Filling checked voids in cookies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I milled some red oak cookies. The are about 26" by 40". I know they are going to check. I want to use epoxy resin to fill the voids but the product I have is very expensive (west system) and want to use something less expensive that sands well. These cookies are going to be tables. I'm thinking that I'd like to squeegee a pigmented resin into to voids, sand the table smooth, and then finish with a urethane. I'm thinking the squeegee idea because off the numerous voids and it will cut down on the amount of sanding to differentiate the filled voids from the rest of the wood. Thoughts?

I saw an article in Epoxyworks where a fella used cookies to show how to fill voids. Would be a good read. They use west system epoxies.

An inexpensive way to go is polyester resin with a black dye. Polyester is cheap but has no structural integrity. If your checks are thin and your cookie is not at risk of falling apart, polyester would be fine. Otherwise, epoxy would be best. It maintains structural integrity across gaps. Polyester is rarely clear, so using colors, other than black, isn't an option. For epoxy resins, try diycountertops.com, or search countertop epoxy. you might find better prices. West System and System 3 are marine epoxies and usually more expensive. hope this helps.

I've used quite a bit of the "West System", it's a VERY good product that I like a lot.

SR

Greed wood stabilizer my cookies rarely ever crack! Not cheap but it really works. I slather it on anything i really wanna keep..Screenshot_20170719-102802.png

Latest posts

Back