Files for square chisel...Brand and style?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I would like to know what some folks recommend for square filing chisel chain. I have used the 6 sided flat style. The files I used came from Baileys, not sure what brand, and they seemed to dull quickly. Look forward to some great input here. Thanks in advance!

I have used the 6 sided flat style. The files I used came from Baileys, not sure what brand, and they seemed to dull quickly.
That's the type I seem to have the best luck with, in the Bailey's cat. it's called - PFERD double beveled chisel file. I've noticed if they're only used for touch up they last a long time, but with a lot of filing like converting a round ground to a square filed, you go though them faster.

I use the Pferds from Bailey's. I've heard Vallorbe are OK too, but I've never seen them available. I thought I was wearing my square files out quick too, but got thinking about a few things then I quit worrying about it:

1. I use Stihl RSLK. Pretty hard tooth, hard on files. Judging by your sig, that's what you use.

2. When square filing, you use the same part of the file every time, all the time. A round file can be rotated, so you have more filing surface available to wear down.

3. Since I am not proficient yet, I find myself filing more because I'm chasing a high or low corner, or bad angles. I'm getting better, though.....

4. I think I get as many or more chains out of a square file than I do a round file. I usually get a 3-4 chains out of a round file. The last square file got 4 or more done, and one was converting round filed to square filed (that's a lot of filing). Another one of those was a 32" full comp loop. There's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back!

5. You can buy a lot of files for the price of a Silvey Pro Sharp. So you burn a few files. Square Rocks!

Hope that helps :cheers:

I have sold Save Edge files for the past two years, and have heard nothing but good things from my customers. They are a US based company that imports the file blanks (the US can't seem to make a decent file blank) and cuts them. They are roughly $6.50ea for either flat or triangular, and I have the ability to send dull files back for resharpening at a fraction of that cost. I have had customers get as many as four resharpenings done on a single file. As far as what style to buy...if you are just starting out, try a flat style file as they are easier to learn with. Once you get the technique down, most people switch to a triangular style because they seem to cut faster and stay sharper longer.

Triangle files look intriguing. I've been wanting to try them. I ordered some from my Stihl dealer, but the corners were rounded!!?? Not sure what they expect me to do with those. Figured I'd try some from Baileys on my next order. Seems to me you'd have a bit more control over the individual angles. I'd also be anxious to hear from someone who has used both.

I'm going to try both styles and see how I like them. It is time for somebody to step up to the plate and produce a workable jig. Silvey must love it that none exists.

What if I end up having to buy a Prosharp?

FYI We are working with a Swedish Company that has been making a jig for the goofy file and have prototypes of a jig that will use the 2270-6 Vallorbe chisel bit file. We are planning to have it available later this year. We will update as we get closer to having them available. Tony

The triangular file is a bit difficult to get into a new Stihl cutter if you are converting round filed to chisel bit. Just the first sharpening. You cannot get quite as slender angles with the tri file as with the flat style without getting into the tie straps pretty hard but if you are satisfied with something like the original factory grind it is ok

The triangular file is a bit difficult to get into a new Stihl cutter if you are converting round filed to chisel bit. Just the first sharpening. You cannot get quite as slender angles with the tri file as with the flat style without getting into the tie straps pretty hard but if you are satisfied with something like the original factory grind it is ok

yup, pretty much what Frank said.

I like the triangle files for work chains, and in the field filing.

The flat style will give you much better angles. I use these for my play chains

When I was learing, I couldn't get it down with the flat file so I tried the triangle file and that was way easier for me to learn.

The older NLA Stihl (flat) files were good, the Pferds or ok. The save edge's are really what I like. They seem to last 2-3 times longer than the pferds.

Those woodsman pro files from Baileys are horrible. They put them on clearance instead of sending them back to the manufacture. Don't wasted your money on them. I found a good use for them-depth gauges. lol

To you guys wearing out files so quickly. Clean the chain off first. Filing in the field is one thing, but if doing it in the shop, clean them off. It is amazing how just a little oil or dirt will clog the file and make it skip ever so slightly

Thanks guys! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I am looking to make some "fast" chains and this will help flatten the learning curve.

Thanks guys! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I am looking to make some "fast" chains and this will help flatten the learning curve.

hope you are interested in devoting a ton of your time, if you are just starting out!

That's the type I seem to have the best luck with, in the Bailey's cat. it's called - PFERD double beveled chisel file. I've noticed if they're only used for touch up they last a long time, but with a lot of filing like converting a round ground to a square filed, you go though them faster.

I was looking through Baileys last night and couldn't figure out which one. Then you enlightened me! Thanks! :cheers:

hope you are interested in devoting a ton of your time, if you are just starting out!

Actually I was tought square filing by Soren ######## almost 15 years ago at GOL classes. I just wanted to know what everyone thought was the best equipment.

File Maintenance

(Pun Intended)

Looking for some information on square file choices and availability, I ran across several, similar threads. Some are older. Pointing people to this one, below, so that everyone can share information with everyone else, and keep things current.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/square-files.341252/

Philbert

Latest posts

Back