Felling lever with cant hook - max diameter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esean

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the maximum diameter log the cant hook on the Husqvarna (or similar) felling lever can reasonably handle? I do a lot of thinning of 6-12" (15-30 cm) hardwoods where the lever could be useful for felling, and wondered if the hook could roll 12-16" logs when I cut firewood. Thanks!

The Husqvarna felling lever is only 30" long, which is a disadvantage as its a short lever. Depending on your strength, and the log length, you should be able to roll up to 18" diameter logs I would think. My 60" Logrite will roll 30"-36" diameter logs.

Can anybody tell me the maximum diameter log the cant hook on the Husqvarna (or similar) felling lever can reasonably handle? I do a lot of thinning of 6-12" (15-30 cm) hardwoods where the lever could be useful for felling, and wondered if the hook could roll 12-16" logs when I cut firewood. Thanks!
I can't answer your question as to the maxi a Husky will grip, but 30" is fine to turn 12 to 16" logs of a reasonable length. Long or crooked stems - too short. Fairly straight 12 to 16' logs - no problem.

Below is a 30" cant hook my father logged with in the early 60s. Of course, he had other tools. I have used it for firewood cutting for almost 40 years. Much more convenient than a 48" which I have also used a lot. You can see that the 30" one is a full size hook fitted to a short handle. You can also see where one of my former pups teethed on it.

IMG_5765.JPG

Ron

Back