not a logging fell but you might see the similarities and difficulties in urban felling where there are no whoops or your ruint!badone_007 (1).jpg badone_001.JPG badone_004 (1).jpg

I found the red oak I cut here to behave on the stump much better than expected. The sweetgum was definitely more brittle and prone to breaking its hinge. The sycamore, with its short, heavy, wet fibers was my least favorite and least predictable. That tree doesn't seem to want to be swung at all in any direction. I imagine that if I had more experience with these species I'd learn their tricks, but with what limited trigger time I have, that's what I was able to observe.

I found the red oak I cut here to behave on the stump much better than expected. The sweetgum was definitely more brittle and prone to breaking its hinge. The sycamore, with its short, heavy, wet fibers was my least favorite and least predictable. That tree doesn't seem to want to be swung at all in any direction. I imagine that if I had more experience with these species I'd learn their tricks, but with what limited trigger time I have, that's what I was able to observe.
Yes red oak is ok 80% of the time until it chairs splits then its a cranky old fart. Gums only worry is the hinge and sycamore is a cuss word to all that cut trees lol I just sneezed thinking of it :p

Sycamore is ok in my book.

C'mon Rope, tell him why you really hate sycamore. As I recall, you get the itchy-sneezies real bad on those, don't you? An awful lot of other folks do too.

For those not familiar with the tree: they throw zillions of airborn fibers into the air when you cut them up. Some people seem to be allergic to them, others just feel like they have been working with fiberglass insulation. Either way, they are not usually a very popular tree among those that use a chainsaw on them. Fortunately, I seem to be exempt from plant irritations of any sort, although I'm not real fond of thorny honeylocust. I kinda hate pruning anything with thorns.

I just realized I'm dumber than a sack of hammers.
I live off the grid and just came home in the dark.
So I filled up my Honda generator with gas, but must have spilled some, cause couldnt tell if the on/off switch was on or off, so I lit my bic lighter like an idiot. All facial hair ablaze and generator on fire. Three minutes before I got it blown out,
But miraculously the generator still works, but you should see my face. I don't really give a damn anymore, I just want to listen to rock and roll music, drink some home brew and cut a bit of wood.
It's just a nice feeling when it's minus 29 outside and it's 62 degrees here in my shack and spring is just around the corner.
And by the way, for some unknown reason all woman rock!

Sycamore is ok in my book.

C'mon Rope, tell him why you really hate sycamore. As I recall, you get the itchy-sneezies real bad on those, don't you? An awful lot of other folks do too.

For those not familiar with the tree: they throw zillions of airborn fibers into the air when you cut them up. Some people seem to be allergic to them, others just feel like they have been working with fiberglass insulation. Either way, they are not usually a very popular tree among those that use a chainsaw on them. Fortunately, I seem to be exempt from plant irritations of any sort, although I'm not real fond of thorny honeylocust. I kinda hate pruning anything with thorns.
I'm not allergic to anything but when chipping that stuff everyone I know gags, including myself!

I just realized I'm dumber than a sack of hammers.
I live off the grid and just came home in the dark.
So I filled up my Honda generator with gas, but must have spilled some, cause couldnt tell if the on/off switch was on or off, so I lit my bic lighter like an idiot. All facial hair ablaze and generator on fire. Three minutes before I got it blown out,
But miraculously the generator still works, but you should see my face. I don't really give a damn anymore, I just want to listen to rock and roll music, drink some home brew and cut a bit of wood.
It's just a nice feeling when it's minus 29 outside and it's 62 degrees here in my shack and spring is just around the corner.
And by the way, for some unknown reason all woman rock!
No wonder non smokers live longer!

I didn't have any allergy issues with it, just basic mechanics. Might be because I was cutting on midwinter days where the temperature barely broke freezing and there were no leaves or anything on the trees.

Sawdust off a sycamore isn't so bad; it's when you put the branches through a chipper that they get real irritating.

Back