ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Fire

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by Gologit, Jul 7, 2012.

1. catbuster

catbuster Catskinner. And buster.

Our T6 rig has only been out twice this year. Which is two more times than it had been out last year, but we had a record-breaking spring with rain last year. Everything’s green, or flooded insofar this year. Come late July/August that may change if the pattern follows normal trends.

We’ve gone to a UHF radio system. We did it a little over a year ago, and I’m still not much on it. We lose signal going down into basements or canyons. I like that my portable can call someone else across the county or into the next one over, but I don’t like the lag of it having to go to a tower and back. And if the towers go down... We’re on 8Call90 channels that are worse than VHF.

TheBrushSlasher likes this.
  2. madhatte

madhatte It's The Water Staff Member

We're already starting to lose all of our green. I suspect it's gonna be a busy one, with fuels curing out this quickly.

Skeans likes this.
  3. fool skip

fool skip ArboristSite Member

I've got a question for you fire guys. I've got a Sugar Pine tree on BLM property about 75 feet from my property line and about 200 feet from my house. It's 32" on the stump and about 100' in height. This thing just flamed out red about 2 weeks ago. I have permission from BLM to cut it. I can utilize it with my chainsaw mill. My question is would I be better off to let it stand till Fall or fall it now and pile the brush? It's too late to burn and too hot for milling till Fall. I'm asking for a view firewise. Thanks!

4. madhatte

Gone red in the spring usually means it succumbed over the winter to drought stress the summer before. Odds are that it's not the only stressed tree nearby. Be on the lookout for more mortality over the next year. I don't have a strong opinion either way as to whether to cut it now or in the fall; standing dead and piled brush are two different hazards that amount to about the same risk. If your defensible space is well maintained, I'd think that either decision is about the same in the long run.

Jacob J., catbuster and fool skip like this.
  5. catbuster

catbuster Catskinner. And buster.

Slash piles will light off easier, but a dead crown will give longer flame lengths & burn hotter. Two very different types of fire behavior, if you weigh everything it probably evens out-smaller hazard, more likely vs larger hazard but much less likely. If the one tree has redded out I’d be watching the others later this year.

It probably doesn’t matter if you wait or not. Especially if you have some space around your home/buildings/shop that’s clear.

Jacob J., madhatte and fool skip like this.
  6. madhatte

^ better words than mine

7. Drptrch

Drptrch Addicted to ArboristSite

8. Jacob J.

Jacob J. Tree Freak

As already stated, it's a zero-sum game in terms of fire danger - it really boils down to what works best for you. Do you have a good clear shot for falling the tree into?

Done that many times. In the old days, when a person was getting their HECM/HEMG certification, a hover hook-up was required. I did my first hover hook-up under the Apple Valley S-58, which was quite the experience.

catbuster and Drptrch like this.