Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This fire related weather event in early hours on September 6 during the Creek fire has kinda been forgotten about. Thunder and Heard in oakhurst, north fork, and auberry with lightning seen by shuteye lookout then the big column collapse.
creek-fire-sept-06-dakota-smith-v2_orig.gif

This fire related weather event in early hours on September 6 during the Creek fire has kinda been forgotten about. Thunder and Heard in oakhurst, north fork, and auberry with lightning seen by shuteye lookout then the big column collapse.
creek-fire-sept-06-dakota-smith-v2_orig.gif

The video capture of collapse’s and wind shifts has been a great visual training tool to emphasize the severity and how quickly things can go to Crap

The “Beaver Fire” 2013 (I think)entrapment on (Lessons Learned) on the Klam was a direct result of outflow winds from a T-cell on the opposite side of the fire. Footage is from those involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This could have been a lot worse for these guys on Williston rural fire department.

God damn, that fire blew up into the crowns in a hurry.

I wish I could tell you I don’t do that with my Type 6 engine, but the honest answer is that I think everyone does it. The fire looks like it’s at an awkward stage to fight, too intense to go after indirectly but too small to keep one foot in the black. Either way, they had viable escape routes but were way too close for their own good.

Just curious if other fire guys are having to "retrofit" the clear plastic case for your fire shelters? Our local outfits "recommend" that this be done, due to some people finding that the shelter does not shake open easily enough. The retrofit is you cut a 1/4" slit in either side of the case just next to where the red strip is attached (etc.)

I'm a believer in If it ain't broke don't fix it, and these shelters (mine's a 2009) have been serving. If I ever have to deploy, I'm pretty sure I'll shake that thing loose.

Is this necessary? Are others doing it?

Yesterday I lit off burn piles number 89 and 90 for this season. They were wet and didn't burn well but at least some fuel was reduced. Unfortunately these two piles are likely the last of the season (which ends 4/30) because the rest are on slopes and are pretty dry. I don't want to be on the front page of the local fish wrapper for starting a fire. This unit has had 5 piles escape in the last week.

Just curious if other fire guys are having to "retrofit" the clear plastic case for your fire shelters? Our local outfits "recommend" that this be done, due to some people finding that the shelter does not shake open easily enough. The retrofit is you cut a 1/4" slit in either side of the case just next to where the red strip is attached (etc.)

I'm a believer in If it ain't broke don't fix it, and these shelters (mine's a 2009) have been serving. If I ever have to deploy, I'm pretty sure I'll shake that thing loose.

Is this necessary? Are others doing it?

I hadn't heard that, but we're training with Cal Fire on Sat and I'll ask when we do shelter deployments.

We'll be doing our wildland refresher Saturday. I'll find out more. One guy in our dept. was offering to do the retrofit recently, but I didn't hear more so I passed on the opportunity.

Since I don't have the adhesive dot material to cover the vent holes, I hesitate to go forward with this. Will find out more in a few days.

It's been quite a year. We had one 2020 fire that jumped the continental divide, was burning in the tundra on the way over, which I believe is a first on both counts.

There's also some consideration about two fires that began in Boulder County in mid-October, both in same neighborhood, with no apparent means of ignition, and people wonder if embers from a fire west of the divide could have jumped and started these two. The first one (Calwood Fire) began at a moment when we had sustained 50 mph winds from the west. That would have required a 30 mile travel thru the sky. The greatest documented ember travel before was 18 miles (in Australia). My first reaction would be to discount a 30 mile ember ignition, but we are in unprecedented times so who knows.

It's been quite a year. We had one 2020 fire that jumped the continental divide, was burning in the tundra on the way over, which I believe is a first on both counts.

There's also some consideration about two fires that began in Boulder County in mid-October, both in same neighborhood, with no apparent means of ignition, and people wonder if embers from a fire west of the divide could have jumped and started these two. The first one (Calwood Fire) began at a moment when we had sustained 50 mph winds from the west. That would have required a 30 mile travel thru the sky. The greatest documented ember travel before was 18 miles (in Australia). My first reaction would be to discount a 30 mile ember ignition, but we are in unprecedented times so who knows.
Could have been pyrocumulonimbus lightning, The Creek fire had spot fires from lightning 10-20 miles from the main fire which were confirmed by the national weather service because they were monitoring what the pyrocumulonimbus was doing on radar because it had strong rotation, can't issue a tornado warning when people are evacuating.

This is what I saw.
IMG_20200905_135714423.jpg

We have had a couple recent rekindles in the CZU Lightning Complex. That fire started August 16th, 2020 and burned more than 86,000 acres.

Yep not enough deep wetting rain or snowpack melt for some of these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back