Finally got out cutting again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been cold and lots of snow here, SE WI. I had a tree blow over in the fence line so thought i would cut it up and burn right away. It was a elm ,been dead a while. I felt like i was in Antarctica when Looked up !View attachment 720666 View attachment 720667
Did you cut all the rest of the trees, ain't a tree in sight? [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a tree to bring down , only been trying to get to it since the first week of January , either I am busy or the weather is not conducive to falling a large maple. plan is to drop it Saturday but we will see what the weather does they are calling for rain Saturday maybe that will hold off and I can get it down in the morning.

I have a tree to bring down , only been trying to get to it since the first week of January , either I am busy or the weather is not conducive to falling a large maple. plan is to drop it Saturday but we will see what the weather does they are calling for rain Saturday maybe that will hold off and I can get it down in the morning.
I'm taking the wife and kids to Disneyworld for 10 days, leaving Friday. I hope all the snow is gone by the time I get back.

I have a Agco about the size of your NH very handy little tractor I use my a lot spot spraying in the summer. Like you we have had a lot of snow and wind. I haven't been able to cut wood in a while. It would take two days of pushing snow with the skid loader to just get out in to the pasture to get to the timber. Today it warmed up a little and is raining hear comes the mud. I think wood cutting around here is off till summer by the time it drys up it going to be time to plant corn and beans. I glad I have plenty of wood in the pole barn in the trailers to feed the Garn. Have a safe trip.

I have a Agco about the size of your NH very handy little tractor I use my a lot spot spraying in the summer. Like you we have had a lot of snow and wind. I haven't been able to cut wood in a while. It would take two days of pushing snow with the skid loader to just get out in to the pasture to get to the timber. Today it warmed up a little and is raining hear comes the mud. I think wood cutting around here is off till summer by the time it drys up it going to be time to plant corn and beans. I glad I have plenty of wood in the pole barn in the trailers to feed the Garn. Have a safe trip.
we usually still get cold nights after snow melt ,,so if i get up early i can still get some cut before it gets muddy

had been planning to get out and fall the big maple and cut all day at the farm but it was very windy with rain in the afternoon.
the farm had a Lamb that wasn't growing enough to make it worth sending to the butcher with the rest so a different kind of cutting but I did that instead.
got it all vacuum packed and in the freezer .
some days you cut heat some days you cut meat.

I got out yesterday for the third time this winter. I drove down the road and noticed everyone else did the same. It was 35 and sunny and felt like spring. This winter has not been good for cutting. The first 2 times I was cutting down small ash trees and using the little green poulan with a brand new chain. Yesterday I took down a much larger ash tree and got out the 028. From pulling the cord to cutting the tree up I remembered y I have real chainsaws and not just 100 dollar box store ones.

Going to be another month before the snow is down enough to cut much here.

Here it looks like I'll be able to fell a tree about Fri/Sat. Still have about 10" on the ground but the wx report says we will finally warm up enough (into the 40s) all week to finally thaw it off. I had the project going well at end of Jan and then Feb came with snow and it never let up. Temps been 10-20 degree below norm.

Back