Fire outlook towers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ised to camp at Mohican in ohio all the time and they had one around there. But its been about 20 years since iv been there. Loved that place

There is a fire lookout tower on the hill over looking Necedah Wisconsin. It was for sale on an internet auction 6 months ago. The winning bidder needed to meet all kinds of legal stipulations, be bonded and have $2 million in liability insurance. Bidding started a $1. There were no bids. The tower is still standing.

There is one about 200 miles west of us a Hasley national forest. Years ago you could climb up and go inside. It has been close for years and you can't even go up the tower any more.

There are dozens of these in use and available for rental in Oregon. I've rented about 8 different sites and had some interesting experiences.
My favorite in Oregon is Acker Rock, which is perched atop a finger of rock with a 300+ foot rock face on the West side of the lookout.
922615.JPG

John

Rent for overnight stays and such for fun?

That is AWESOME. Can i come?

their still used around here to pinpoint where the fire is in a large open forest or park. In the area, two or three are used to triangulate where the fire is. Each tower has a compass type table and if a fire breaks out, each tower will communicate back to HQ with an angular direction from their respective tower and ten HQ can tell local fire fighters exactly where the fire is and perhaps how to attack the fire from accessible roads

View attachment 635625

They're

I'm up in North idaho, there are still several lookout towers up here. I've got Corral Hill lookout about 7 miles from my house. Another one we still staff in the summer is Walde lookout and Hemlock lookout. Walde is at around 5,220 ft elevation and the tower itself is around 110ft tall, it's one of the taller ones. You have quite the view from the cabin on top!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Been to Hemlock butte lookout a few times. Awesome place. We used to go see lookouts on weekends, really enjoyed seeing them. Haven’t rented one yet but plan on it this summer. Alaways thought it would be fun to work at one. Several around this area (McCall) haven’t seen too many of them yet, most don’t have roads to them.

Have quite a few around here.
This was needles lookout in the sequoia national forest before it burned in 2011. It had a chimney fire.
Needles.jpg

There are dozens of these in use and available for rental in Oregon. I've rented about 8 different sites and had some interesting experiences.
My favorite in Oregon is Acker Rock, which is perched atop a finger of rock with a 300+ foot rock face on the West side of the lookout.
View attachment 637234

John

What does it cost to rent?

View attachment 637234

John

Buck Rock L/O on the Sequoia
14116dc487859bde298a2bd464de6f24.jpg
dba36f7cb83f2e270d63881546279913.jpg

And Parkfield in Sequoia NP
af452c7adb5ab38fdf2c3df78c313e2e.jpg

Erik

This is the Gardner Fire L/O atop Mt Tamalpais in Marin County, Ca.
Operated by volunteers with training from Marin County FD.
It sits on the North side of the Golden Gate Bridge

Gary Yost is one of those volunteers and cinematographer that has done some amazing stuff incorporating the L/O, the Mountain and the Panoramic views

Erik

Back