fermentation of food

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any one make sauerkraut or other fermented yummys? I ferment all kinds of vegie's but nothing fancy. Every thing is done in a food grade plastic pails. Sometimes I'll do big batches but would rather do small and eat it fresh lol and not canned or frozen.

I eat a lot of kraut and kimchee but never made any. Love to drink kombucha as well.
You should make your own its easy and much better
WP_20170409_18_57_36_Pro.jpg

I eat a lot of kraut and kimchee but never made any. Love to drink kombucha as well.

If I'd have known that Steve, i would have sent you home with a jar of kraut!

We make about 10 gallons every fall. We grow a kraut making variety of cabbage and use a 10 gallon ceramic crock for fermenting it. We make kimchi occasionally also. Last year I got pi$sed off after breaking a jar in the canning pot while making pickles and I put the last of my pickling cucumbers in a one gallon crock with some garlic, peppercorns, and a salt brine. They were amazing!! Way easier than canning. I didn't get to find out how long they lasted because we couldn't stop eating them.

We make about 10 gallons every fall. We grow a kraut making variety of cabbage and use a 10 gallon ceramic crock for fermenting it. We make kimchi occasionally also. Last year I got pi$sed off after breaking a jar in the canning pot while making pickles and I put the last of my pickling cucumbers in a one gallon crock with some garlic, peppercorns, and a salt brine. They were amazing!! Way easier than canning. I didn't get to find out how long they lasted because we couldn't stop eating them.
I'll do big batches if I'm going to give it away. Then I will can it. But I always have something rotting on the counter.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the name Sandor Katz. Any thread about fermentation of food shouldn't get to the second page without his name. Mr. Katz has two great books about fermented foods from simple stuff like pickles to crazy ferments like miso and natto. Anyone interested in the subject should absolutely look up his books!

Jeez you've got all the goodies. Guess a return trip is really warranted now!

We pickle cukes when in season. I like to use small 1 or 2 gallon stoneware crocks to try and shoot for half sours. I also like pickled beets and onions. Jars usually do not make Christmas. I will pickle eggs when the hens are not being lazy. I am not a big fan of sauerkraut. I like it on a hot dog or a reuben but I don’t think I could sit down to a big bowl of it, although it is reported to be excellent for your health. I have always wanted to try making garum but chicken out at the last minute.

http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/garum.htm

I don’t know, I think it would have a great umami kick. I cook with Nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce) quite a bit and it is great stuff. You use it just like soy sauce.

Back