Filling the woodshed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finished off filling the front of the shed for next Fall’s fires. Mix of Fir, Maple and Alder. Will finish pulling out and burning the two rows at the back and fill them soon. Retirement is a good gig.
610c217e8e27650d2deb705d7e39c94f.jpg
d3d3342a0afbcbee4af6d049e2b63bd1.jpg
bf4cc71793145c50a971c5f5a1d69569.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went 8 inch on center on the 2x4 wall then a 16 inch split contacts 2 2x4 and it was the least amount lowest cost I could figure on the wood to build and the wall should hold up a lot more snow than we get .
makes stacking fast, air flow good and the wall low cost.

I retired at 49. Greatest thing ever. Living off your bank account, not fun but satisfying, read a lot, play with the dog, fix things (fast became a necessity), learn new skills (cooking, sewing, carpentry, you know - fix it things...), etc.

Most here think if you got your saw ported, or at least did a muffler mod, the wood would split and stack itself. :confused:

Always good to get the wood put up. I have always farmed and worked in town. I took a early retirement year and a half ago because of some health issues. I sure don't miss the stress of the job in town. I haven't started drawing any of my pension's yet. Like others have said you just learn to live on a little less. I just bought another quarter section of land that I wasn't planning on buying that is next to the section we live on. The old guy that owned it didn't live around here and give me a fair deal on it. I may have to get a part time maintenance job as buying that land was hard on my saving account. Who knows the price of corn and beans may come back and we will start making some money farming again.

One thing about retirement, that no one tells you, is that time is money. Money saved that is. It is amazing all the deals out there if you have the time to look for them, or the time to make the most of a purchase. My $800 4K 50" Samsung TV, was slowly and carefully acquire from a $300 set that died an early death. The $300 was a deal from the onset, and when it died, I had the time and patience to pursue a refurbished replacement from Samsung that would have cost $800 new.

The amount of logging equipment I have found in the wilderness, while walking the dog, is worth 100s. Free stuff that people give away just to haul it away.

Learning how to make wine, 20c to 30c a bottle vs. $7 to $8 at the grocery store. Learning how to make Salami, Sourdough bread, etc. Americans pay way to much for stuff they don't need, that is to expensive, or that can be made, found, or hauled away.

I struggled this year with the wood shed. Burned a lot more last year than normal so that's where getting behind started. Burned at least 2 cords of wood that was intended for this year. I swear our heating season went 9 months last year!

Then the wet fall didn't help at all. Had close to 2 cords of elm I expected to be early burning wood but a lot of it was still 30% so it sits in the back of the shed. Was able to scrounge dryer stuff but it was a lot slower program.

Got a good head start for next year but am shooting for more if the snow doesn't pile up enough to shut me down.

Only worked 6 months this year but no where close to being ready to retire. Probably work until health gives out and then maybe do the flea market thing for a few years. But that's a lot more work than most realize.

For the past 40 years I've stacked my wood on pallets then covered the thing with a 6' x 20' tarp. While this does work, I'm thinking of creating a row of oak pallets then adding a pitched roof, ending up with a "wood shed".

This would make life easier..........

Latest posts

Back