Fire Season During A Pandemic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody’s getting screened before they even so much as walk into the station now. Interagency crews won’t be moving around as much as they would normally be... In theory. It’s definitely better for the crews health but we may be looking at a lot of fires with less aggressive IA that get big because of short staffing. I’ve already read a report from Montana where a shot crew didn’t go to a fire that would have been a two hour drive.

My guys have already been told we’re probably not leaving R8 barring an event never seen before in 2 or 9 (like the whole state of Maine going Ft. McMurray in 2016), and we’re literally 10 miles away & across a river from R9 m. Florida, Georgia, Alabama & Mississippi have been burning all spring and... No call.

I hate to say this, but I wish they'd shut the woods down for camping. Loggers have fire fighting equipment and prevention know how. Campers and picnickers are often clueless or just don't care. It was always hard to insist that logging operations had to shut down when you drove by smoky campgrounds on the way to the site.

I heard an interview where our state (DNR) plans on using aircraft more this year to try to limit the crews needed on the ground.

Patty it is good to hear from the Huckleberry Cookie Queen. I hope everything is well with you. I read the entire Grist article and I have to say there was way too many anecdotal stories and testimony from retired employees. Mainly my gripe is there was no mention of the Module as One. This to me is a very logical concept to keep FS crews as safe as possible during the pandemic.
https://www.wildfirelessons.net/orp...umentKey=b120e081-9a4a-4087-8303-d54cb0dec0a0

Holy moly, patty is still here! Good to hear from you. Had a blast visiting with you at the Montana GTG metals406
I wanted to head that way this year and ride my bike up and down the Going To The Sun road. But that ain't happening. Meanwhile, I have been cleaning and fixing my little travel trailer so it is ready to go if we get smoked in this year.

Latest posts

Back