Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the new mill in Auberry is burning. Both log decks, equipment, and milled lumber.Screenshot_20210616-152835~2.png

Yep, they were running the mill and something sparked into the dust pile. It was a large portable mill, The guy was just getting the business up and running too and got a grant from the USDA to build a permanent mill. I drove by there early yesterday and saw where his equipment was between the log decks. Those log were well seasoned because they have been there for 5 years.

Last week the hand crew accidentally started a fire by saw exhaust. They were bucking a punky madrone log that had been dropped a few days prior and was laying, fortunately, in a fairly cool redwood grove. Not wanting to cause a ruckus the sawyer drained his camelbak and sent an inmate to the crew bus to fetch a 5 gallon back pump, which had to be filled from the drinking water tank. I was 30' away but I didn't know what was going on, once i found out I grabbed a pressurized water extinguisher from my back seat and helped out. No real fire broke out and you are the only people I have told so keep it quiet.

BTW I carry two dry chemical fire extinguishers, a pressurized water (with dish soap in the water), a 5 gallon back pump or sometimes two, and hand tools. Our property is all slope. Any fire would get a running start before it reached the buildings.

Last week the hand crew accidentally started a fire by saw exhaust. They were bucking a punky madrone log that had been dropped a few days prior and was laying, fortunately, in a fairly cool redwood grove. Not wanting to cause a ruckus the sawyer drained his camelbak and sent an inmate to the crew bus to fetch a 5 gallon back pump, which had to be filled from the drinking water tank. I was 30' away but I didn't know what was going on, once i found out I grabbed a pressurized water extinguisher from my back seat and helped out. No real fire broke out and you are the only people I have told so keep it quiet.

BTW I carry two dry chemical fire extinguishers, a pressurized water (with dish soap in the water), a 5 gallon back pump or sometimes two, and hand tools. Our property is all slope. Any fire would get a running start before it reached the buildings.
Yep. Sparks are not the only issue. I burn some bark once in a while just with the exhaust heat. It is enough heat to cause real dry stuff to ignite.

Hope I'm posting this in the correct spot haven't been around for some time and there's been some changes

Looking for a new fire pump and have three to choose from

Honda wh15.
Honda wh20
BE Pressure HPFC-2065HR

kinda leaning towards the BE due to the more flow and pressure

any insight or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

The lava fire is kicking some butt.
http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-Weed&v=fd40729
I have some questions for you guys who do this wildland fire thing for a living.
I've been watching this unfold since it broke initial containment. it was declared contained at 15:30? On the 24th and crossed the line at 9 or 10 pm that night with single tree torching observed through out the night. They had couple helicopters come in around 9 in the morning and by that time were getting some spot fires but kept up with them until things started to heat up more. At 10 things were starting to get real active, the two tankers were sitting at Redding available at that time but didn't get called until after noon some time.

If there is a wilderness issue how long does it take usually to get approval to use retardant in wilderness and if not why wait so long to get extra aircraft that were available? I know there's various layers of bureaucracy go through before that can happen and not every forest in California has the excellent mutual aid relationship that the sierra has with it's neighboring Calfire units.

Hope I'm posting this in the correct spot haven't been around for some time and there's been some changes

Looking for a new fire pump and have three to choose from

Honda wh15.
Honda wh20
BE Pressure HPFC-2065HR

kinda leaning towards the BE due to the more flow and pressure

any insight or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks
I would go with the BE pump because pressure is king with this style pump in the wildland world.

I only suck **** for money

The Lava Fire ran 8 miles yesterday!
That one is an hour south, We got the smoke here, almost, the SW wind kept the smoke from getting us.
Front my backyard looking East
vczaZ6.jpg

Front porch looking West and Norh
I7cMEy.jpg
O4MLG5.jpg

Latest posts

Back