File guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbj

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a file guide kit at Walmart the brand is trilink come with 1 file guide and 5/32 , 3/16 , 7/32 files for best results should I have picked up separate guides for each file , thanks for any help

Not sure about that brand but I do know some guides are not interchangeable. Probably have to check each one separately. As long as the file is held tight and the depth is correct for each file it should work fine.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply all files do go into the holder fine , not sure about the depth ?

Thanks for the reply all files do go into the holder fine , not sure about the depth ?
Basically you just need to make sure each file fits into the corresponding tooth correctly. Make sure it's not too high or low in the tooth.

Lol..or if you look from the outside of the tooth it's a beak. the more pronounced the beak ..the greater the hook. a smaller file can create a greater hook even know it doesn't sit as low in the gullet. You got it?

I'm sorry I don't use file guides. I can only assume they will all work with it but many things are specific to the file. If it doesn't say then I would think it will.

Never mind all that above. Let's start with what chain and saw you are using
so we can help you choose the proper file first. May need some numbers.
Like the pitch...325? 3/8. Make of chain? It could be a low profile?
Maybe a picture may be the easiest.
Thanks

Any guide i have seen never let the file sit deep enough. Just practice free handing it. Get the file into the tooth, line up the angle and push the stroke. Remove file and reset it on tooth , push the stroke. Never pull back. Takes a little practice but youll get the hang of it.

Dull...

Getting sharp..

thanks for all replies , tried the 3/16 with guide it did not go deep , going to try the stihl guide that's matched to my saw which is a 290 with .325 pitch

Any guide i have seen never let the file sit deep enough. Just practice free handing it. Get the file into the tooth, line up the angle and push the stroke. Remove file and reset it on tooth , push the stroke. Never pull back. Takes a little practice but youll get the hang of it.

Dull...

Getting sharp..

I often find the Husqvarna guides go too deep. I will build up with tape as wear appears.

Lotta strokes to get that chain above sharp. Got a pic of top plate after sharpening?

N
Recently purchased a file guide kit at Walmart the brand is trilink come with 1 file guide and 5/32 , 3/16 , 7/32 files for best results should I have picked up separate guides for each file , thanks for any help
No, the kit may be for someone it wasn't sure what file that would suite them or someone with different saws like a tree service guy may get in a pinch. I'm still not sure what file is correct for your chain?
what is the make of the chain? ....Stihl? Oregon? Husqvarna? Windsor? Charlton? ect. and the markings and numbers. Stihl may use a smaller file.

I often find the Husqvarna guides go too deep. I will build up with tape as wear appears.

Lotta strokes to get that chain above sharp. Got a pic of top plate after sharpening?

Something like this?

This chain was pretty hammered up.

Why you filing into the cutting side of the tooth? Your results look good but I've never filed that way.

P.S. if the file slips you've a better chance of loosing a knuckle too.:eek:

Just the way I was taught. I guess I can try from the outside in and see how that goes. That may be better for the sidecutter. Never thought of trying it that way. And I havent slipped yet...lol

I tried a guide. Once.

It turns out that I can’t file with a guide. Or without. So I just go without.

I have never seen a pro use a guide. Or a vice.

Maybe someday I will get better. If I practice enough.

I do a much better job when I pay attention and concentrate on what I am doing.

I actually dont normally use a vise. I only put it in the vise to take those pictures to help out someone else. I just plop it down on whatever, hunker down over the power head and go to town. But I am still not a pro by any means..lol

I really like my stihl 2 in 1 file set simply because I get the teeth and rakers in one shot. I'm surprised how many people don't know the rakers have to be maintained also. I have a granberg file n joint but I only use that for my milling chains. Hand filing isn't difficult. Just do some research and practice. You'll know when you get it right by the smile on your face when the chain hits the wood.

I actually dont normally use a vise. I only put it in the vise to take those pictures to help out someone else. I just plop it down on whatever, hunker down over the power head and go to town. But I am still not a pro by any means..lol

Sorry, my reply was not directed towards you whatsoever. I was just making a general statement.

I was trying only to make a point that concentrated practice makes perfect and that my personal opinion of guides/vices for filing is pretty low, at best.

Back