Female climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you hire a gay individual. If you would hire a woman and not a gay person (as they may both not be entirely physically capable for all the jobs) is that not discrimination.

I have had a girl ground for me and 1 gay guy (unbeknownst to me when I hired him) but prob. wouldn't do it again. They both did not work out in the long run.

I subbed out with a crew in SF for a week to knock out some stuff they'd backlogged. I think there were 4 maybe 5 guys on the crew--urban lumberjacks through and through, real "testicle" busters all of them. I found out at the end of the week they were all gay...

I subbed out with a crew in SF for a week to knock out some stuff they'd backlogged. I think there were 4 maybe 5 guys on the crew--urban lumberjacks through and through, real "testicle" busters all of them. I found out at the end of the week they were all gay...

Queer eucmen; scary thought! Did they have silver duct-tape on their boots like all the others?

I worked with a gay climber a few times, years ago, back in GA. I won't mention his name because we called him by the same moniker as one of our more colorful characters on this site (plus I wouldn't call him out in a public forum). He was a very effeminate guy and there was no doubt about his sexual orientation (although he was very respectful of everyone he worked with). He was an uber technical climber (though it took him about twice the time to set up and remove or prune a tree than most) and if you had a question on any aspect of climbing he was the man to ask. I had no problem with him and learned a thing or two from him.

I worked with a gay climber a few times, years ago, back in GA. I won't mention his name because we called him by the same moniker as one of our more colorful characters on this site (plus I wouldn't call him out in a public forum). He was a very effeminate guy and there was no doubt about his sexual orientation (although he was very respectful of everyone he worked with). He was an uber technical climber (though it took him about twice the time to set up and remove or prune a tree than most) and if you had a question on any aspect of climbing he was the man to ask. I had no problem with him and learned a thing or two from him.

flamer oakman with OCD.....?

We are up there

I am a climber, a working climber. I think it is funny that more women have not replied to this thread. Maybe they got their feelings bruised by all of the " hip thrusting " and such. I did ground work and decided to go for the pay raise and challange of climbing. I am 46 now and only go up a couple of times a week. We are there.

i think i replied to gay climbers instead of female climbers- oops. anywho, i am a female climber. any questions?

I have worked with men throughout my entire career. I like working with guys. Like anything else out there, there are good ones and bad ones. Most of the men i have worked with have respected me. That doesnt necessarily mean that they didnt bust on me or make occasional sexual remarks- it must means that they didnt cross that line that the other ladies in the forum referred to. I am small ( just over 5 feet and 115 lbs) so there are things that i can do better than the big guys and vice versa ( sp?) . I do not have a problem with a big guy lifting a heavy piece of wood for me. When I climb I am strong enough. I did big take downs years ago with a crane. I called the crane the equalizer. It allowed me to take things apart as quickly ( and safely) as the guys. My boss sold the crane :( We still are working but we do not take on the big uglies anymore. I currently have my man working with us on the ground. He is the best ground help i ever had. Yeah- you know i am looking at him and loving it. Back to the snappy patter topic. Why not joke around? It does help relieve tension and i enjoy it. I only had one jerk cross the line with me and he was fired because he was also a poor worker and an ass. If he was a great worker we may have been able to get past it :)View attachment 237449

Don't work with treemandan he'll drool all over you:msp_tongue:

You should stick around maybe your presence will help keep the girl fights down

I had really wanted my Daughter to follow in my gaff steps and be an arborist. She's in college now and is studying animal behaviorism. She would of been a great arborist, but probably for the best because I'ed of taking a chainsaw to anyone who disrespected her.
With the new super hand saws and light weight trimming saws these day, I see no reason a women can't excel in this business as a climber. Iv'e seen some delicate looking dudes that couldn't handle a 088 up in a tree still do alright in this industry
My Daughter recently ask for help in a forestry class she took at NUA. I was pretty happy when she texted me a few weeks ago and said,"We got an A".
Maybe it's the way I was raised, or the fact I was born and raised in So. Calif. but my mind isn't closed by preconceived Ideas. If I was to discriminate, it wouldn't be gender or sexual orientation, but ignorance. Good natured ribbing and teasing though kind of go with the job to a degree and it probably something that should be expected.

I had really wanted my Daughter to follow in my gaff steps and be an arborist. She's in college now and is studying animal behaviorism. She would of been a great arborist, but probably for the best because I'ed of taking a chainsaw to anyone who disrespected her.
With the new super hand saws and light weight trimming saws these day, I see no reason a women can't excel in this business as a climber. Iv'e seen some delicate looking dudes that couldn't handle a 088 up in a tree still do alright in this industry
My Daughter recently ask for help in a forestry class she took at NUA. I was pretty happy when she texted me a few weeks ago and said,"We got an A".
Maybe it's the way I was raised, or the fact I was born and raised in So. Calif. but my mind isn't closed by preconceived Ideas. If I was to discriminate, it wouldn't be gender or sexual orientation, but ignorance. Good natured ribbing and teasing though kind of go with the job to a degree and it probably something that should be expected.

I run a husky 338xpt in the air and a 346xp on the ground. I can run bigger saws but for the long haul this is what i prefer. Glad to hear you are so supportive of your daughter. My father was a dr. and he was pretty horrified and disappointed with my career choice. I have a ba from columbia u and i climb trees and drive a small dump truck. oh well. i am happy.

Cool, this thread got a bump!
Hiya Sheila!
Hard to believe this thread started three years ago, I'm still climbing and cutting, but yes, two or three days a week is plenty!
Pic from a crane removal...I love machinery

Last edited:
the crane made it good...

Cool, this thread got a bump!
Hiya Sheila!
Hard to believe this thread started three years ago, I'm still climbing and cutting, but yes, two or three days a week is plenty!
Pic from a crane removal...I love machinery

I really enjoyed the crane shots you posted. It brings back good memories. I loved working with our crane ( all except with the add on, jib boom:msp_ohmy:). If you dont mind me asking, how old are you?

Back