Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This canyon is about 600' deep where Cody is standing. The smoke layer is 75' below him but higher on the far side. We were working at the very bottom of the canyon along the river channel. It was tough to breathe and hard to see very far. The cameras and phones were confused where to focus.

This tree will hopefully recover and repair itself by putting on new wood. The plan here is to monitor this tree every couple of months. Redwoods can put on new wood fast.

1628597bf7dfbbe3a3ce5ac98accb91e.jpg
d96d14e195ca28147fc3c31d76969fee.jpg

Opening was 7' across the bottom and about 18' high.

Sequoia's amazing mass !!

image.jpeg 15 years today, boys & girls. 15 years. I still want the guys I knew back...

The photo is from the memorial at the firehouse today. 343 helmets in total. One for every member of the FDNY lost. Each with the individual's name, rank and unit number. The lower flag has the red stripes made up of the names of the 343.

Nate given all the facts I'd bet you would says YES, maybe even HELL YES. I took this pic out my truck window and as you can see the tree is headed down the slope. The stump is 20' above me on the opposite side of the road. This tree was deemed to hazardous to fall so it was crippled and blasted. The stump shatters hence the name "fuzzy stump". It sorta looks like a lightning strike. I haven't examined the tree but I suspect I will be fetching it for milling.

Nate given all the facts I'd bet you would says YES, maybe even HELL YES.

Heard that. We had a few on a fire this year that really wanted blasted, and the thought occurred to me, "why not call the EOD's to blast it?" Management said "we'll figure out how to do that in the off-season", some of the offending trees burned out and fell over when nobody was driving by, we bucked the mess out of the road, and hopefully we'll remember the lessons learned next time. One of them took a DZOP an hour or two to dig out. A few others got pushed over with the Gradall. The pic a page or two back of me cutting up a cedar was one that I considered falling, and even had a plan for, but decided that it wasn't worth the risk since it would burn out soon enough that we could just keep the road blocked. Once it fell, it was only a half hour before we had it clear with a front-end loader. I bucked it while waiting. No harm, no foul. It's worth noting that bicyclists are complete idiots and pay no attention whatsoever to overhead hazards and have to be almost forcibly turned away from fires. Even then, they are resentful. Thanks, jerks, I just saved you from dying, don't mind the filthy guy with the chainsaw, he's just here to ruin your fun.

When you guys decide that a snag is to dangerous to be felled and must be brought down with explosives which agency handles that? USFS, state resources or private contractors? I never even knew that was an option for the most dangerous trees

Heard that. We had a few on a fire this year that really wanted blasted, and the thought occurred to me, "why not call the EOD's to blast it?" Management said "we'll figure out how to do that in the off-season", some of the offending trees burned out and fell over when nobody was driving by, we bucked the mess out of the road, and hopefully we'll remember the lessons learned next time. One of them took a DZOP an hour or two to dig out. A few others got pushed over with the Gradall. The pic a page or two back of me cutting up a cedar was one that I considered falling, and even had a plan for, but decided that it wasn't worth the risk since it would burn out soon enough that we could just keep the road blocked. Once it fell, it was only a half hour before we had it clear with a front-end loader. I bucked it while waiting. No harm, no foul. It's worth noting that bicyclists are complete idiots and pay no attention whatsoever to overhead hazards and have to be almost forcibly turned away from fires. Even then, they are resentful. Thanks, jerks, I just saved you from dying, don't mind the filthy guy with the chainsaw, he's just here to ruin your fun.
I was on a vehicle accident several months ago and I almost had to tackle a rider to the ground to keep him from riding through our road block. I guess live power lines arcing and dancing across the blacktop are no big deal to them......

I was on a vehicle accident several months ago and I almost had to tackle a rider to the ground to keep him from riding through our road block. I guess live power lines arcing and dancing across the blacktop are no big deal to them......
Those freakin' guys.

Latest posts

Back