Finally finished my wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshNY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally finished my used home made wood splitter, had to fabricate a new push plate and mount a new cylinder. Split a couple rounds of Ash tonight and it seems to be working great so far!
12810f8e144d4b2cc8f54f1563a1f899.jpg
7723a6b34cfa1440e03b03d0c2695c1d.jpg
5ca9f6afe29b328e9b197336f43be9f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Oh and found an open box discount Predator 8hp engine at Harbor Freight. Regular price $239, I got it for $82.50!
The 8hp Tecumseh on it is running alright now, but you can tell it burns a little oil, and I like these ohv engines for their fuel efficiency, so it will probably get swapped on when I have a spare afternoon!
1cca44cdb38dd8cea275a8c1e25dd2db.jpg

Your pusher looks almost identical to the one I just built for mine. I just got mine back from my brother. I figured since hes a machinist, I'd get all fancy and have him put a bushing in for the pin to go through. Are you using anything between the slide and beam to minimize wear?

Your pusher looks almost identical to the one I just built for mine. I just got mine back from my brother. I figured since hes a machinist, I'd get all fancy and have him put a bushing in for the pin to go through. Are you using anything between the slide and beam to minimize wear?
Nothing under the slide, I figure all the ones at tractor supply are built that way.
I was thinking of putting slip plate graphite spray on it to give it a little lubrication and protection.

keeping my slide and beam well lubricated is an ongoing ritual when I am splitting wood. I use everything from 30-wt and anti-seize to shots of gear oil. just depends on condition of lube's status and beam's dryness... even on the wood if too tuff. it is not a casual affair. have a lube box full of this and that for keeping the splitter good and slippery. everything in the box is for the splitter o n l y !

35 years later... still runs and operates like brand new... no beam or slide wear... sweet machine! oh! :popcorn2: ... no rust either!! :laughing:

How come you nipped the top leading corner off the wedge?
It was like that when I bought it. It was a splitter someone else made, I bought it and redid the whole hydraulic system.
The wedge is really tall, so even with the nipped off part it is still plenty tall for splitting.

keeping my slide and beam well lubricated is an ongoing ritual....just depends on condition of lube's status and beam's dryness... even on the wood if too tuff. it is not a casual affair.

35 years later... still runs and operates like brand new... no beam or slide wear... sweet machine! oh! :popcorn2: ... no rust either!! :laughing:

Some modern journalism applied to your post

:happy::happy::happy::happy:

Latest posts

Back