Felling Wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jefflovstrom said:
Don't know how to use it, Don't use it.
Jeff Lovstrom

What is that supposed to mean? More than two seconds of thought into a post would be nice.

Smokechase great post I figured that's what you were talking about but wasn't sure (stacking wedges). I always made sure to have lots of wedges on hand but that was because I was mainly trying to get trees to go against where they wanted as we moved across the block. Many times I was glad to have the extra wedges. I was also fortunate to have a longtime faller with me who after a WCB settlement couldn't go back to falling but could hook on a highlead?(never could figure that out). He taught me to cut trees and I taught him to climb trees(rig spars). He was easy to teach because he was also a hanglider pilot, fearless isn't a good enough word to describe that man.

Last edited:
I am interested in the proper use of felling wedges. More specifically when and when NOT to use them, and also different techniques. Are wooden wedges OK or are the plastic ones better?
I buy a bunch of plastic wedges when i am at harbor frieght , they are a fraction of what you would pay for stihl or Oregonian brand
since i consider them pretty much disposable, i usually nick them or bust them up while driving them

Plastic or wooden wedges and maasdam rope puller on every fall that's close to structures or any other objects on or around a building lot. I'm not interested in filing an insurance claim.

What is that supposed to mean? More than two seconds of thought into a post would be nice.

Smokechase great post I figured that's what you were talking about but wasn't sure (stacking wedges). I always made sure to have lots of wedges on hand but that was because I was mainly trying to get trees to go against where they wanted as we moved across the block. Many times I was glad to have the extra wedges. I was also fortunate to have a longtime faller with me who after a WCB settlement couldn't go back to falling but could hook on a highlead?(never could figure that out). He taught me to cut trees and I taught him to climb trees(rig spars). He was easy to teach because he was also a hanglider pilot, fearless isn't a good enough word to describe that man.

The hook tender (hooker) is the foreman (lead hand) on a highlead tower logging show. He is responsible for defining how the cut block will be logged (where the tailblocks are located etc), essentially the production of the operation. The old style highlead tower sides had the hook tender, the rigging slinger (who was responsible for the chokerman and ran the signalling whistles), 1 or 2 chokermen (the grunts who would wrap the logs with the cable chokers), chaser (guy who worked in the landing and unhooked the logs) and the tower engineer (guy who operated the tower).

Back