Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The news is reporting a skycrane crashed in Australia while fighting a wildland fire. It crashed "into a dam" and is laying upside down under water. The crew thankfully escaped unharmed. Dangerous work those guys do. At least we fallers have a chance to run away.

I recently saw a documentary on water-escape training for helicopter crews. Rough business, that, even in the relative safety of a training environment. I'll post it here if I can remember where I saw it.

The news is reporting a skycrane crashed in Australia while fighting a wildland fire. It crashed "into a dam" and is laying upside down under water. The crew thankfully escaped unharmed. Dangerous work those guys do. At least we fallers have a chance to run away.

Here he be : Elvis up on the Klamath
84686de58caec0e7db35a8dfe946eac7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric do you happen to know what Helitanker it was that crash? We had 732 camping out in the big parking lot next to friant dam since August for Calfire, good group of guys on the ground crew.

Eric do you happen to know what Helitanker it was that crash? We had 732 camping out in the big parking lot next to friant dam since August for Calfire, good group of guys on the ground crew.

It was 732 (N173AC) “Christine”

Sorry “Elvis” is 739 (N179AC)

My mistake. Right Helitanker wrong name, should be “Christine” not “Elvis”
Each has a nickname stenciled across the front under windshield (?)

My mistake. Right Helitanker wrong name, should be “Christine” not “Elvis”
Each has a nickname stenciled across the front under windshield (?)

It was Elvis(n179ac)hanging out with us at millerton, found a Facebook photo from when they made an emergency landing near prather this past fall.

Accident yesterday to a volunteer firefighter while dealing with a brush fire. This is all that has been in the news so far: https://www.benningtonbanner.com/stories/arlington-firefighter-burned-by-power-line,569568
Freak accident that could have turned deadly. This town is next door to me.
ington firefighter burned by power line
Posted Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:51 pm
By Darren Marcy, Manchester Journal
ARLINGTON — An Arlington firefighter was injured Wednesday evening after a live 7,200-volt power line fell on him while crews were battling a brush fire.

Jeremy Fisher of the Arlington Fire Department was injured when a large oak tree, which was hollowed out and burning from the inside, was blown over in the strong, gusty wind. While the tree missed him, it pulled power lines down onto Fisher.

Fisher was transported from the scene of the fire to a landing zone where he was airlifted to Albany Medical Center.

On Thursday, Albany Medical Center said they had no information to share, but Arlington Fire Chief Jamie Paustian said his firefighter was recovering in the surgical intensive care unit at the hospital and he had spoken to him Thursday morning.

Details of his condition or injuries were not immediately available, other than that Fisher had suffered burns.

Paustian said the 1 - to 2-acre fire they responded to about 6 p.m. was fed by a steady wind that was constantly changing directions with strong gusts.

"We kind of knocked the fire down relatively quick," Paustian said, but in one area several large trees, including an old oak tree about 4 feet in diameter, were near power lines and one oak was hollowed out and burning inside.

Paustian said firefighters were consulting with an employee of Green Mountain Power when the tree began to go.

"We were assessing the tree when it started to crack," Paustian said.

Firefighters started yelling to clear the area, but "Jeremy was running the power blower and couldn't hear us," Paustian said.

Paustian immediately ordered an air evacuation as Fisher lay unconscious next to a live wire.

"We couldn't initially get to him because the lines were down and still live," Paustian said.

Eventually, a GMP employee was able to make his way into the scene and dragged Fisher out of the danger zone.

"Four of our members carried him out of the woods to the rescue squad that was waiting," Paustian said.

Manchester Fire Department had been called and set up a landing zone for the helicopter.

Contact Darren Marcy at [email protected] or by cell at 802-681-6534.
PRINT

I read the article when you first posted the link, and still for the life of me cannot understand why the guy was close in to a hazard tree to begin with. Especially running a piece of gear where he couldn’t hear. Maybe he didn’t know it was a hazard, but then you have to question the guy’s situational awareness. Or maybe it was a freak accident, albeit a preventable on that should not have happened.

What I really want to know is why the rest of the crew is assessing the hazard tree while another guy is in the danger zone not paying attention. I get it, we all probably get too close to hazards, but eventually command needs to clarify what’s a problem, and what isn’t, even if it’s just the person in charge of rhe crew. Lastly, why did command let the whole crew appraise the tree with the utility company rep? The crew boss and the sawyer are the only two people who should be part of that conversation. Everyone else needs to stay the hell back.

Back