Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone just sent this to me, it’s our Engine 613 and 604 on the 2019 Kincade fire in Sonoma County when it blew down into the Chalk Hill valley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang! I have a lot of burn piles built air quality is not looking good.

Hey how’s it going my friend. All good I hope.

They’ve been burning like crazy daily up here in Sonoma County from the Coast inland. Lots of burn debris to get rid of
Hell they even gave me one and im in the BAAQ District . Switches to the less restrictive Northern Sonoma Co district bout 15 min North of me .

AQM, LOL!

calfire doesn't really seem to care for the AQM folks either. So many wasted burn days if you only burn on "burn days."

The brush is going to burn one of these days...better to do it during the winter\spring than feed the wildfires!

Hey how’s it going my friend. All good I hope.

They’ve been burning like crazy daily up here in Sonoma County from the Coast inland. Lots of burn debris to get rid of
Hell they even gave me one and im in the BAAQ District . Switches to the less restrictive Northern Sonoma Co district bout 15 min North of me .

Things are going well for me thank you.

I am working on three projects at camp. Right now our biggest concern is making the insurance company happy, which I don't think is possible. We are 2 miles or so from the CZU scar, we were shut out for a few weeks but no damage. When our insurance came up for renewal the previous insurer just laughed and hung up the phone. Now we are in some sort of "last resort" insurance pool that has pretty strict requirements that if we don't meet them in about a month we will have to pay a huge penalty, like our rate may double in price! In addition they imposed a 1.5 million dollar limit per camp. We just put 7 million dollars of new buildings at one camp alone. The camp I work at has two 1.5 million dollar buildings next to each other.

The second project is prepping for a CFIP grant project that will be (mostly) a masticator job. The grant project will not clear within 50'of a road and 300' of buildings. We have to meet CFIP, CEQA, EPA, County, and a few other agencies' requirements. Cal Fire has been great but they called a full stop after fire siege 2020 to see if they still had money left. We are just now getting some reassurances that we will be able to proceed.

The third project is the one I have been working on for over two years, thinning, reducing the fuel load, reforesting, and making our camp a bright sunny experience for the campers (when Covid has been dealt with).

BUT THEN Emperor Newsom got involved! As you know he is decimating the Conservation Camp program. He closed eight camps January 1st and is not back filling the remaining camps. Each camp IIRC is set up for five inmate hand crews of roughly 16 crew members. Our camp, Ben Lomond, can barely field two crews of 11 or 12. You know better that I do the what controls a wildland fire is aircraft, dozers, and hand crews. (And who else is going to pick up the hose municipal Type 3s lay out for structure protection? How many miles of hose was laid in Cali this year?)

Without the inmate crews only illegal alien crews are available to do this kind of work. Yes I know Cal Fire now has seasonal "civilian" hand crews and more are coming but so far these crews don't put out near the work the inmate crews do, at least from what I've heard.

Things are going well for me thank you.

I am working on three projects at camp. Right now our biggest concern is making the insurance company happy, which I don't think is possible. We are 2 miles or so from the CZU scar, we were shut out for a few weeks but no damage. When our insurance came up for renewal the previous insurer just laughed and hung up the phone. Now we are in some sort of "last resort" insurance pool that has pretty strict requirements that if we don't meet them in about a month we will have to pay a huge penalty, like our rate may double in price! In addition they imposed a 1.5 million dollar limit per camp. We just put 7 million dollars of new buildings at one camp alone. The camp I work at has two 1.5 million dollar buildings next to each other.

The second project is prepping for a CFIP grant project that will be (mostly) a masticator job. The grant project will not clear within 50'of a road and 300' of buildings. We have to meet CFIP, CEQA, EPA, County, and a few other agencies' requirements. Cal Fire has been great but they called a full stop after fire siege 2020 to see if they still had money left. We are just now getting some reassurances that we will be able to proceed.

The third project is the one I have been working on for over two years, thinning, reducing the fuel load, reforesting, and making our camp a bright sunny experience for the campers (when Covid has been dealt with).

BUT THEN Emperor Newsom got involved! As you know he is decimating the Conservation Camp program. He closed eight camps January 1st and is not back filling the remaining camps. Each camp IIRC is set up for five inmate hand crews of roughly 16 crew members. Our camp, Ben Lomond, can barely field two crews of 11 or 12. You know better that I do the what controls a wildland fire is aircraft, dozers, and hand crews. (And who else is going to pick up the hose municipal Type 3s lay out for structure protection? How many miles of hose was laid in Cali this year?)

Without the inmate crews only illegal alien crews are available to do this kind of work. Yes I know Cal Fire now has seasonal "civilian" hand crews and more are coming but so far these crews don't put out near the work the inmate crews do, at least from what I've heard.

Busy guy !!

Pick up hose ??
80,000 + feet, tanks, pumps, trash from the North Fire in La Porte
80ef62d8355b609c150fc3855b630721.jpg

11b5f5bab93ba1c1d24a1bcd135aa3c3.jpg

Lotta starts out here in both Central and Southern California, big wind event with low, low Rh’s.
We had 50-60 mph gusts and Rh of 12 on the peaks

Was out near Willow Creek/Hoopa, CA on the Salmon Complex. Can't believe what the Carr Fire did to Redding. I had old pictures from years ago when coming through Redding and going to Hoopa/Willow Creek. The landscape wiped out from what it was before.

Was out near Willow Creek/Hoopa, CA on the Salmon Complex. Can't believe what the Carr Fire did to Redding. I had old pictures from years ago when coming through Redding and going to Hoopa/Willow Creek. The landscape wiped out from what it was before.

Followed by the Delta/Hirz fire on Interstate 5 and then the Explosive, Destructive and Deadly Camp Fire a few months later in November that destroyed The Town of Paradise

Went for a run the Demon Dog ride yesterday. Lots of new fencing in the area where the Cold Springs fire blew through in September. My favorite grove of aspens, which were colorful in the fall, is toast. The only green areas were the patches of winter wheat. Salvage logging was going on where there were trees.

DSC01468.JPG

DSC01467.JPG

Went for a run the Demon Dog ride yesterday. Lots of new fencing in the area where the Cold Springs fire blew through in September. My favorite grove of aspens, which were colorful in the fall, is toast. The only green areas were the patches of winter wheat. Salvage logging was going on where there were trees.

View attachment 893697

View attachment 893698
hi sp - swell pix. pix of Washington... looks like places i had hunter deer with my Dad...

Back