Finally pulled the trigger on a new stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. I use a shovel and wheelbarrow. Quite the workout. Same price as grinding job. My trailer has a dump. Still a helluva lot of work. A dingo isn't cheap, and with the cost of all the equipment, it better be cheap. I'm debating one as well. New, you're talking over $100K with no stumps ground. I'm still thinking about it.
Good gravy man a shovel sucks take some advice get you a close tined corn fork you can thank me later. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...corn&simid=608013169034529026&selectedIndex=0

Is this “The Machine” to have in this size?

From what I have seen and heard from lots of dealers is that the new grinders are just as fast and efficient or just slightly less than the machines costing much more. I can still easily get in and do the backyard residential jobs and still have plenty of muscle for the light commercial work. Can I do a 10’ cottonwood stump as fast as a 75hp+ machine, certainly not, but my overhead operating expenses won’t be as high and it won’t really be that much slower in the long run. Just like keeping your saw chain sharp, keep your grinder teeth sharp and it’ll never beat the machine or your pillow blocks up as long as you’re not bouncing it trying to take too much wood per pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well guys, here I go again with a resuming my stump grinding business. I bought a brand new Rayco RG 45 yesterday and I’m just waiting for it to be delivered next week. It’s one of the very last models available with the 44hp kubota tier 3 diesel. Wish me luck!
That looks like a awesome rig. I like rayco great machines and great people to deal with. I had to rebuild the swing bushings and other pivot points on my rg50 this year and they had the parts to me ASAP. I’m betting it will be a money maker for you great size for getting in and out of tight spots but still having enough power for bigger stumps.
Jeez. What does that do that a skid steer with a grinder attachment wouldn't? Granted a brand new skid steer would be more $$, but a nice fairly new unit can be bought for $20-30k.

It can go through a 36” gate into a back yard and not destroy lawns a skid loader won’t do either of those.

That looks like a awesome rig. I like rayco great machines and great people to deal with. I had to rebuild the swing bushings and other pivot points on my rg50 this year and they had the parts to me ASAP. I’m betting it will be a money maker for you great size for getting in and out of tight spots but still having enough power for bigger stumps.

It can go through a 36” gate into a back yard and not destroy lawns a skid loader won’t do either of those.

I guess local area would dictate that.

Most places I've been to in this area have 10-12ft gates if their yard is fenced.

A skid steer in the hands of a novice for sure will tear up a lawn, that's true. If the operator knows what they are doing though, usually it'll be fine.... least I haven't torn up the lawn I've been on. If it's swampy, not much can be done about the ~5 tons though.

I keep plugin along with my sc 602 I have backed it in several yards if the gate ain't big enough, I remove the fence and posts and put them back. Of course I'm not looking for the one stump type jobs anywho :laughing: My best day I did 128 stumps 12" to 46" dbh at 12 dollars a stump 1536.00 is not bad for an old fart :)stumps.jpg

I keep plugin along with my sc 602 I have backed it in several yards if the gate ain't big enough, I remove the fence and posts and put them back. Of course I'm not looking for the one stump type jobs anywho :laughing: My best day I did 128 stumps 12" to 46" dbh at 12 dollars a stump 1536.00 is not bad for an old fart :)View attachment 633014

Hey ya old fart I gotta start back in the game somewhere and doing a few single jobs will start to get my name out there in this new area I’m in. LOL ya not bad at all!

Hey ya old fart I gotta start back in the game somewhere and doing a few single jobs will start to get my name out there in this new area I’m in. LOL ya not bad at all!
Yes sir there are different ways to skin a cat but at the end of the day its still a dead cat :eek: I have not seen your machine in action and I'm sure those rayco's are great. It's what is needed really that makes a purchase nullified if 90% of your work is in back yards mine would not be the best. Mine is 90% the other way so my purchase worked great for my needs!

That Kubota 44 Diesel is an absolute Beast . Did you change out the Rayco pocket and teeth or did the dealer? Who has the stock pockets , bolts and teeth? Keep that baby well greased and never lube the throttle control

That Kubota 44 Diesel is an absolute Beast . Did you change out the Rayco pocket and teeth or did the dealer? Who has the stock pockets , bolts and teeth? Keep that baby well greased and never lube the throttle control

I ordered it specifically without the Rayco teeth and ordered and installed the Greenteeth myself. I have lots of experience with Greenteeth from my first machine and absolutely love them. Some of the best part is I can use a drill press at work and use my own grinder with a green silicone carbide wheel to sharpen em as needed. Now if we can just rid of all this gd snow so the grass can come out and the phone can start ringing that would be great. LOL

Back