File maintence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I looked through past threads but couldnt find the info I was after so I will ask you all. What do you guys do with your old files?
I have always just chucked them over the hill and it makes my dad cringe every time I do it. I was cleaning up inside the barn the other day and I bet I rounded up two coffee cans full that he has saved over the years. Any ideas on breathing some life back into them? Later, Wade

Nope, they are about as useful as all those used chains rusted in the bottom of every treeman's toolbox. If they are not good enough to use today, why will they be good enough to use next week? Toss 'em.

To help keep my files from getting dull and cruddy before their time, I use this to keep them clean and dry until they are no longer sharp enough to use. Then I pitch them (in a garbage can).
Tossing them in tall grass can be dangerous. Imagine what will happen to that old file when it gets hit by a lawnmower blade. :eek:

Yeah, somebody had mentioned using pvc to keep files in, sounds like a good idea I have enough old fittings and pipe around to make that. Dont worry about the lawn mower I pitch them down over a bank where no man or machine will ever be. Anyway, I do it more than anything just to get a rise out of my dad. He always tells me to soak them in vinger( crap, I spelled that wrong you and john will be all over me!!). Anyway, he swears that it will make them cut again. Oh! did you notice I changed my sig? Later Wade

Keep the ones on my truck in a piece of 2" pvc with a clean out on one end. Rest of them stay in the box until I put them in my truck, then they still stay in the little plastic package. Files are delicate.

A while ago I read about "sharpening" files on a wood working forum. The process involved soaking files in an acid bath. The acid would eat away the file a little but in the process, would leave the cutting edges in a more distinct profile. After following the discussion, the conclusion was that using acid and then having to wash off the acid and neutralize the process wasn't worth the risk. Files aren't that expensive.

I wonder if the vinegar soak corrodes the files or just cleans out the gunk.

My saw files are stored in a short piece of half inch copper tubing. One end is soldered on the cap is a ninety degree el that slips on. The small diameter keeps the files from jiggling too much against each other which would dull them.

All of my old steel goes into barrels. Once a year I make a trip to the scrap yard. Never make much money but I feel better about assuring that the steel is reused. Minnesota already has enough big, old, open holes in it. Now they're digging big holes in Brazil, Indonesia, etc. The Earth is better off with fewer open holes.

Tom

A saw file is worth less than a buck so its not worth fiddling with once it doesn't cut well. The duller it is the bigger the burr or wire edge it leaves on the cutter. I throw them aside to use for deepening gullets etc where you can use more force and the finish isn't particular.
The acid sharpening does work with horse shoe rasps. Battery acid or hydrochloric acid will work. You would think that it would eat up the thin edges of the files cutters and leave it duller but it doesnt. It isnt as sharp as a new one but it does smarten it up. The safety issues with the acid etc. puts it in the category of silly experiment though!

Frank

To get the most life out of my files I carry a shop rag and clean my chain before sharpening (to remove the oil and sawdust) and I use 'blackboard chalk' on the file to keep them from getting plugged with filings . If they do get gummed , I spray them down with starting fluid to clean/degrease them ,and then use a toothbrush-looking wirebrush on them. I will try the vinegar soak tho,,,white or cider ? Hmmm, I wonder if C.L.R. would work , I know it is dynamite on plugged well points ! Jon

Whistler,
I believe he uses white vineager. I dont know if it works or not he says it does. The chalk doesn't plug up the file? Sounds like a neat idea. Later Wade

Wade , Yes the chaulk does 'plug' the file but that is the concept behind it . The chaulk takes up the space(in the filecutter) that the metal from the chain would plug up therefore allowing the cuttings to fall out or 'clear the file' for longer life . I learned this trick from an old lineman in the early 70s' ...Jon

Ever since I learned to do the 90 second tickle in a minute and a half, I have learned to take extra good care of my files, by using a handy little file caddy I designed all by myself. When I am finished with them, I send them to Madsens so they can powertune them.
John

Nice design John. Have you thought about a patent?
Let me know, I can help you out on the application if you want.

Back