Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OUTRAGEOUS

Despite what the news says I think it was smaller than the one in Alaska. AFAIK the only evidence of that one was the video from the plane. Military might have some data, but probably not anything public.

I also don't think these tornados in a fire are really all that rare as there are witness accounts of them going back at least a hundred years. We certainly are able to observe them better now using everything from weather radar to cell phone video. All of that will help us learn a lot more about fire behavior. But they can never be rare enough, when they develop it looks like they own anything that gets in the way.

The Mendo Complex set a CA record today for most area burned, 283k acres and not near finished.

My only beef is that it's really two fires as of now.

I had the proverbial "cold rush of S**t to the heart" Sunday evening when a grass fire started about a quarter mile upwind of my house. Cal Fire was on it in 5 minutes and had it out soon after, thankfully.

Here in Santa Cruz while I can't say it was cold today it was certainly cool and humid. Like a late October day. Much of the overcast is drift smoke from up north, everything has an orange-ish cast to it. Even today's morning fog was orange.

I've been working about 30 miles away near Big Basin State Park in an area that can best be described as being in a micro climate. Cool drippy mornings with warm, dry afternoons. There have been numerous small fires near us for the last month but none have grown past a few acres. Still, I carry a truckload of firefighting gear just in case. I will be at the property tomorrow because even though it is high summer I'm beginning to prepare for winter. Last time here I was checking and marking culverts and rolling dips. We typically get at least some rain late next month.

Nate you should see the POISON OAK we have! If there is a World Cup of PO we would be undefeated. Leaves bigger than your hand!

Nate you should see the POISON OAK we have! If there is a World Cup of PO we would be undefeated. Leaves bigger than your hand!

I said NO THANK YOU SIR

Meanwhile, I got lit the hell up by a ground nest following a hoselay out to a road tonight, a dozen or so stings, first time I've ever had that happen after dark. This proves again why I put my faith in the dozer, the chainsaw, and the drip torch, because water is false security.

Then change the caption on your avatar!

Oh, that? It's just because I live in Olympia.

embossed%20Olympia%20beer%20sign.jpg

Back