Finger ports: Budweiser confidence turns to Budweiser regret

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhhhhhhh yeaaaaaa brother.....

Not going to run that lol. But on a serious note, I have an ms290, made it to a 390. So I opened the exhaust pretty wide on the outlet side and raised the roof slightly, did a muffler mod, put a pop up piston in, ported the intake to where the outside is flared out and the bottom is close to the line under the intake port and lowered it a little, put on an ms440 carb with the intake flared out, mad a redneck velocity stack from a 2in pvc plug, with a sock filter on it and advanced the timing. Sounds like more than what it is, but honestly the ms290 sucks ass at milling and I already bought it. I may have spent around $100 dollars and a bunch of time reading through stuff. I know abig discrepancy is the intake boot not having the diameter for the most air flow. I have one with a rip in it that I decided to cut along the bottom, make a mold from caulk, lower the bottom, and I’m thinking to put gasket sealer for the open section. My thought on this is that the velocity and mass of air flow/gas mix will be more than normal. Porsche has incorporated the opposite of everyone for their intake manifold by opening it up. With fluid dynamics if something is pushed from a 2 in tube to a 1 in tube the rate will be the same, but the speed/turbulence will increase to compensate. When air is compressed the temp rises so what Porsche does is open up their intake wider causing the air to decompress and lower in temp which will increase power.

Soooooo long story short, has anyone ever tried to make a cold air intake system with a saw?

I know that cold weather causes a saw to run lean bc the mass of air increases. But if you increase fuel consumption would it increase power? I was thinking of making a copper tube attachment to go around the sock filter with thermal tape on the outside and square grooves bent out so the air runs against the copper. It would be something detachable that I could put in the freezer and pull it out when I need to mill.

This is really just a big experiment for me. I built Izzy swans $50 dollar saw mill out of Home Depot scrap wood, and ran into the problem of not having enough power. So I’m just here so I don’t get fined and to learn a thing or two from the experienced chainsaw users

When widening ports make sure you know where the ring gaps are. Go slow. Some different carbide rotary files will cut smoother. The round straight cutters I find cut rough but remove material faster. Then use the smooth cutter next.

Looks like a butt cushion. But really that’s how we learn.

I made suttle changes on dirtbike engines. One change at a time on three engines. The fourth engine I did all the changes on it together. It was a rocket. Then I knew what worked. These were air cooled.

Back